A little paraphrase of the the recent Engadget post (Editorial: Does Windows Phone even have a chance without Google?). The author also makes a parallel to BB10 towards the end of the article.

Here is the thing:
    I am really a BB fan. I bought my Bold 9700 a couple of years ago, and I really appreciate it. I look forward to BB10 and planning to spend money on it as soon as it comes. However... If I do not have Google maps, Youtube, etc... - this could significantly influence my decision... And based on the recent decisions of Google towards WP, it could just happen the same way to BB. I know RIM is going to have their own maps, but they come from the same source as the recent iOS maps - TomTom. This does not look very promising...

I do not really care, how many thousands (or not) of small aps are available on BB10 - they will come anyway, if the platform is really as good as it looks. But with the big players, such as Google, this is not going to work out, I am afraid. I strongly believe, we (the users) should put more pressure on RIM to make a proper deal with Google. It could be a make or break for BB10 in my opinion.

kszys.
    12-15-12 12:40 PM
    BlackBerry has youtube. I currently use Bing maps and BlackBerry maps. Other than that, 99.99% of the time i am going someplace I have been before. Google is flexing their muscle in the hopes that they have built "brand loyalty." We will see how loyal people are.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-15-12 12:48 PM
    I know BB has Google Maps, and Youtube, and a few other things as well.. I need them and use them as well. However, Google Maps for BBOS is not maintained for some time now (about a year?), and recently even not possible to download really...

Will BB10 also have them as well...? I have not seen any indication of this... and I am really paying attention....

kszys.
    12-15-12 12:53 PM
    I suspect most Blackberry users don't care for Google products as much as other platforms. For example, you frequently hear thinks like, "BB Traffic works fine for me, so I don't need Google maps." Also, since a good number of the other Google products don't even exist for Blackberry, their users won't notice what they're missing. Things like Translate, Currents, Chrome, and Voice are all things I use on a regular basis, but either don't exist, or are severely crippled in BB versions. Google Earth and Google+, Maps, and Latitude also either don't exist or they're nothing like the versions for Android and iOS. The new Gmail app for iOS works great, but it was EOLed over a year ago for BB.

Basically, Blackberry users won't miss Google products as much as users of other platforms, because they never really got a chance to get used to having them.
    12-15-12 12:54 PM
    OP, do you even know whether or not Google has made a decision on BB10 support? You may be worrying needlessly.

I can speculate too: maybe Google will support BB10 in an attempt to undermine iOS and WP.

At the end of the day, though, we won't have any clue until the BB10 release, so why stress over it now?
    12-15-12 12:58 PM

I can speculate too: maybe Google will support BB10 in an attempt to undermine iOS and WP.
    They already announced they're not creating WP apps aside from the one search app.

"We have no plans to build out Windows apps. We are very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8. If that changes, we would invest there, of course."

-Clay Bavor, product management director at Google Apps.
    12-15-12 01:01 PM
    Google doesn't support PlayBook yet there is a Youtube app and there are countless Google map apps on PlayBook that would work even better with cellular connectivity.

So what if Google don't support BB10. Truth is they may not but does it really matter? Youtube app is already there. We have seen it. Maps works flawlessly side loaded on dev alpha. What's left? Chrome? No thanks the BlackBerry10 Browser will be a beast. RIM and Tom Tom most likely put together a good maps application so although Google services will be accessible, I'm sure RIM will have alternative services on par or even better.

Google thinks they can catch more flies with sh!t rather than honey but they may find consumers buzzing off in the end.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-15-12 01:05 PM
    Even if there is no native app, I have personally ported and used google maps on my playbook, and it works fine. Dont worry, bro.
    12-15-12 01:07 PM
    I can manage without Google. I don't need maps much, because I don't drive to unfamiliar locations very much. Your situation might be different, but its really not going to influence my decision to buy a phone if its without Google. I actually avoid Google as much as possible.
    12-15-12 01:09 PM
    A little paraphrase of the the recent Engadget post (Editorial: Does Windows Phone even have a chance without Google?). The author also makes a parallel to BB10 towards the end of the article.

Here is the thing:
    I am really a BB fan. I bought my Bold 9700 a couple of years ago, and I really appreciate it. I look forward to BB10 and planning to spend money on it as soon as it comes. However... If I do not have Google maps, Youtube, etc... - this could significantly influence my decision... And based on the recent decisions of Google towards WP, it could just happen the same way to BB. I know RIM is going to have their own maps, but they come from the same source as the recent iOS maps - TomTom. This does not look very promising...

I do not really care, how many thousands (or not) of small aps are available on BB10 - they will come anyway, if the platform is really as good as it looks. But with the big players, such as Google, this is not going to work out, I am afraid. I strongly believe, we (the users) should put more pressure on RIM to make a proper deal with Google. It could be a make or break for BB10 in my opinion.

kszys.
    Apple messed up their own map software it has nothing to do with one of the best Maps on the market. there is a reason Tom Tom has been around since the beginning of GPS and a reason why their map data was chosen to be used by RIM and Apple
    CommanderElvis and sk8er_tor like this.
    12-15-12 01:14 PM
    They already announced they're not creating WP apps aside from the one search app.

"We have no plans to build out Windows apps. We are very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8. If that changes, we would invest there, of course."

-Clay Bavor, product management director at Google Apps.
    You missed my point.

We know they've explicitly said they won't support Windows Phone. We DONT know, though, that they won't support BB10. They might, using the logic that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    12-15-12 01:16 PM
    Just a [possibly stupid] remark, but as BB10 has what a lot of people consider the best internet browser in the mobile (and possibly of all) domain(s), then wouldn't that subjugate the need for a specific app?

Yes, I know people have been programmed to believe they need apps, but doesn't this advantage kind of bypass that?

Si.
    steven4u2nv and Jake Storm like this.
    12-15-12 01:17 PM
    Some people are so programmed to think they can't survive without Google.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-12 01:21 PM
    I don't see this being a huge disadvantage. Many of Google's services should be easily accessible through the excellent browser, and GMail will still work just fine with the native inbox, as well as Contacts and Calender sync. As for Maps, RIM's partnership with TomTom seems promising. BlackBerry Maps right now isn't all that bad (Though the Search function is utter ****), and BlackBerry Traffic is excellent. Partnering with TomTom on the new OS should mean a massive improvement that might just be able to replace Google Maps.
    12-15-12 01:31 PM
    Does tomtom not just provide the mapping data and not make the software?
    12-15-12 01:40 PM
    MSFT and Google compete on search, media, enterprise, mobile, web, desktop and you name it they compete on every level and hence some animosity . And about the prospects of BB10 time will only tell but I am very optimistic that it will go on to capture 10-15% of the mobile market in the next 2-3 years..then nothing can stop Google from creating apps for Blackberry. For now it doesn't matter because we know BB10 has Youtube, Gmail, Calendar and Contacts taken care off. BB will have it's own maps and may not matter to most people since it will be full blown GPS with turn by turn directions etc, to some who cannot live with Google maps they will be able to side load Google Maps unofficially atleast. I can guarantee there will at-least 100 Google voice type apps in the blackberry world by the time of launch.
    12-15-12 01:43 PM
    Does tomtom not just provide the mapping data and not make the software?
    I've no idea about the specifics of their agreement with RIM, but TomTom definitely makes mapping software for Android, some cars, and obviously their own GPS units.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 12-15-12 at 02:09 PM.
    12-15-12 01:44 PM
    Personally, I don't trust Google. There are numerous examples in the media of Google selling users information. You really don't think that their services are free do you? They know where you shop, they know what products you check out online.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-15-12 02:08 PM
    I avoid Google whenever possible.
    12-15-12 02:15 PM
    Don't use Google much to begin with,the maps might be a nice feature but I have GPS if needed. If its on BB10 its a plus if not I can live without.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-12 02:28 PM
    I avoid Google whenever possible.
    Likewise! This is no big loss to me. With google having the ability to obtain anything they want as far as Android users are concerned, to me this is a blessing. It's someone else's problem now, and if it comes down to zero support, at least we won't have to deal with it, or having anyone access our personal information. Can you say BB security? I know I can! BB Forever
    alan510, SEAWARRIOR and Jake Storm like this.
    12-15-12 02:30 PM
    Is anybody else starting to think the big players are slowly building big walls around their gardens?
    harshalbid271 likes this.
    12-15-12 02:43 PM
    Is anybody else starting to think the big players are slowly building big walls around their gardens?
    Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing too. Hopefully BlackBerry will gain enough marketshare with BB10 that Google, Microsoft, ect, will want to get in on the BlackBerry part of the pie.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-12 03:00 PM
    OP, do you even know whether or not Google has made a decision on BB10 support? You may be worrying needlessly.

At the end of the day, though, we won't have any clue until the BB10 release, so why stress over it now?
    I think it would be a safe bet to say they wont. If you look at Google's actions against RIM in the past 2 years they have not been very friendly, & this lastest "winter cleaning" where Google went after EVERYONE not using Android shows their current egotistical Apple-esk mindset right now.

Google, what ever happened to "don't be evil"??
    12-15-12 03:10 PM

Here is the thing:

kszys.
    BlackBerry doesn't rely on full app use. If there is no you tube app I will just use the superior browser. Move along, nothing to see here.
    el_excelsior likes this.
    12-15-12 04:11 PM
68 123