Just to clarify...

Hooked for 10 years now.
    09-23-13 02:46 PM
    Nope, just business as usual, just less bashing from wall st. Hopefully

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:53 PM
    Yes it does.
    09-23-13 02:56 PM
    But couldn't Fairfax decide, "let's break it up and keep only the patents." or something along those lines.

Hooked for 10 years now.
    09-23-13 02:57 PM
    Nobody on this forum will be able to answer that, or even make an educated guess. There isn't enough info yet.

If you're looking for opinions, you'll get tons.

Mine is that there will be a break-up and sell off of assets, and what's left behind will be what Fairfax believes is the portion of Blackberry that will most easily turn a profit with as little risk as possible. Hardware business will be gone, QNX will be gone (or gutted). The focus will be on enterprise software solutions and possibly BBM (although that's up in the air too).
    richardat likes this.
    09-23-13 02:59 PM
    Probably not.

Prem Watsa has been a strong supporter of BB for the past couple of years. He's also pretty chummy with both Mike Laziridis and Thorsten Heins, so I don't see the company breaking up in the near term. In a couple of years, who knows?
    der_mit and Fr3lncr like this.
    09-23-13 03:00 PM
    Nobody on this forum will be able to answer that, or even make an educated guess. There isn't enough info yet.
    I agree. But let's speculate and be creative. That's the point of forums.

10+ years. Since Black and White.
    09-23-13 03:02 PM
    Lets put it this way. Blackberry as a public company has free use of shareholder money. If you are a shareholder, you give them money in return for stock. The company is under no obligation to ever return that money to you. They keep it and use it as they wish for as long as they wish. They can offer a dividend if they like but they don't have to.

Now, if they buy all those shares and go private then they will have debt holders and shareholders. Those guys want to get paid on a regular basis. If the company has $2.5B in cash, then at least 10% of that is Prem Watsa's and he's probably done seeing it get wasted. If there are a couple billion in patents then he's going to want some of that to turn into dollars. And if Microsoft wants to buy the mobile business by itself just go get the enterprise customer accounts and migrate them to Windows Phone then he will probably sell it.

The guy isn't in the smartphone business, he's in the finance business. I'll bet he can't wait to get out of the smartphone business.
    richardat likes this.
    09-23-13 03:05 PM
    You said what I've been thinking.

10+ years. Since Black and White.
    09-23-13 04:55 PM
    Nope, just business as usual

Posted via CB10

Not sure this is a good thing...
    09-23-13 04:57 PM
    Some moves by BB have made me wonder what the future held.

The Gary Klassen to TAT, Alex Kinsella to BBM? Maybe they were preparing for dismantling and moving people to "secure" locations.
    09-23-13 05:39 PM