...I hook up my personal blackberry BIS account to my work [exchanged] based email?

I am not one that is fortunate enough to get a work blackberry, but there are times where I need to check it, and accessing the Outlook Web Access site from my BB can be quite the headache. Just for giggles, I put in my work credentials in the "Email Setup" icon on my BB and it worked, and I am now getting work emails on my personal BB.

I just deleted it because I know it's against policy, but will they be able to tell that I did that (as a test?)?
    11-05-09 02:41 PM
    I too am wondering about this.. For my wife, she is a worry wart. I tell her "Dont worry about it" but I feel like I am lying
    11-05-09 03:16 PM
    Why would it be against policy if you can access your mail through OWA on any computer, then what's the difference?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 03:30 PM
    If there is a actual Policy that you are not to use your personal BB for work email then you should NOT do it, dont risk it. Though why dont you just ask and say "hey i will pay my own way but i would like to be more productive and use my BB with work email". The worst they can do is say no.

Funny though if you can hook up your BB to your Exchange server using mail setup, im wondering if it uses OWA access vs using the BES at your job. Are you putting in the OWA address when doing mail setup?
    11-05-09 03:33 PM
    Why would it be against policy if you can access your mail through OWA on any computer, then what's the difference?
    Probably a similar policy most federal agencies have about giving your password to a third party email aggregator (gmail, bis, etc). Boilds down to a breach of security for those passwords to be stored in a location not secured by them.
    11-05-09 05:18 PM
    Probably a similar policy most federal agencies have about giving your password to a third party email aggregator (gmail, bis, etc). Boilds down to a breach of security for those passwords to be stored in a location not secured by them.
    Good point I guess as you enter the password manually each time (ie it's not stored) to access OWA from a PC.

11-05-09 05:26 PM
    I'm a BES admin at work and this doesn't sound right. The only way you can connect to your BES is for the admin to add your account to the server and give a unique password to activate.

If you're accessing corporate email via OWA then the answer is no they will not be able to tell if your using a workstation or handheld device.
    11-05-09 05:28 PM
    I'm a BES admin at work and this doesn't sound right. The only way you can connect to your BES is for the admin to add your account to the server and give a unique password to activate.

If you're accessing corporate email via OWA then the answer is no they will not be able to tell if your using a workstation or handheld device.
    Actually the Exchange logs can/will show the type of access, i.e. OWA vs. BIS, vs. Windows Mobile.
    11-05-09 05:56 PM
    Actually the Exchange logs can/will show the type of access, i.e. OWA vs. BIS, vs. Windows Mobile.
    +1.

They won't be able to tell via the BES server, but they can check OWA accesses on the Exchange server.
    11-05-09 10:52 PM
    I went just through the email set-up icon on my BB, entered my email address and password, and it worked w/o a hitch. I didn't have to enter the address of my OWA account or anything.

It's just odd this would work...but it does...
    11-06-09 08:55 AM
    what happens when you access the Outlook Web Access email from the phone's browser?

what does it show as on the enterprise side
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 11-06-09 at 02:51 PM.
    11-06-09 02:38 PM
    All your BIS is doing is accessing your webmail page and loging in that way. I had a previous job where that's what we did saved money by not having BES. But they still knew who was using a berry by the ip used to login and the frequency of the checks.

11-06-09 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD