YES

It's been a long time I have had my Blackberry Storm (nearly for 2 two years), used it in all sort of situations ... and today I realize (after 3 weeks of using another "data" phone) that RIM is limiting somehow the speed of BIS users.

It's not just a perception, when I check mobile speed tests, the Storm didn't achieve more than 200-300kbps in full bar 3G coverage. My new phone gets 1.100kbps easily.

But let's take reality :

� Google Maps was painfully slow many times in retrieveng data
    � Navigation was sssssslooooowwwwwww

And now, I don't have issues nor with google maps, nor with navigation.

I don't think this is my carrier's fault, because I'm still with the same carrier, and the same data plan (changed from blackberry data plan to non-blackberry , at the same price) ... so I believe RIM is not priorizing giving high speeds in 3G, perhaps due to it's compression method or another reason.

It's just a comment I wanted to leave because it seems nobody bothers about this, but I swear it's a reality.
    10-14-10 03:38 AM
    It's not them throttling it so to speak.. it's that your data is being encrypted along the way for one. The other, is the fact that your data is also being transported to the RIM NOC before it actually comes back to you. Not making excuses for it.. Personally, I think their could be a better implementation created but, it is what it is.
    10-14-10 03:49 AM
    It's not them throttling it so to speak.. it's that your data is being encrypted along the way for one. The other, is the fact that your data is also being transported to the RIM NOC before it actually comes back to you. Not making excuses for it.. Personally, I think their could be a better implementation created but, it is what it is.
    I understand it's not done on purpose, but I take your last phrase, I also think there is a way to better implement this ... perhaps some years ago it had no impact due to low speeds in mobile data, but nowadays, with fast 3g coverage ... it makes a HUGE difference!
    10-14-10 03:55 AM
    Well your storm wasn't a HSPA+ 3G phone.

I went from a CDMA '3G' device that had 1XEV to Bells upgraded HSPA+ network and its night and day on my 9700.

Maybe instead of bashing RIMs service, you should have gotten a faster BB to test with your comparison.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 07:10 AM

I went from a CDMA '3G' device that had 1XEV to Bells upgraded HSPA+ network and its night and day on my 9700.

Maybe instead of bashing RIMs service, you should have gotten a faster BB to test with your comparison.

I'm sorry but I don't quite get it .... both my current phone and the Storm are UMTS/HSDPA compliant ....
    10-14-10 09:22 AM
    What's your new phone? Is it a BlackBerry or some other device? One thing to consider is that BlackBerrys are limited to a 624 MHz processor and only have 256/512 MB flash memory while other newer smartphones have a 1 GHz processor and access to additional flash memory.
    10-14-10 12:31 PM
    What's your new phone? Is it a BlackBerry or some other device? One thing to consider is that BlackBerrys are limited to a 624 MHz processor and only have 256/512 MB flash memory while other newer smartphones have a 1 GHz processor and access to additional flash memory.
    It also has alot to do with the BIS/BES servers that Blaze mentioned.

my Magic has a 528 MHz Qualcomm MSM7201A processor in it and it is lightyears faster than my 9700 was. page for page on the native browsers, PRE-HPSA+ days. I'm talking on standard HSPA (3G)...
    10-14-10 02:21 PM
    I own a Pixi , it has a Qualcomm 600mhz processor and 256 mb ram , so I believe this is not the point.
    10-14-10 03:12 PM
    No, it's not you. I was loading pages on the old Bell network on my Pre far faster than a BB counterpart on the same network.

Even on the new network, against my mothers Torch, my Vibrant loads and renders 3 pages in the time it takes hers to render the first one.

Network has nothing to do with it. The only difference was she has BIS and I don't. FWIW, my sisters 9780 on the same network was the same result.
    10-15-10 07:12 AM

The network had nothing to do with it. He is comparing two phones on the SAME NETWORK. There shouldn't be that kind of disparity, and as you can see from my previous post I can recreate the same thing on the new Bell network as well, between Vibrant/Torch and Vibrant/9780. Maybe you should re-read his original post before bashing him. It's a valid question - I didn't realize how much RIM BIS slows down web browsing until I was no longer saddled with it.
    10-15-10 07:14 AM
    The network had nothing to do with it. He is comparing two phones on the SAME NETWORK. There shouldn't be that kind of disparity, and as you can see from my previous post I can recreate the same thing on the new Bell network as well, between Vibrant/Torch and Vibrant/9780. Maybe you should re-read his original post before bashing him. It's a valid question - I didn't realize how much RIM BIS slows down web browsing until I was no longer saddled with it.
    can't agree more with you
    10-15-10 09:30 AM
    So correct me if I'm wrong but what this means is that BIS acts as a sort of proxy kinda like when users connect thru AOL to get to the www. Although AOL used to kill network speed capability along with sucking the life out of cpu and ram.
    10-15-10 10:43 AM
    So correct me if I'm wrong but what this means is that BIS acts as a sort of proxy kinda like when users connect thru AOL to get to the www. Although AOL used to kill network speed capability along with sucking the life out of cpu and ram.
    yes it is a proxy, it encrypts data and delivers it via several servers property of RIM around the globe
    10-15-10 11:28 AM
    Can u change the encryption type or how strong it is to speed things up?
    10-15-10 01:37 PM
    Can u change the encryption type or how strong it is to speed things up?
    no you can't
    10-16-10 03:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD