Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Troy Tiscareno
  • 2 Post By Troy Tiscareno
  • 2 Post By howarmat
  • 1 Post By howarmat
  • 1 Post By Troy Tiscareno
  • 1 Post By Troy Tiscareno
  • 2 Post By JeepBB
  1. Chicago777Guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,134 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,136 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Does BB need business focused promo's to attract professionals

    Like 1 year free Wall Street Journal Subscription, Barrons , Forbes etc...
    Or Discount on Airlines lounge memberships...something that could pull executives and professionals....

    Posted via CB10
  2. TgeekB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,320 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,664 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago777Guy View Post
    Like 1 year free Wall Street Journal Subscription, Barrons , Forbes etc...
    Or Discount on Airlines lounge memberships...something that could pull executives and professionals....

    Posted via CB10
    I actually think that would be a great idea. That's where they should be advertising also.
    I use what I want.
  3. Stephen N Cooper's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    BlackBerry needs commercials and endorsements. It's a monkey see monkey do world in the US. What one don't see, they won't buy. Pretty simple concept actually.

    Posted via CB10
  4. Troy Tiscareno's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,534 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    BB is focusing on enterprise sales, which aren't made because someone reads a magazine ad. They are made because a corporate sales rep liaises with the IT department and CIO/CTO of the company and tries to convince them that they have the best solution for that company's needs.

    Don't expect to see many ads.
    JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
  5. Stephen N Cooper's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    No ads, no sales.

    Posted via CB10
  6. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I feel BlackBerry should focus on anything other than Enterprise consumers for now, cause that's exactly why they aren't selling much in the States.

    Even if they are to focus on enterprise for a strategy to get more mainstream users in, enterprise users have long missed that boat and are now using their various BYOD devices. It wouldn't be wise to backtrack and focus on these guys anymore.

    It's time to go for the whole pie now...

    Posted via CB10
  7. Troy Tiscareno's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,534 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    It's time to go for the whole pie now...
    Unfortunately, that was exactly their strategy when launching BB10, and BB10 has been a huge flop on the consumer market. The only place it's getting any traction at all is in the enterprise market, which is why BB is focusing there.

    You are right, of course, in that the enterprise market is effectively shrinking due to BYOD, and that there is far more competition than, say, 5 years ago during BB's glory days, but it's the only play BB has. The brand is too damaged in the consumer space; it would take billions in marketing and PR to try to turn around the brand perception, and that assumes that the marketing would be extremely effective (something BB has never been able to pull off before). BB simply doesn't have that kind of cash, or that kind of time - there are too many other demands for the money it currently has in the bank.
    Thanked by:
    Speedygi (12-12-2013) 
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
  8. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Tiscareno View Post
    Unfortunately, that was exactly their strategy when launching BB10, and BB10 has been a huge flop on the consumer market. The only place it's getting any traction at all is in the enterprise market, which is why BB is focusing there.

    You are right, of course, in that the enterprise market is effectively shrinking due to BYOD, and that there is far more competition than, say, 5 years ago during BB's glory days, but it's the only play BB has. The brand is too damaged in the consumer space; it would take billions in marketing and PR to try to turn around the brand perception, and that assumes that the marketing would be extremely effective (something BB has never been able to pull off before). BB simply doesn't have that kind of cash, or that kind of time - there are too many other demands for the money it currently has in the bank.
    This doesn't mean BlackBerry should forget about the consumer market though...Yes, they do need a minor miracle to turn around the public perception but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep at it in the consumer market. Microsoft has been well known to be constantly throwing money behind their Windows phone and Xbox platform and now they have been reaping some of the rewards and seen better sales from those two products this year.

    I know it isn't an easy road but eventually they will have to tackle the giant of the problem which is the consumer market. Without such a focus down the road, they will never ever break out of that rut.

    Posted via CB10
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    This doesn't mean BlackBerry should forget about the consumer market though...Yes, they do need a minor miracle to turn around the public perception but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep at it in the consumer market. Microsoft has been well known to be constantly throwing money behind their Windows phone and Xbox platform and now they have been reaping some of the rewards and seen better sales from those two products this year.

    I know it isn't an easy road but eventually they will have to tackle the giant of the problem which is the consumer market. Without such a focus down the road, they will never ever break out of that rut.

    Posted via CB10
    why do they have to try to compete in the consumer world? They pretty much show they cant. They just dont have the $$$ to compete on the scale the other players do. I believe its been stated several times about going back to the roots or going for prosumers etc. This all leads to exiting the consumer market basically and focusing on enterprise and such
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
  10. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    why do they have to try to compete in the consumer world? They pretty much show they cant. They just dont have the $$$ to compete on the scale the other players do. I believe its been stated several times about going back to the roots or going for prosumers etc. This all leads to exiting the consumer market basically and focusing on enterprise and such
    They would have to, at some point, because that's where they have been competing in ever since their enterprise target demographic has slowly begun to include the consumer market along the way...without the consumer market coming in the picture they will never have a good chance at greater revenues and thus greater success.

    In other words, they are just a handset business for enterprise and very little else...

    Posted via CB10
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    They would have to, at some point, because that's where they have been competing in ever since their enterprise target demographic has slowly begun to include the consumer market along the way...without the consumer market coming in the picture they will never have a good chance at greater revenues and thus greater success.

    In other words, they are just a handset business for enterprise and very little else...

    Posted via CB10
    what about BES and the many services that go along with that? they dont even need BB handsets for that.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    TgeekB likes this.
  12. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    BlackBerry's revenue largely comes from handsets, and for them to forsake the consumer market where a majority of that handset revenue comes from, would be more than a little detrimental to their survival. To focus on enterprise and services would drastically downgrade their businesses from even BBOS 7 days where they sold a ton of Bold 9900s and such...

    Posted via CB10
  13. Troy Tiscareno's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,534 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    The problem is that BB can't simply "wish" their handset business into success, and they can't keep throwing money at it when they aren't selling. BB isn't Microsoft, which has $100+B in the bank and makes billions in profit off of other products every year. Just because handsets used to be their main source of revenue doesn't mean they have to keep making them when handsets continue to be a huge loss. The market has changed, and BB simply didn't change fast enough, and the harsh reality of the market is that BB10 handsets weren't commercially successful.

    You don't get infinite "second chances" in the business world. BB10 was BB's "second chance" and they blew it in many ways, and despite the fact that a relatively small number of people really, genuinely LOVE the product (I get that, and I'm not saying that you are wrong for doing so), the market as a whole has rejected BB10. At its peak, BB10 never broke 1% marketshare, and today, its marketshare is so close to zero that it's a rounding error.

    BB still has significant costs ahead of it, and if it wants to survive AT ALL, it has to make radical, unpopular decisions. Just because a company was ONCE a multibillion-dollar company doesn't mean it always will be. That's the lesson: in business, you can never stand still, or your competitors will run you over. BB stood still for YEARS, and their competitors ran them down and ran away with their customers. If you are looking for someone to blame for that, it isn't the media, or Apple, or Samsung, or Google, or Microsoft, or the "stupid sheep" customers (that you desperately want to come back to BB). The people to blame are Mike and Jim. They're the ones that ran the Titanic into the iceberg. The rest has just been theater since then: trying to get as many passengers (BBM, BES, QNX) off the boat (handset business) before it goes down.
    JeepBB likes this.
  14. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    However, in reality, John Chen is still not backing away from the consumer market even as you said they should be focusing on enterprise...so maybe on paper they should but they aren't doing it in reality...

    Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk
  15. Troy Tiscareno's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,534 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    However, in reality, John Chen is still not backing away from the consumer market even as you said they should be focusing on enterprise...so maybe on paper they should but they aren't doing it in reality...
    Then how do you explain:

    • BB's marketshare continuing to drop off a cliff, with no real response from BB.
    • No roadmap or pre-release info of any kind regarding future handsets (there was plenty of this well in advance of the current 4 devices).
    • No mention of BB10, presumably the flagship product, in any communication by John Chen so far.
    • The elimination of the CMO and COO positions
    • Jabil Circuit (BB's phone manufacturer) canceling BB's contract due to nothing being on the production schedule, and reallocating production to other vendors.
    • The "launch" of the Z30 in Malaysia, and a complete non-launch in the West.
    • Carriers abandoning BB10 especially and BB in general.
    • The total lack of BB advertising (this is CHRISTMAS, the #1 buying season for consumer electronics).
    • BB laying off most of the employees in the hardware and consumer marketing divisions, including contracted reps (MarketStar).
    • The repeated "focusing on the enterprise" message in all of Chen's communications to date.


    What is it that makes you believe, despite all of this, that BB intends to continue competing in the consumer market?
    JeepBB likes this.
  16. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Chen also said they are not confirmed to be abandoning the consumer market.

    Posted via CB10
  17. JeepBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,909 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    Chen also said they are not confirmed to be abandoning the consumer market.

    Posted via CB10



    Could you provide a link to Chen's statement where he said that please... I've only seen the one where he focuses on the Enterprise.



    JBB
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

  18. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Read the interview transcript of Chen's interview with Crackberry and you will see.

    Posted via CB10
  19. JeepBB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,909 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I did... And he didn't say any such thing.

    Chen says he will focus on enterprise and services. He hasn't confirmed remaining in the consumer market, he hasn't even mentioned bb10 by name!



    JBB
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

  20. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,766 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    He hasn't confirmed leaving yet too...

    Posted via CB10

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
  2. Blackberry needs to come up with a way to convert widgets to active frames
    By playbookster in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
  3. Lookin for the Thread for Converting Play Links to APK Files
    By fred1266 in forum Android Apps (Amazon Store & APK Files)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
  4. Can I Restore to a Z30 from a Z10 with a Newer OS?
    By epress man in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 05:38 PM
  5. How do I reset default app to open a pdf?
    By Tornado99 in forum BlackBerry 10 Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions