So when someone buys their first idevice, like I did, how did I know how to use it since there was no prior idevice? Because really, there is a world of difference between an iPod and an iPhone 3GS....last I checked I couldn't send emails on my iPod....Is this one of those before there was nothing there was something kind of arguments that I just can't visualise?

And I don't own a PB....it was not for me. It was a device crippled from day one. It went back to the store one day after I realised it was completely unfinished.
    Are you saying that it is easier to press on the glass where an icon says 'Mail' (or equivalent) on one device easier than another? As far as I know, the Z10 is the first device to deviate from that method. Remember that the UI of current iOS devices is basically limited to an application launcher. You will find the multiple pages of icons I in a grid formation to be on pretty much every OS.

No learning curve for pushing an icon. BlackBerry phones had them years before Apple, Palm before that. You either highlighted them and pressed a hardware key or used a stylus.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    02-23-13 12:09 PM
    The article itself is them reporting on a report from another website. And clearly they have no clue what porting means. Well, I'm sure they do, they just prefer to mislead and lie. BUT, seriously, check out the 'related stories'? Can they be any more blatant?

Attachment 137180
    So, going by the screen capture, what's the issue?
    02-23-13 12:48 PM
    If one would say about learning curves on a smartphone, I think you are wrong.
    If someone who has never owned or seen someone close to them using a smartphone, I would say android phones are the easiest.
    There's nothing easier than a relatively shown u-turn key to go back to previous page. Especially for those whom has been using old Sony ericssons or old mobile phones. It's just plain logical to see the button and know that this is to go back to previous page (back). I think anyone who has never used a smartphone given an android will be very easy to learn and get accustomed to the functions.
    Androids are the easiest learning curve for new comers in the smartphone business..
    U think Android has a lower learning curve than IOS? Really lol? I guess everyone has their opinion but in my opinion, IOS is mainly a app launcher. It doesn't get more simple than that lol. When u get into customizing a android device, that definitely ups the learning curve of a device. Nothing wrong with that though. A learning curve isn't necessarily a bad thing

I think we can agree though that a Z10 definitely carries a higher learning curve
    02-23-13 01:57 PM
    Fascinating thread.

Ease of use is highly tied to "user affordance" - which basically means that it complies with what you intuitively expect to be the case. People can not fundamentally change the way that a car works (pedals, speedometer, left and right turn signal, etc). Because, if you did, we would have accidents all over the place.

Apple said in one of their lawsuits against Samsung (I think) that they are extremely concerned with protecting their IP, and propogating the Apple iphone experience - they believe that how users are "trained" to use a phone is critical because it becomes sticky and the preferred way that a person uses a device. This is certainly true.

If Apple people were honest with themselves, they would have to realize that Apple has jury rigged tons of stuff into the Iphone/IOS platform to enable new capabilities that were not contemplated originally. Some of the posters in this thread have pointed some out.

Android continues to add new strange stuff that people need to learn as well. The swipe up to get Google Cards has been f'ing me up on my Nexus 7 because I expect the BB swipe up action.

The idea that BB, Apple, or Android is harder to learn than one thing or other is a useless conversation. All of these can be quickly learned if you have half a brain and willing open mindset.

I have had the Z10 for about 2 weeks now. Is it perfect? No. Little things here and there need to be fixed. Is it worse than Android or Apple. No. My Ipad3 has had to be rebooted. My Android DINC 4GLTE has as well. Have i rebooted my Z10 - yes. Once so far.

Blackberry will do great. Trying to convince someone it is better will simply drive you crazy. The media thrives on eyeballs. The more bs they put on something to drive people to react - the more they get paid by people visiting their pages. The Verge is the most ridiculous.

Enjoy your BB's folks. Blackberry will march slowly towards victory. The war will not be won in a day, month, or year.
    FR33MAN, RECOOL, R Field and 1 others like this.
    02-23-13 02:10 PM
    Illuminati>Apple>Cnet

It's all coming together now...
    02-23-13 02:27 PM
    U think Android has a lower learning curve than IOS? Really lol? I guess everyone has their opinion but in my opinion, IOS is mainly a app launcher. It doesn't get more simple than that lol. When u get into customizing a android device, that definitely ups the learning curve of a device. Nothing wrong with that though. A learning curve isn't necessarily a bad thing

I think we can agree though that a Z10 definitely carries a higher learning curve

yup... agreed.
    among all the latest smartphones in the market, if u give a Z10 to somebody who has never seen a smartphones before, i can guarantee the Z10 will see the dustbin before anyone can say 'sapa le bengong sangat buat talipon macam ni'.

Z10 definitely has a higher learning curve to use..

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Rello likes this.
    02-23-13 04:37 PM
    People freaking out over the related stories is kind of hilarious. I don't work for their website, so I can't say for sure, but on the sites I own and the sites I have worked for. The "related stories" are populated automatically based on tags used when the stories were first written.

All of those stories share a common theme and they each share some of the same tags. In other words, its not a conspiracy. Its not the media beating up on poor wittle BBRY and it isn't Apple owning tech blogs. Its just a web site plugin folks.
    02-23-13 06:44 PM
    I'm confused. Besides the Slacker App article, which I am guessing the full article might mention BlackBerry, the other Related Articles are, in fact, about Blackberry or related to them in some way in the tech world, going by the titles of them.

So, what's the problem?
    02-23-13 06:54 PM
    Well the iphone has the "lowest" learning curve because it is based off tec that is going on 6 years old. And when was the last truley innovative Apple idea? making it bigger or thinner is not innovation. And when apple tries to do their own thing, it's a distaster, i.e. apple's new map program. It was unusable for how long? And honestly if Netflix and instagram are deal breakers for you, the an BB is not the device for you. The truth hurts, but BB is at heart a communations device. And for the communations, it's all there and the has always been the best in town. And if you say that I am not a "typical" smartphone user because I don't want a toy, well then so be it. I use my smartphone to get things done, not play games or look cool.
    And QNX is how old ? It was developed in the early 80s, so that would put it over 30. Of course, like iOS, it has evolved. What is your definition of innovative ? Is innovation only done in hardware, or can it be done in software too ? Apples new maps failure was over blown. Way overblown. It affected less than 1% of its users. Of course, if you're part of that small percentage....

When it comes to a phone, I need security, and ease of use, compability for my job, a map that works, and a simple browser. I don't need new and exciting. <snip>
    You nailed it right there. That's also why people buy the iPhone, but the difference is, after all is said and done they have a device that they're familiar with and at the end of the day install apps on. Hundreds of thousands. Whether you or I find them useful or not.
    02-23-13 06:55 PM
    On 'ease of use'; that's a relative term.
    My mum is in her 50's and has never owned a smartphone, she tried to use my Galaxy Nexus but found its UI to be less than intuitive, same with my Nexus 7 tablet.
    However, I bought an LTE PB last year and within 30 minutes my mum was navigating like a pro.
    Last weekend I spent time at my parents, mum saw my Z10 and her eyes lit up.
    Yes, she said the OS isn't identical to the PB but she saw the similarities. Within 30 mins she'd figured out all the gestures.
    The only thing mum didn't like was how you close apps, she prefers to fling them as on the PB.
    Now she wants a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    web99 and leejayh like this.
    02-23-13 07:01 PM
    You're clueless mate, I got one the second day it was out here.

If you do actually own a Z10, which I doubt, why don't you go through that list I put out above of it's deficiencies vs every other platform available at the moment, instead of trying to look smart and failing hard at it.

Ignoring problems doesn't get anyone anywhere.
    no clue what you mean 'trying to look smart'

I have one, bought it from joey beechey (BlackBerry Z10 Orders) a crackberry user from canada who set up a web site to help us poor americans who couldn't wait til april.

it's not perfect, but it is amazing. i still have to use my S3 because i have verizon as my phone carrier, but i find myself looking to swipe to navigate. instead i have to look down at the device for arrows and home keys etc. Android is clumsy after one week of playing with BB10.

btw, it JUST CAME OUT, a BRAND NEW OS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP! you people are ridiculous. give it a minute to mature! even thought it just came out, BB10 UI is already BETTER THAN android and iPhone

BB10 will get the apps, it will fine tune your complaints, but the others will still be app players with security and communications as sloppy patch code added as an afterthought. they (android and iOS) know they are behind ....even if you don't.
    02-23-13 07:44 PM
    Agree with this. I agree - the "get out of jail" button on IOS might be "easier" to the un-initiated to smartphones - but it quickly ends there. Try doing a few more complicated actions on IOS and it falls apart. People have just come to learn how to do some of this stuff. And, ironically, Apple had better not try to change it now...

Android with its constantly changing nature requires continual brain re-training. Not only is the OS changing every revision (swipe from top on the left, swipe from top on the right, swipe up from bottom for Card) each app has it's own Affordance (has anyone seen the latest Evernote? - compare that to Dolphin Browser - what happens with each when you swipe from left or right) - and App Developers are making stuff up as they go along. Nothing acts with any structure.

The one thing that I loved about the older BB's was the Menu key. You knew what to expect when you hit that. Obviously that has been reimagined in the left bottom three bar swipe thing in BB10. But, you also get the extended menu on the right. As the BB10 App design continues to mature (it has just been born), App developers will know what a Native BB10 apps is like. And we will all come to want them, because they will make logical sense.

Apple, Windows, and BB will all have specific App design UX. The question will be, what UX will people like better? What makes more intuitive sense? Android is not going to win here unless they start to institute guidelines.

BB10 is not hard at all. My 11 year old learned my Z10 in 5 minutes.
    02-23-13 11:27 PM
    I'm going to be a bit blunt here. If you can't figure out how to use a smartphone, how do you not choke on your own tounge? It's a phone, not a nuclear reactor. If you whine about having to learn to move your finger halfway up and turn left, you need to be in a padded room so you can't hurt yourself.
    02-24-13 02:37 AM
    no clue what you mean 'trying to look smart'

I have one, bought it from joey beechey (BlackBerry Z10 Orders) a crackberry user from canada who set up a web site to help us poor americans who couldn't wait til april.

it's not perfect, but it is amazing. i still have to use my S3 because i have verizon as my phone carrier, but i find myself looking to swipe to navigate. instead i have to look down at the device for arrows and home keys etc. Android is clumsy after one week of playing with BB10.

btw, it JUST CAME OUT, a BRAND NEW OS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP! you people are ridiculous. give it a minute to mature! even thought it just came out, BB10 UI is already BETTER THAN android and iPhone

BB10 will get the apps, it will fine tune your complaints, but the others will still be app players with security and communications as sloppy patch code added as an afterthought. they (android and iOS) know they are behind ....even if you don't.
    The UI is fantastic, its very intuitive, and it's fun to use.
    But without apps and functionality that's all pointless.
    Your idea that it's already better than Android and iOS is laughable. For who? People who don't use their phone for anything?
    It's the PlayBook all over again so far.

Nobody knows they're behind anything, go have a look at the HTC One and tell me what it's behind.
    This device has potential but that's it, as it is, it's already fallen behind the next gen of phones.
    02-24-13 05:00 AM
    Your idea that it's already better than Android and iOS is laughable. For who? People who don't use their phone for anything?

Nobody knows they're behind anything, go have a look at the HTC One and tell me what it's behind.
    This device has potential but that's it, as it is, it's already fallen behind the next gen of phones.
    HTC One is just another droid. When was the last time you said "Boy, I could use more cores in my phone"? It's the same thing over and over in different sizes and specs. You are caught in the phone specs "pissing contest" that I was caught in. You think 'specs' are what is paramount in phones. You will never catch up, because next month, a better spec phone will come out.

So...do specs make it a better phone? For you it does apparently.

For a PHONE and an UI/OS, Blackberry is not behind by any stretch. If you are talking about the OS, iOS and Android are behind. Z10 has the best UI. The best keyboard, bar none. The fastest browser, bar none. Google it. The most efficient communication center, bar none. Nothing compares...closing apps, opening other apps, reopening the original app...just to respond to a text or message? Archaic, time wasting, and never again for BB users. The best separation of work/personal. It's not even close. NO ONE has anything like 'Balance' - nothing like it.

All Android and iOS do is play apps. They offer no security, no 'Balance', no 'Hub', etc. I specifically bought my S3 to circumvent my IT departments security requirements. It's a joke. Security is a afterthought. Their app market is full of hack code. They concentrated on playing apps, and they do it well. But, now for security and communication and separation of work/personal, which BB is far ahead...they have to patch sloppy code onto an OS built as an app player.

For specs and millions of apps, you can go get your HTC One. For the best phone, as a communication device that will make your day easier, better, more secure, Z10 is the best phone available.

Tag this post. iOS and Android will copy...the keyboard, Balance, the Hub, and the browser and more. They have to. If they have to copy, then who is ahead?
    Last edited by winter_hat; 02-24-13 at 10:07 PM.
    02-24-13 09:55 PM

I still have my S3, because my contract is with Verizon. My Z10 I got from Canada to play with until Verizon gets the Q10 (now I am rethinking the Q10 because this virtual keyboard is so amazing.) But, when I have to use the S3, I find myself phantom swiping. I am already spoiled and I can't believe I have to go through so many steps to get things done. It truly is ground-breakingly simple. When using the Z10 I am now loving my 'phone life' and it's not because of apps. Well, one giant, never duplicated app...BB10 UI/OS.
    02-24-13 10:21 PM
    HTC One is just another droid. When was the last time you said "Boy, I could use more cores in my phone"? It's the same thing over and over in different sizes and specs. You are caught in the phone specs "pissing contest" that I was caught in. You think 'specs' are what is paramount in phones. You will never catch up, because next month, a better spec phone will come out.

So...do specs make it a better phone? For you it does apparently.

For a PHONE and an UI/OS, Blackberry is not behind by any stretch. If you are talking about the OS, iOS and Android are behind. Z10 has the best UI. The best keyboard, bar none. The fastest browser, bar none. Google it. The most efficient communication center, bar none. Nothing compares...closing apps, opening other apps, reopening the original app...just to respond to a text or message? Archaic, time wasting, and never again for BB users. The best separation of work/personal. It's not even close. NO ONE has anything like 'Balance' - nothing like it.

All Android and iOS do is play apps. They offer no security, no 'Balance', no 'Hub', etc. I specifically bought my S3 to circumvent my IT departments security requirements. It's a joke. Security is a afterthought. Their app market is full of hack code. They concentrated on playing apps, and they do it well. But, now for security and communication and separation of work/personal, which BB is far ahead...they have to patch sloppy code onto an OS built as an app player.

For specs and millions of apps, you can go get your HTC One. For the best phone, as a communication device that will make your day easier, better, more secure, Z10 is the best phone available.

Tag this post. iOS and Android will copy...the keyboard, Balance, the Hub, and the browser and more. They have to. If they have to copy, then who is ahead?
    You forgot a key point, QNX are no owned by BB - think of the installed user base. And the potential.

BB10 isn't a 'smartphone' OS, it's a mobile computing OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 12:06 AM
    I've yet to see a genuinely unbiased review for any new tech.
    When it comes to BB10, the Z10 and Q10, I tend to read everything and make up my own mind.

Posted via CB10
    You don't go crazy about bias and threaten to wreck writers that don't praise tech you love?
    02-25-13 12:13 AM

BB10 isn't a 'smartphone' OS, it's a mobile computing OS.
    Please explain what the difference is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-25-13 12:17 AM
    I've yet to see a genuinely unbiased review for any new tech.
    When it comes to BB10, the Z10 and Q10, I tend to read everything and make up my own mind.

Posted via CB10
    Lisa from MobileTechReview seems pretty unbiased.
    02-25-13 12:48 AM
    Please explain what the difference is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry 10, in theory, can be implemented in any electronics hardware device platforms.

From smartphone to PC hybrid or from car head unit to AR Glass.

What QNX can do. Possibly BlackBerry 10 can do also.

Micro Kernel architecture gives QNX and BlackBerry 10 the ability to run event in a primordial computer system hardware.

So that's why NASA still uses QNX at spaceship.

Again. CMIIW
    03-01-13 01:25 PM
    This thread went on a lot longer than I thought it would!

Some good points being made, I just wanted to chime in and say CNET to me personally has never been a credible source of anything. Articles, reviews, OR for downloading trial versions of software while they sneak in their own bloatware (maybe they don't do this anymore?).

ALSO, I personally blame Apple for turning North Americans into s**tty human beings. I wish I could elaborate. I sincerely wish I could. Something just gets under my skin when some pretentious Apple-user shoves their lame device in my face with their "me AND this are amazing" attitude, dragging their finger around it as if I'm supposed to be fascinated. None of these devices differ, except for the applications each platform has available. I just can't get over the balls-in-mouth and twinkletoe feeling that so many of these Apple users have about their device as if it's the only thing of its type in existence. Does that make sense to anyone who even read this?! There's an attitude and mentality when it comes to different users on different platforms. I want to violently throat myself with my fingers so I can projectile vomit on their mediocre gadgets. It's becoming increasingly bad if none of you have been able to notice..?

xo
    03-01-13 01:51 PM
    This thread went on a lot longer than I thought it would!

Some good points being made, I just wanted to chime in and say CNET to me personally has never been a credible source of anything. Articles, reviews, OR for downloading trial versions of software while they sneak in their own bloatware (maybe they don't do this anymore?).

ALSO, I personally blame Apple for turning North Americans into s**tty human beings. I wish I could elaborate. I sincerely wish I could. Something just gets under my skin when some pretentious Apple-user shoves their lame device in my face with their "me AND this are amazing" attitude, dragging their finger around it as if I'm supposed to be fascinated. None of these devices differ, except for the applications each platform has available. I just can't get over the balls-in-mouth and twinkletoe feeling that so many of these Apple users have about their device as if it's the only thing of its type in existence. Does that make sense to anyone who even read this?! There's an attitude and mentality when it comes to different users on different platforms. I want to violently throat myself with my fingers so I can projectile vomit on their mediocre gadgets. It's becoming increasingly bad if none of you have been able to notice..?

xo
    First bolded statement gives a hint of what's to come.

Second bolded statement goes completely against your point. I personally think BB10 is trying to differentiate with a different user experience.
    If you say the only difference between devices available is the apps available, then surely the best device would be the one with the most apps?
    Third bolded statement makes me think checking your browser history would scar me for life!
    03-01-13 02:17 PM
    Well the iphone has the "lowest" learning curve because it is based off tec that is going on 6 years old. And when was the last truley innovative Apple idea? making it bigger or thinner is not innovation. And when apple tries to do their own thing, it's a distaster, i.e. apple's new map program. It was unusable for how long? And honestly if Netflix and instagram are deal breakers for you, the an BB is not the device for you. The truth hurts, but BB is at heart a communations device. And for the communations, it's all there and the has always been the best in town. And if you say that I am not a "typical" smartphone user because I don't want a toy, well then so be it. I use my smartphone to get things done, not play games or look cool.
    Based off 6 year old tech has nothing to do with it. It's just simple and intuitive. BB is a communications device, statements like "iPhone is a toy" are really childish. Is it a sin for a device to do communications AND entertainment? Did you see today's articles that iTunes U (an educational platform) surpassed 1 billion? That doesn't make it a toy.
    I have owned 4 BB's and 2 iPhones and there is almost nothing that BB OS7 can do that the iPhone couldn't. It's not to your taste, fine. For millions of other people in all walks of life, their iPhone "gets things done" for them also.
    03-02-13 01:43 AM
    I'm not sure why people still read CNET. They admitted, publicly, that they rig the news and lie about it.

When Dish Hopper won "Best of CES" by journalists' votes, CBS (their parent) found out about it. Turns out that CBS is suing Dish claiming that they shouldn't be able to release a product that allows users to skip ads. So they instructed CNET staff to "revote" and exclude the Hopper, and lied about that instruction to the rest of the media until several journalists resigned and CBS was forced to admit that it lied.

The Consumer Electronics Association was so angry about CBS's lie and "revote" that they kicked CNET out of their role as the official media partner and banned them from free access to future CES shows.

That means that anything published there is now suspect and not credible. I wouldn't care any more about what CNET says than what the National Enquirer says.
    03-03-13 04:59 AM
78 1234