Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timmy t
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Does this make any sense?

RIM and how the West was lost - thestar.com

"....It said BlackBerry sales fell in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. while its growth was largely derived from developing markets where lower cost, legacy BlackBerry handsets predominate...."

Aren't all handsets sold now throughout the world "legacy handsets"?
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (01-26-2013) 
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,638 Global Posts

I agree with OP 100%. These kind of misconceptions are ridiculous. I talked to a guy in Germany that believed blackberry's comeback had already come and gone with failure. Same idea.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    RIM and how the West was lost - thestar.com

"....It said BlackBerry sales fell in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. while its growth was largely derived from developing markets where lower cost, legacy BlackBerry handsets predominate...."

Aren't all handsets sold now throughout the world "legacy handsets"?
    I would assume that the "low cost legacy" devices would be indicative of models such as the Curve, and other lower end BB's. While 9900's will at some point be considered "legacy" due to the fact BBOS itself will be pretty much retired, I don't think it could be considered low cost in "growing" nations.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    I would assume that the "low cost legacy" devices would be indicative of models such as the Curve, and other lower end BB's. While 9900's will at some point be considered "legacy" due to the fact BBOS itself will be pretty much retired, I don't think it could be considered low cost in "growing" nations.
    How did I know you would be twisting words when I saw you were the newest poster?

The quote clearly states "legacy". For there to be a legacy something newer has to be OUT and RELEASED. There's no way around it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    How did I know you would be twisting words when I saw you were the newest poster?

The quote clearly states "legacy". For there to be a legacy something newer has to be OUT and RELEASED. There's no way around it.
    So older Curve models wouldn't count? If a newer Curve model was released, and yet they had thousands of older model curves still sitting in backrooms and decided they would sell them to developing countries, would those not be considered legacy?
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    So older Curve models wouldn't count? If a newer Curve model was released, and yet they had thousands of older model curves still sitting in backrooms and decided they would sell them to developing countries, would those not be considered legacy?
    Legacy typically refers to an old system, not just an old model in the technology world. That is how it is primarily used, and why the OP and myself find this an inappropriate and confusing way to use the word.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN

Default Re: Does this make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Legacy typically refers to an old system, not just an old model in the technology world. That is how it is primarily used, and why the OP and myself find this an inappropriate and confusing way to use the word.
    Not necessarily "system" though. It can be used to refer to models as well.. Which in the tech world, is a much more common association.

I understand what you and the OP are referring to.. However you have to remember who these "journalists" are.. Most of them are just trying to earn a living and aren't experts in the tech field by a long shot..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Rollin' on Twitter

i think you are reading way to much into it what was said. Most of RIMs sales for the past couple quarters are coming from the lower cost phones in markets besides US, canada and the UK. Its not exactly a secret.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN

Default Re: Does this make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    i think you are reading way to much into it what was said. Most of RIMs sales for the past couple quarters are coming from the lower cost phones in markets besides US, canada and the UK. Its not exactly a secret.
    Exactly. Lower cost phones in emerging markets have been RIMS bread and butter for the last couple years. Whether they are technically "legacy" or not is a moot point

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Rollin' on Twitter