I've just recently bought my first blackberry and I'm on the Bell network. I specifically chose the $15 monthly plan because most of the places I spend my time in have WIFI that I can connect to for my internet use.

Then today I receive a Bill from Bell charging me for a months worth of mobile browsing use over their network. I promptly called in saying that all the uses they had on the bill must be an error as I've been using WIFI all along. (I removed the Bell browser icon from the home screen, leaving only the regular browser AND also switched the default setting to HotSpot Browser so I wouldnt accidentally use 3G browsing.

No, I didn't disable the radio while I browsed on Wifi because I still wanted to receive calls/emails/bbm messages etc. I'd understand if it was 3 -4 instances of using the mobile browser and not wifi but this is over 100 different instances!

So I call bell and I'm told that Bell can also charge you to use wifi in your own home. This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me but I figured I'd make sure before I go barging into the nearest bell store ready for a fight.

There is no way Bell can legitimately charge a customer for browsing when they are using wifi in their own house is there?
    01-14-10 11:03 AM
    I'd suggest posting this on the Bell forums at Howard Forums, where there is a little more Bell rep traffic
    01-14-10 11:13 AM
    You've got to be kidding. How can Bell even justify that?

Please keep us posted on what you find as my wife just got a Bell Bold 9700 with one of the biggest reasons being the wifi options. I can hardly wait for the next war with Bell to begin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 04:56 PM
    They can not charge you for using wi-fi as you are using the internet connection from your router. It sounds like the wi-fi must have been dropping and your phone was switching to using the network. This is a tough subject because Bell's argument will be that you are using the network and it is your responsibility to control your data usage.

I don't know much of the wi-fi options and settings yet as I only ever use the network. I would turn off the data connection while you want to connect to your router, use the wi-fi, then turn your data back on when you are done using the wi-fi connection.

What are you using the browser for while you are at home anyways? You could steer clear of the issue by just using your computer. :P Simply solution.

Cheers,
    01-14-10 07:28 PM
    Hey Oduzay

Have you found a solution to this? I too noticed a small charge (for the last few months) on each bill and when I called, Bell didn't really know what it was.

They had no problem crediting me.... which was good.

They were helpful and went through everything that it could be. They confirmed (I spoke to a techie) that using Wifi on your own connection (router) wouldn't cause you to get billed -- Wifi they cannot charge you for.

So, they looked everywhere on what could be causing this charge (in my case it was very small $2 per bill).. but it said browser usage.. and I know for sure (100%) that I did not use the Bell Browser.. I have it setup to use HotSpot... Besides that -- I never surf the net on the unit anyhow.. so even the $2 charge shouldn't have been there...

In the end -- they were cool about it.. reversed the charge.. said they made a note in my "file" if it happens again the charges will be reversed..

I'm more curious as to why it's happening though.. the $2 is nothing.. more of a nuisance when you know that your setup is fine and this shouldn't happen.

Overall.. I'm actually surprised.. they were cool. no hassle at all to reverse the charge (probably cause it was only $2).. but interesting to note..

I've read elsewhere that others who have the same $40 Unlimited Email / BB Messenger / Text plan.. also noticed these small nominal charges for browser usage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DrakesBB
    03-04-10 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD