We have the option of 911 only or location on.

My understanding is that "location on" make the GPS data location available to apps like BB maps and Google Maps.

Does this keep the GPS function on all the time as well, or do individual apps turn on the GPS when "location on" is enabled?

I'm concerned about the effect on battery life. I'm going to do an anecdotal test to see if my batteries drain faster.

On a related note, is there a shortcut for toggling GPS services?
    11-22-08 10:08 PM
    We have the option of 911 only or location on.

My understanding is that "location on" make the GPS data location available to apps like BB maps and Google Maps.

Does this keep the GPS function on all the time as well, or do individual apps turn on the GPS when "location on" is enabled?

I'm concerned about the effect on battery life. I'm going to do an anecdotal test to see if my batteries drain faster.
    No, unless you are using a program that is accessing the GPS chip (which does use more energy than when it is not being used) you are not loosing battery life.

Its like the radio in your car, its always there, but your car doesn't do anything with it unless the radio is activated.

On a related note, is there a shortcut for toggling GPS services?
    No, the only reason this would be needed is to disable location for a program (say Facebook adds a where am i feature one day) and that is accessible in settings > advanced options > applications > edit permissions
    11-22-08 11:36 PM
    Awesome, thanks!
    11-23-08 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD