This is just a wild guess, but after the tweet that said bbm for iOS was submitted 2 weeks ago, I was wondering if Apple wants to steal BlackBerrys thunder. Let me explain.

With iOS 7 and iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c expected to launch on 10th September, could Apple announce the availability of BBM in the same event? Could they be waiting to launch iOS 7 and then approve bbm? Or could Apple just co-announce it along with someone from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 07:10 AM
    where exactly is BlackBerry's thunder to begin with?
    09-07-13 07:12 AM
    No. Apple just wants to steal everyone's money.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 07:13 AM
    where exactly is BlackBerry's thunder to begin with?
    Yaayy! The party starter is herreeee!!!

Just to avoid any further confusion, for your sake forget the thunder part and lets just talk bout the real topic of the thread.

Posted via CB10
    RedRangerReid likes this.
    09-07-13 07:19 AM
    Apple really doesn't like to help the completion that's why they won't allow an android central app on ios because they said that "it doesn't add to the user experience" more then likely their just going to string BlackBerry along before they cave in and approve the app. So BlackBerry has two choices either just wait quietly for Apple to approve the app and delay the launch of the Android app or just say sc**w it and lauch the Android app and put out a statement that the ios app will launch as soon as Apple completes its review and approval of the app.

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    09-07-13 07:19 AM
    I wouldn't stress to much about it. If Google approves it, won't take long for Apple to after that. They won't allow the competition to have something that they don't.

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    09-07-13 07:31 AM
    Well I think Apple loyalists wouldn't really bother about Apple stealing BBM's thunder or not, because for them the more important issue would be "what kind of hardware and OS upgrade do I get if I buy iPhone 5S/5C, like any other Apple enthusiast.

Only those like us who want BlackBerry to shine would be really bothered about that. But I'll say its fine. As long as Apple approves BBM, and hopefully the updates are fast and furious enough, and the entire BBM package is appealing enough for users to use and be glued to BBM.
    09-07-13 07:42 AM
    I don't think Apple is trying to steal anything from BlackBerry. Think about it for just a second, if Apple really wanted to poke BlackBerry in the eye they'd release BBM with all the fanfare they could muster as cross platform BBM will benefit Apple more than it will BlackBerry.

A person with a iDevice will now have the ability to use one of BlackBerry's best native apps without actually having to buy a BlackBerry. To this day I do not understand the wisdom of BBRY going this route. It does not help them nor does it help with sales.
    JeepBB, JasW, AlexXF and 4 others like this.
    09-07-13 07:48 AM
    I'd take the most sensible explanation...

BBRY simply hasn't made BBM public yet. They've submitted the BBM app to Apple so it's ready to go once they pull the trigger on making BBM cross platform available to the public.

No sense in seeing the devil where he doesn't exist.
    h20work, TGR1, mikeo007 and 4 others like this.
    09-07-13 07:54 AM
    I don't think Apple is trying to steal anything from BlackBerry. Think about it for just a second, if Apple really wanted to poke BlackBerry in the eye they'd release BBM with all the fanfare they could muster as cross platform BBM will benefit Apple more than it will BlackBerry.

A person with a iDevice will now have the ability to use one of BlackBerry's best native apps without actually having to buy a BlackBerry. To this day I do not understand the wisdom of BBRY going this route. It does not help them nor does it help with sales.
    By this thinking why are Google apps available on iOS?....and by association why has android market share been growing?

There is far more to this dynamic, including monotization to allow resource reallocation.

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    asherwiin likes this.
    09-07-13 07:55 AM

No sense in seeing the devil where he doesn't exist.
    LOL. This is CB. Seeing imaginary devils is what we do...
    09-07-13 07:57 AM
    By this thinking why are Google apps available on iOS?.
    I think my contention above applies here. Apple by allowing Google apps (and vice versa) removes one of the incentives people have to move to the competition. "I have an iPhone and I can still get Google apps. Cool, no need to switch to a Android device" That type of thing.

...and by association why has android market share been growing?
    Apps is part of the equation but producing great devices, offering variety and marketing are probably more meaningful to that equation. My opinion, stilted as it may be

There is far more to this dynamic, including monotization to allow resource reallocation.
    ...except, at this point BBM has not been monotized as far as anyone can tell so it is not even generating revenue.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-07-13 08:05 AM
    BlackBerry has no thunder, just dark clouds hovering over it..
    09-07-13 08:17 AM
    There are so many messaging apps available with a lot more users than BBM. Don't think they care too much on the contrary this will mean more users for them.

I might be wrong but I think the normal approval time at the iTunes store is around 10-14 days. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce BBM at their event in a couple of days while introducing the new cheap iPhone which might or might not be for emerging markets. Samsung created a commercial just to make people aware BBM is coming. Have you seen any commercials introducing Whatsapp, Line etc... ? Since Samsung is Apple's biggest competitor what better opportunity is there to steal Samsung's thunder? A lot of people will be blogging about the new iPhone release and thousands will watch the keynote event. Cheap, free advertising for Apple.

Posted via CB10
    Please!!
    I'm not an Apple fan but I'm almost certain Blackberry, Google, Samsung etc. would all be glad to take all your money if they had a chance.
    BTW: here is the definition of steal.
    steal
    take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
    tack likes this.
    09-07-13 08:40 AM

The answer actually is pretty simple:
    Because BBM was slowly but surely losing its worth for BBM customers.

In "developped" nations this already is the case. How many stories of people have you heard, that had 99+ contacts once and are down to 1-3 today (well, I hope enough. But the same applies to stories from users that had less in the beginning)?

Apart from BlackBerry missing consumer trends like usable touchscreen devices (the Storm doesn't count) or media rich apps, they completely ignored the cross-platform messenger market.
    If smartphones are a growing market, of course cross-platform messaging would become one as well.

We now factor in emerging markets into the equation:
    I can buy a 99$ Android (or something cheaper) and use KakaoTalk, Line or whatever messenger has become popular in my country of origin.
    With legacy BlackBerries being rather expensive devices and their inability to compete with 99$ Android phones combined with an incredibly quick erosion of marketshare in emerging markets, left BlackBerry exactly with 2 choices:

) Either they open up BBM now, (even though the move would have made far more sense when it became clear that WhatsApp and other apps will soon run circles around the BBM userbase) and at least have a fighting chance in a market, that doesn't need BBM anymore.

) Or they keep it closed while looking at declining usage numbers.

As it should be clear by now, the only viable option was number 1 (even though it was executed extremely late) because the second one, would just have rendered BBM useless after a certain while.
    Nobody needs a closed messenger system, for devices that have 3% marketshare worldwide.
    It would have been a waste to keep it locked down.

So the decision actually is pretty simple and logical (even though massively too late).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-08-13 at 05:02 PM.
    09-07-13 08:59 AM
    I'm not too sure if Apple really cares as it is just another messaging platform. Statistically, BBM hasn't got the most numbers in user base, WhatsApp leads that and even Kik supposedly has overtaken BBM. Now, if Apple can acknowledge the potential BBM has over the two mentioned apps including their own, iMessage, they will try and low ball BlackBerry, but then it's up to BlackBerry to just carry on with the plan by releasing the Android app until Apple decides it's had enough fun (or squeals)

Personally, I think they'll let it through, with the cheaper iPhone releasing in a few weeks and little to no concern of declining iPhone sales (I mean, have they really declined that Apple should be worried?), iPhone users are still inclined to use iMessage. The companies that should feel threatened are WhatsApp and Kik. BBM going cross platform is one of the very few things going for BlackBerry right now, so I don't see why Apple would see it as a threat of any kind, it's not exactly 2008 now, is it.
    Bsbudd and damien kupuku like this.
    09-07-13 09:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    And then have the nerve to hide there profits offshore to avoid taxes.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:04 AM
    You think they care? Get real.

Posted via CB10
    AlexXF and richardat like this.
    09-07-13 09:24 AM
    I think BlackBerry made it public knowledge that it has been 2 weeks so that, apple might consider not looking too biased or threatened if they refuse to approve it.

Does anyone know how long it usually take to get an app approved?

But then I can imagine apple shooting back and saying that at least they take pains to curate their app store unlike ...

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:29 AM
    I don't think Apple is delaying it by any purpose. Are there any iOS developers around who can talk about average approval times by the App Store team? Besides it might be possible it is already approved, yet BBRY has requested a release date to Apple which they didn't announce yet.

As for Apple, there is no reason to block BBM on their devices. Why should they? No iPhone user will try it, suddenly gets mind blown by BBM and replacing their iDevice next day by getting a new BlackBerry. Nobody will abandon any Apple software in favour of BBM. There is zero risk for Apple here. Besides, according to quite some armchair CEOs here, Apple should rather hurry up getting it in the App Store ASAP: Since you now can finally have BBM on any device, people would rather jump the damaged BBRY ship and board the shiny Apple cruiseship, since BBM was a prime reason why one would use a 'Berry anyways.

Last but not least I think x-plattform BBM doesn't even matter anymore. One year ago, it could've been a true hit. But today? The main competition with Whatsapp is too powerful. At least none of the people I know would even bother installing BBM. They said WA does everything they want and need, it works and they aren't techy anyways - so why bother with another communication plattform they'll need to learn, set up and need to spread when they already get something the majority uses ? It's like telling all folks about the superiour Facebook alternatives out there and they should just abandon Facebook and switch - most people just won't do that.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    helio9965, Bsbudd and tack like this.
    09-07-13 09:33 AM
    I think my contention above applies here. Apple by allowing Google apps (and vice versa) removes one of the incentives people have to move to the competition. "I have an iPhone and I can still get Google apps. Cool, no need to switch to a Android device" That type of thing.

Apps is part of the equation but producing great devices, offering variety and marketing are probably more meaningful to that equation. My opinion, stilted as it may be

...except, at this point BBM has not been monotized as far as anyone can tell so it is not even generating revenue.
    Patience grasshopper .....

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-07-13 09:43 AM
    BlackBerry has no thunder, just dark clouds hovering over it..
    Those aren't clouds. They're vultures

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 10:02 AM
    BBM has huge potential to be the default mobile social network. I have no doubt it will shoot to the top of the charts, indonesia alone will have over 10 million downloads in the first week. Apple is scared of the bbm trojan horse, a gift left by a blackberry army that seemed already defeated hahaha, "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"
    bennelong likes this.
    09-07-13 10:03 AM
    I don't think Apple is delaying it by any purpose. Are there any iOS developers around who can talk about average approval times by the App Store team? Besides it might be possible it is already approved, yet BBRY has requested a release date to Apple which they didn't announce yet.

As for Apple, there is no reason to block BBM on their devices. Why should they? No iPhone user will try it, suddenly gets mind blown by BBM and replacing their iDevice next day by getting a new BlackBerry. Nobody will abandon any Apple software in favour of BBM. There is zero risk for Apple here. Besides, according to quite some armchair CEOs here, Apple should rather hurry up getting it in the App Store ASAP: Since you now can finally have BBM on any device, people would rather jump the damaged BBRY ship and board the shiny Apple cruiseship, since BBM was a prime reason why one would use a 'Berry anyways.

Last but not least I think x-plattform BBM doesn't even matter anymore. One year ago, it could've been a true hit. But today? The main competition with Whatsapp is too powerful. At least none of the people I know would even bother installing BBM. They said WA does everything they want and need, it works and they aren't techy anyways - so why bother with another communication plattform they'll need to learn, set up and need to spread when they already get something the majority uses ? It's like telling all folks about the superiour Facebook alternatives out there and they should just abandon Facebook and switch - most people just won't do that.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    true, when Google+ first came out one of my friends convinced me to use it instead of FB but i didn't bother, now G+ is a ghostown and he's back to using FB

i'm not sure if i'm underestimating BBM or the fans here overestimating it
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-07-13 10:20 AM
    People want to see the next big thing.. let's look at Samsung notes,and Google glasses.. people will try them.. Apple keeps renaming phones with new software and advertisements.. Apple is in business because of marketing and design concepts..
    09-07-13 10:28 AM
154 123 ...