I am using my Verizon 8130 in Mexico. The maps are horrible but it's still fun to use the only functioning app Vzw has allowed us to use for GPS. I've noticed however that I can never get a GPS signal when the radio is off, which is bogus because the maps for the area I'm in are already cached so I shouldn't have to turn my radio on and re download the maps. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Specifically on Verizon BB's that just had thier GPS chip half-@ssed unlocked?
    12-22-08 04:21 PM
    Yes it does. HOWEVER, most (if not all) blackberry GPS programs connect to the internet to download maps. So while you don't need the radio on to get a signal, you need the radio on to download the maps and show your position. Garmin has offline maps, however its not for BB's which I am p!ssed about.
    12-22-08 04:23 PM
    TrekBuddy - J2ME application for GPS tracking can use offline maps, has no online function actually. You can use Googleak to aquire maps suitable for use with TrekBuddy.
    12-22-08 08:39 PM
    TrekBuddy is really good. I'm heading to Peru in 2 weeks and have downloaded several gigs worth of maps at various zooms. Googleak is good. I also like "TrekBuddy Atlas Creator" also works well.
    12-22-08 08:45 PM
    Only problem is that I have a Verizon Pearl and they have failed to unlock the GPS chip to anything but BBMaps and VZNavigator
    01-04-09 08:06 PM
    8x30 GPS will not work with CDMA radio off.
    01-06-09 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD