Yes, Jolla and BB10 are very similar but Jolla comes without all the BlackBerry stuff remember. The blackberry stuff alone will be more attractive to some.

Blackberry, almost 10 months from launch now has more features, less bugs although some remain.

Out of the door Jolla will lack features and have bugs. It is missing some features right now but they plan on doing monthly updates.

They need to fix those things fast or their phones won't sell well in the long run.

I've had plenty of experience with blackberry beta os's so I'm not fazed by early issues.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 06:02 AM
    They also said updates every month. Hollar!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 06:23 AM
    Apparently their updates are going to be named after Finnish lakes.

There are over 180k Finnish lakes... lol

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 06:30 AM
    I still think they can be profitable, if they follow the Xiaomi model of production and selling by batches. Though, I'm not sure if BlackBerry can / will actually do that.
    12-01-13 06:40 AM
    the biggest difference is they are a staff of under 100 people I think and they arent even trying to sell numbers like BB wants for bb10.
    Absolutely +1. This is the first thing I thought when I heard about the phone, and the most important point for any BBRY fans asking 'How the heck can something like this expect to fly when BBRY is having such trouble making its way back?'

It's a totally different storyline.
    12-01-13 08:05 AM
    I think one of the more exciting aspects of Sailfish OS is that they will be releasing it for people to flash onto their existing Android device. Like what Ubuntu is doing. This will allow folks to easily use the OS without needing to buy new hardware. I will be doing it with my Nexus 4 the second it becomes available.
    12-01-13 10:29 AM

My question is: what can make them better than BlackBerry? I cannot see them succeed where BlackBerry struggles.
    Anyone here belives in their success? What are your reasons?
    I believe

Define 'succeed '

They are 80 men team vs approx 8000 employees BlackBerry corporation.
    There don't need a company jet to call them successful.

Reasons?
    -they are open source
    -they are Linux based
    -they are not NSA aproved

Above give them huge ang genuine geek community support . Not millions but substantial number of users.

-Android hardware support =
    Jolla Sailfish OS on samsung galaxy / note, on Google Nexus, on Sony Xperia
    -Jolla is most natural upgrade for nokia N9 MeeGo OS users. Possible few hundred thousand of them.
    -china with already vibrant, massive market for android based devices but outside Google ecosystem ( they are used to Play marketplace alternatives)

Posted via CB10
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    12-01-13 11:06 AM
    They are open to multiple vendors. That is the biggest thing to me. If they get some adoption from the also ran of Android who are looking to make it big with a new system like say HTC or Sony on top of these former Nokia people I expect them to run away from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:14 AM
    That YouTube video didn't impress me. The most exciting moment was the coffee spilling money shot.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 01:17 PM
    No, yandex only has 85k apps...
    I don't think Jolla will do well at all unless they are cheap, near free cheap with no terms

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 03:02 PM
    As far as I know, Jolla has way less market share compared to BB. And if they do somehow pass BB (or gain any traction) we know that BB is doing it all wrong.
    12-01-13 03:33 PM
    Jolla is only avail in Finland atm. Their main plan is to target china. Obvie they'd have less market share than BlackBerry atm.

Nokia said 600k n9s were sold (which I don't believe). If even half buys Jolla they'd be successful enough.

JollaOS is already avail for nokia phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 05:26 PM
    Jolla / Sailfish has one huge advantage over BlackBerry, which is actually similar to the advantage that Windows Phone currently enjoys. Simply put, their name is not "BlackBerry". This means they aren't subject to constant bashing in the media, a bad taste from previous flops, and everyone assuming that their new product is just a rehash of that thing they hate from 4 years ago.

This means that their product is able to compete on its own merits, plain and simple.

Also, because they're a small group, it means that they're not required to sell a million devices up front. They can build slowly, and gain momentum over time.

I wouldn't compare company sizes in terms of what they're able to produce, either. Remember that a small company like this is usually full of almost entirely "good people," while a larger company tends to have a lot of "mediocre" people and managerial layers in addition to all the good ones. As such, it takes them many more people to accomplish the same product development goals.
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    12-01-13 08:01 PM
    Not sure if I'd say Jolla is better than BB10 exactly. It does have something that BB doesn't though, and that is the Nokia legacy. If I remember correctly these are guys who left Nokia shortly after it switched to the WP OS. In essence, they have the design of old Nokia hardware and software. I'd assume that the pre-WP era Nokia still has a pretty huge following, and the Jolla fellows are banking on that. If it takes root... we'll see.

Then again... Blackberry has the business-y reputation which is about as well known as the Nokia invincibility rep.
    12-01-13 08:17 PM
    Not sure if I'd say Jolla is better than BB10 exactly. It does have something that BB doesn't though, and that is the Nokia legacy. If I remember correctly these are guys who left Nokia shortly after it switched to the WP OS. In essence, they have the design of old Nokia hardware and software. I'd assume that the pre-WP era Nokia still has a pretty huge following, and the Jolla fellows are banking on that. If it takes root... we'll see.

Then again... Blackberry has the business-y reputation which is about as well known as the Nokia invincibility rep.
    I don't believe that there reputation will turn into sales

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 09:24 AM
    Hard to say. Jolla is open sourced with options to run terminal on phone like Ubuntu touch

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:49 PM
    I believe

Define 'succeed '

They are 80 men team vs approx 8000 employees BlackBerry corporation.
    There don't need a company jet to call them successful.

Reasons?
    -they are open source
    -they are Linux based
    -they are not NSA aproved

Above give them huge ang genuine geek community support . Not millions but substantial number of users.

-Android hardware support =
    Jolla Sailfish OS on samsung galaxy / note, on Google Nexus, on Sony Xperia
    -Jolla is most natural upgrade for nokia N9 MeeGo OS users. Possible few hundred thousand of them.
    -china with already vibrant, massive market for android based devices but outside Google ecosystem ( they are used to Play marketplace alternatives)

Posted via CB10
    Define open source?
    Yes it's definately more open than BB10 but not as open as we want it to be.
    See link concerns/critisisms
    Sailfish(Jolla): Ideas/Qns & Concerns/Criticisms - maemo.org - Talk

Jolla / Sailfish has one huge advantage over BlackBerry, which is actually similar to the advantage that Windows Phone currently enjoys. Simply put, their name is not "BlackBerry". This means they aren't subject to constant bashing in the media, a bad taste from previous flops, and everyone assuming that their new product is just a rehash of that thing they hate from 4 years ago.

This means that their product is able to compete on its own merits, plain and simple.

Also, because they're a small group, it means that they're not required to sell a million
    Agree, Jolla starts with a clean slate.

Owning a Z10 and a Jolla, and having to take into account Sailfish is still in beta on the Jolla:
    Sailfish doesn't have anything to offer which is better than on BB10 for me (at the moment).
    I surely hope they can get on par with some funtionalities BB10 offers, as I got pretty hooked on BB10, while BB10 was only my planning to be a temporary replacement after getting rid of the N9 till the time Jolla came out.
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    02-02-14 01:51 AM
    Bingo

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 11:35 AM
    02-03-14 10:36 AM
    Yes.
    But then BlackBerry offers something better also.
    It depends on what you require

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 10:55 AM
    The key is they are a small group building to the future.

BlackBerry is a big company that is struggling to find a niche where they can make a profit. Very difficult to do when that niche is several billion dollars less than what you were use to.

Also Sailfish was designed with Android support all along.... we have the ability to load Android Apps, but it is an ability that is "officially" meant for Developers and apps installed via BBWorld.
    propeller10 and Louis Larsen like this.
    02-03-14 10:59 AM
    An interesting os in many ways
    02-03-14 12:54 PM
47 12