There are many unanswered points here which makes it difficult to compare.
    10-01-12 10:38 PM
    Today I got to use an iPhone 5. My sister got one last week so she let me play with it today. Definitely light and fast, but like all my experiences with Apple's OSs I was overall underwhelmed. I have an iPod Touch, and iPad and my wife is on her third iPhone. Ehh. I still love the Blackberry.

When looking at my sister's iPhone, I started showing off my Bold 9900 running 7.1. In particularly I wanted to show off how easy it is to do things on a Blackberry like replying to an email. On a Bold, you can do it in 4 ways: Press and hold on the screen and select reply, press and hold the trackpad, press the Blackberry Button and select reply and just hit "R" on the keyboard. This really is quite impressive if you think about it. There is just about 2 to 4 ways to accomplish one task on the Blackberry.

I pressed on the screen to bring up the icons and immediately my sister said that the Blackberry looked so dated. I was surprised. Most 'dated' comments about the Blackberry are really about OS 4. I delved a little deeper asking her what about the OS looked so dated. She said the icons don't look modern and the response to touch seemed old fashioned.

I don't get it. Am I just blindly in love with Blackberry that I can't see that this thing is dated. Don't get me wrong, the Blackberry is very functional so I could really care less what other people think. It just surprises me that I feel that OS 7.1 is a very modern OS with its transitions, responsiveness and fluid home screen but other feel that this is dated. Where Blackberrt is outdated is in how it loads software or its not up to par ecosystem, but the OS feels great to me. Other OSs don't seem to look that much more advanced.

What am I not seeing here because the common thought is that Blackberries are outdated. Am I blind.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yes, OS 7 looks dated, just as iOS6 looks dated. That is where BB10 needs to step in and be a game changer. There can be three results:

Either BB10 is an underwhelming disappointment,

OR BB10 is incredible and changes the game, making people rethink the way they use their devices,

OR BB10 is so radically different that it feels alienates new users and falls in to oblivion.

I am rooting for the second option, myself.
    10-01-12 10:40 PM
    This disclaimer automatically elevates you to being one of the most objective people here. We all should be so honest.
    There should be no need to state overtly that we are BlackBerry fans here. It is a fan site for BlackBerrys after all. I can't imagine why someone who is not a fan would be here other than to stir things up with a few newbie posts.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-02-12 12:24 AM
    When I send someone with an iPhone a text with ":)" in it, it shows that iPhone user ":)". However, when someone (BB user or any other phone user) sends me a text with ":)" in it, my Bold converts it into a real smile emoticon. In that regard, BB7 is much more advanced that iOS. I fact, iOS is VERY outdated when it comes to this situation.

What people need to realize is that all of the main Smartphone OSes (BlackBerry, iOS, Android, and maybe Windows Phone) have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Masahiro likes this.
    10-02-12 01:26 AM
    I actually have to say that of my two devices, my Torch not only looks slicker and faster to me personally (up against an Amaze 4G running ICS), it actually performs on par or better for my most commonly performed tasks: reading RSS/news feed updates, working with e-mail, facebook networking, occasional twitter updates (rare but it happens and exclusively from my Blackberry), instant messaging / SMS messaging. To be honest, the only reason I still carry this other phone is because of Skype, the better quality camera, and the faster data speeds for (and slightly better battery life while using) the wi-fi hotspot function. Sometimes 42mbps can actually be visibly seen when up against 14mbps. Oh and the better audio sound while listening to music, but that's honestly it.

Sorry, getting off track there.... the look and feel of OS7 and 7.1 is not dated in comparison to iOS, and from my personal experience I'd say it's on par or very close with Android Gingerbread (ICS is a little more slick, but not necessarily more functional) And the multiple ways of doing things mean that people can choose the option that works best for them, rather than being stuck with only one way to do things... thereby making people more efficient in their daily dealings. When I use my blackberry, I really do feel like I'm using a modern device that keeps me in the loop, and that is far more important than having a device that doesn't do what I need my phone to do nearly as well, regardless how glossy or "new" it is.
    10-02-12 01:44 AM
    dated?? no. im running os6 on my curve 3g until i can get my hands on bb10. but ive had a lot of experience with os7 and the new apple os6. i think its funny how apple recycles their stuff, puts it in a new phone with amazing changes like a slightly taller screen, and a new charging port and they call it new or an innovation.
    10-02-12 02:27 AM
    When I see people here claim they've never had to do a battery pull on their 9900/9930, I assume they are really light users...or just lying.
    10-02-12 02:48 AM
    I don't feel that it's dated. I absolutely love my 9900 and when I swap my SIM card to either the 9810 or the 9860 I only last a couple of days on it. I've got several themes, such as Seven Point Five, that I swap out as the mood strikes. As I have always done with all my BBerries. (And I'm REALLY hoping there is some of that on BB10 or I'll be on OS7 for a VERY long time!)

The iPhone UI....now, THAT'S dated. It was the original reason I didn't jump on the 4S when it first came out and the main reason I won't jump on the iPhone 5 at the moment.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-02-12 at 04:16 AM.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-02-12 03:59 AM
    When I see people here claim they've never had to do a battery pull on their 9900/9930, I assume they are really light users...or just lying.
    I have hardly done any battery pulls.
    And I am a pretty heavy user/abuser of my bb, not only in terms of calling, texting, messaging but also a number of apps and macros.

Sent from my  9900 using Tapatalk
    esk369 likes this.
    10-02-12 05:26 AM
    they both just look like square icons on a screen to me. the iphone has more. That's really the only visual difference I see when looking at home screens. Now maybe when you get into menus its a different story but i haven't played with an iphone since the original iphone4

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    10-02-12 05:58 AM
    When I send someone with an iPhone a text with "" in it, it shows that iPhone user "". However, when someone (BB user or any other phone user) sends me a text with "" in it, my Bold converts it into a real smile emoticon. In that regard, BB7 is much more advanced that iOS. I fact, iOS is VERY outdated when it comes to this situation.

What people need to realize is that all of the main Smartphone OSes (BlackBerry, iOS, Android, and maybe Windows Phone) have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Some advantages are more important to people than others.
    10-02-12 07:06 AM
    Yes and has for sometime. Key word is "looks".

If we had a theme maker for the dam thing I am sure it would look much better. More modern.

But then RIM says "its coming".

Bite me.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    10-02-12 07:47 AM
    There should be no need to state overtly that we are BlackBerry fans here. It is a fan site for BlackBerrys after all. I can't imagine why someone who is not a fan would be here other than to stir things up with a few newbie posts.
    Concur. Though I'll air some criticism and "me too" commentary concerning Blackberry, I own BB products because I like them.

As an aside, it's worth noting that BB fans here are for the most part more understanding and tolerant of such criticism, whereas if one posts something on an Apple board about a perceived flaw in their devices, they may well be dogpiled by extreme Apple devotees who fling insults and tell them to leave for another device.
    10-02-12 08:20 AM
    Concur. Though I'll air some criticism and "me too" commentary concerning Blackberry, I own BB products because I like them.

As an aside, it's worth noting that BB fans here are for the most part more understanding and tolerant of such criticism, whereas if one posts something on an Apple board about a perceived flaw in their devices, they may well be dogpiled by extreme Apple devotees who fling insults and tell them to leave for another device.
    Okay, now that is funny...

I think our veteran members are a bit more open-minded.
    10-02-12 08:25 AM
    BB7 is fully functional. YES.
    But beside that its based on a system that make it inherently clunky and not so rich graphically. It's just not fluid.
    And let's be honest, RIM realised this years ago but you do not fix that by clicking your fingers. You code, code, code but most importantly you need a base that handles all that better, QNX.
    Let's not kid ourselves, we have looked dated versus any version of iOS. But then we would as we have had BlackBerrys for ages now.
    10-02-12 09:09 AM
    The question to me is whether they are required or not. And I think for a device that has a clean OS image, with a recent official carrier OS, and has a modest app load installed battery pulls are mostly not needed. That's been my experience with 3 OS7 devices to date.

Do people DO battery pulls a lot when they really do not have to? Probably. Probably every time some app seems to mis-behave or for any number of reasons. On a BB you can pull the battery so they do.
    10-02-12 01:23 PM
    I had no idea you could reply to a thread by simply hitting "r"
    10-02-12 03:15 PM
    Today I got to use an iPhone 5. My sister got one last week so she let me play with it today. Definitely light and fast, but like all my experiences with Apple's OSs I was overall underwhelmed. I have an iPod Touch, and iPad and my wife is on her third iPhone. Ehh. I still love the Blackberry.

When looking at my sister's iPhone, I started showing off my Bold 9900 running 7.1. In particularly I wanted to show off how easy it is to do things on a Blackberry like replying to an email. On a Bold, you can do it in 4 ways: Press and hold on the screen and select reply, press and hold the trackpad, press the Blackberry Button and select reply and just hit "R" on the keyboard. This really is quite impressive if you think about it. There is just about 2 to 4 ways to accomplish one task on the Blackberry.

I pressed on the screen to bring up the icons and immediately my sister said that the Blackberry looked so dated. I was surprised. Most 'dated' comments about the Blackberry are really about OS 4. I delved a little deeper asking her what about the OS looked so dated. She said the icons don't look modern and the response to touch seemed old fashioned.

I don't get it. Am I just blindly in love with Blackberry that I can't see that this thing is dated. Don't get me wrong, the Blackberry is very functional so I could really care less what other people think. It just surprises me that I feel that OS 7.1 is a very modern OS with its transitions, responsiveness and fluid home screen but other feel that this is dated. Where Blackberrt is outdated is in how it loads software or its not up to par ecosystem, but the OS feels great to me. Other OSs don't seem to look that much more advanced.

What am I not seeing here because the common thought is that Blackberries are outdated. Am I blind.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yes and no, what you need to understand is...from a usefulness standpoint it isn't dated...it doesn't bog up and slow down randomly really. From a marketing standpoint, it is, and so is the iphone.

In fact, once the BB goes B10, the iphone will have the mosted dated OS....period.

Older than Windows, Nokia, RIM, and Android of course.

What she is really saying is, your phone looks familiar....but what does that even mean besides exactly what she said.......nothing
    10-02-12 03:47 PM
    The BlackBerry java OS is the oldest one out there at them moment. I see that as a plus to be honest. I chose to go with the OS 7 as at the time QNX as they were calling it, now BB10, was going to release April 2012. As I had a playbook and had an idea of how the OS was doing I didn't want an underdeveloped OS on my cell. Didn't mind it on a tablet that I use primarily to surf the web and play media on, but wanted to wait for the os to grow and use the mature OS 7 in the mean time.

My point is that they have spent 11 years growing this java OS. It is dated and does need to be replaced but in the mean time we have a very reliable, secure, and highly customizable OS. Can't tell you how many times I have been frustrated that I can't do X on my playbook that I have always done on my phone. Well that is because all those little goodies were baked into our blackberry phones over 11 years. Who can even count or comprehend them all much less replicate them onto a new system while simultaneously improving functionality, features, and interface?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    10-02-12 07:42 PM
    No it doesn't. BB7 is fast, absolutely safe and easy to use. My work phone is Android and it drives me crazy!!!
    10-04-12 03:24 PM
    No it doesn't. BB7 is fast, absolutely safe and easy to use. My work phone is Android and it drives me crazy!!!
    Which one? Just curious.
    10-04-12 04:02 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD