I really don't get why some are referring to the Z10 as a "beta device". Is it a new "catch phrase" for the competition? I have had mine for 2 weeks and for me it is a big improvement over my 9800 Torch. Faster browser, much greater multitasking ability, none of the freezes like my previous phone, much better camera, bigger screen, improved screen resolution, excellent email and typing device for me. I could go on and on. For me it is a very productive device and I don't get why the previous poster said that it does not do anything particularly well. That is such a sweeping statement that as a Z10 owner, I strongly disagree with.

The other thing is that it has sold very well in the markets that it has been released. That would not be happening if the Z10 was an inferior product, as implied on some of the tech blogs. And what basis is the previous poster using for his conclusion that if the Z10 was released in the States, it would sink like a rock? I know many people in the States that are anxious for it to be released. It would not be selling on ebay for $1000 if it was as bad as some of you imply.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Last edited by web99; 02-22-13 at 03:50 AM.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    02-22-13 03:40 AM
    fail. do you see the 'related stories'? and would you tell me how they are related? ridiculous fail.
    If you're an adult....you don't use "fail". Grow up, that crap has been played out along time ago.

And yes, CNET loves to wack off to Apple products at lunch break.
    Savior4Life likes this.
    02-22-13 06:37 AM
    I really don't get why some are referring to the Z10 as a "beta device". Is it a new "catch phrase" for the competition? I have had mine for 2 weeks and for me it is a big improvement over my 9800 Torch. Faster browser, much greater multitasking ability, none of the freezes like my previous phone, much better camera, bigger screen, improved screen resolution, excellent email and typing device for me. I could go on and on. For me it is a very productive device and I don't get why the previous poster said that it does not do anything particularly well. That is such a sweeping statement that as a Z10 owner, I strongly disagree with.

The other thing is that it has sold very well in the markets that it has been released. That would not be happening if the Z10 was an inferior product, as implied on some of the tech blogs. And what basis is the previous poster using for his conclusion that if the Z10 was released in the States, it would sink like a rock? I know many people in the States that are anxious for it to be released. It would not be selling on ebay for $1000 if it was as bad as some of you imply.

Because it is a beta device. Most of the high ups at RIM have admitted as much by saying everything everyone wants and expected will be there for the US launch. What does that make the current product?
    It has sold well because people trust BlackBerry. Then they find that the things they expect from a BlackBerry are not yet on this device, and its anyone's guess whether it will actually ever come.

The screen is ok, the camera is actually fun and functional. It needs an HDR app, but that will come in due course, I would have thought. But its not there now.
    Course sharing pics is out of the q, no Google +, the Dropbox integration is awful as pics don't automatically back up, sharing anything from this phone and backing up pics and vids is a pain in the ****.

There was zero clarity, from CrackBerry or RIM, re data compression. Even carriers were confused. But it's gone, so that's another reason BB was loved, gone. Not even an option.

The email experience is bar none the worst experience I have ever had on any smartphone ever.
    30 days sync only, no delete on device only, no individual alerts for different accounts. You can't even easily see who has sent you an email and copy their email address. You can't copy an email address cced in an email and write to that one only.
    My email syncs instantly, 95% of the time. The other 5%, inexplicably, my emails are delayed in excess of 30 mins, then they flood in.
    This is not a reliable push email device.

Notifications and customisation is awful compared to legacy, even Android.
    The calendar app randomly crashes.
    The contacts app won't let me add contacts to my Gmail contact database.

There's no cross platform chat widely available.
    BBM is supposed to have all these new features, however one of my friends was unfortunate enough to get a 9900 on my advice, and BBM voice between OS10 and OS7 devices is buggy as heck, it just will never let us call each other and the quality over wifi is awwwwful when it does connect.
    Prior to release uTorrent remote was publicised, still nothing, and the torrent app released was withdrawn because BB don't want torrent apps.

Honestly, anyone who describes this device as anything other than beta is doing potential buyers a disservice. It has a lot of potential, but at the moment its almost crippling how handicapped this is as a tool.
    I have to use a comp to handle my emails most of the time, the email client is that bad.

Oh and you can't easily call people from within other apps like BBM etc, so they haven't thought through workarounds for the loss of a call button.
    The text selections for words, text, etc in sentences is the worst of any I have tried on any system. The trackpad is sorely missed.
    The phone is unstable and unreliable at times, it has almost no good apps, games, or productivity tools.

It is fun to play with and will likely be competitive in about a year's time, and functional by the time the beta period ends and the States release happens. Where the competition will be by then is anyone's guess.
    02-22-13 06:40 AM
    When it comes to a phone, I need security, and ease of use, compability for my job, a map that works, and a simple browser. I don't need new and exciting. I am going to give the z10 a shot, but if it doesn't work for me, I have no problems going back to my 9930 and selling it on ebay. And with the BGR article, we all know that they are anti-blackberry in every way. Just because one game sells well doesn't mean that it will be taking over. And lets not forget that Apple was selling at 13 doller at one point.
    The BGR article didn't have anything to do with BB lol....but i do agree that they can be very anti-BB at times. It was more a point that apps are huge for mobile devices. I respect your device needs but when you say you dont need "anything new and exciting" (lol) i have to chuckle a little cause thats what got BB in the position they are in now. Apple selling at $13 a share...that was before I really got into tech so I cant truly speak on it but I'd assume it was because they weren't making products people wanted. Innovation, in my opinion (with lots of great marketing), got them back in the game. We need BB to do the same. Its crazy to me because I know many businesses need secure devices yet many are still switching. I guess it either implies that security doesnt matter as much, or the security of other devices are catching up in some form. Samsung making commercials attacking BB position as the dominate enterprise leader is very telling in my opinion. sooner or later someone is going to make a very convincing reason for people to leave BB for security. I want BB to innovate before that happens
    02-22-13 09:02 AM

I personally dont think that it selling well has anything to do with it not being a inferior product. Its sales are a fraction of what IOS and android sell and thats ok because its a new product. Its selling though because its absolutely a HUGE upgrade for those coming from BBOS. BB users finally have a competitive product to buy...but the competition has had these features for awhile, and like bobauckland said, for many the Z10 is missing many features that a BB is known for.

Is it as beta product...lol i cant say as im in the states still waiting for my device , but I know that by the time it comes to the U.S., many of these complaints need to be ironed out
    02-22-13 09:20 AM
    Yes there is a learning curve for any device but lets be real, the Iphone has the lowest learning curve. Its just that simple. Most people love that about it. I personally think I would get bored with it fast but I see why people like it.
    I don't think people on a whole get it. The learning curve on iDevices is always claimed as no learning curve. I call bull****. The only reason they say that is they already learned the UI on a previous iDevice. When a user gets to an iPhone, after using an iPod touch, or to an iPad after using the iPhone.

Can anyone say that posting the square button 'twice' was intuitive? Do you go around expecting something to happen on other devices by pressing the power button twice? What then should I expect if I press the square button three times?

Everything has a learning curve.

Many people remark that having used a PlayBook has reduced the learning curve for the Z10.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    02-22-13 09:24 AM
    The article itself is them reporting on a report from another website. And clearly they have no clue what porting means. Well, I'm sure they do, they just prefer to mislead and lie. BUT, seriously, check out the 'related stories'? Can they be any more blatant?

Attachment 137180
    Setting aside the issue of "related stories," is there anything in the content of the report that is inaccurate?
    02-22-13 11:16 AM
    Setting aside the issue of "related stories," is there anything in the content of the report that is inaccurate?
    Perhaps its just semantics, but the entire statement is likely wrong. The application is coming to BB10, in fact the exact same application as is used for the Android OS.

While I, and most BlackBerry users, would prefer a native version....

02-22-13 11:22 AM
    Perhaps its just semantics, but the entire statement is likely wrong. The application is coming to BB10, in fact the exact same application as is used for the Android OS.

While I, and most BlackBerry users, would prefer a native version....

I understand what you're saying about semantics and I'm the first to admit I have no idea what porting an Android app to BlackBerry is all about. But the last statement you posted is the one that I think could cause problems for BlackBerry. Most BlackBerry loyalists are going to be more willing to accept some of BB10's app limitations. But the general public is going to look at it differently. They are going to want their favorite apps available in a similar fashion to what they have become accustomed.
    02-22-13 11:34 AM
    I understand what you're saying about semantics and I'm the first to admit I have no idea what porting an Android app to BlackBerry is all about. But the last statement you posted is the one that I think could cause problems for BlackBerry. Most BlackBerry loyalists are going to be more willing to accept some of BB10's app limitations. But the general public is going to look at it differently. They are going to want their favorite apps available in a similar fashion to what they have become accustomed.
    I think you may have it backwards. Those who are coming from Android will get the application in the form they were used to. The BlackBerry loyalist will be the one who is least comfortable with a non-native solution. But, at the same time, most willing to tolerate the situation.

02-22-13 11:39 AM
    I don't think people on a whole get it. The learning curve on iDevices is always claimed as no learning curve. I call bull****. The only reason they say that is they already learned the UI on a previous iDevice. When a user gets to an iPhone, after using an iPod touch, or to an iPad after using the iPhone.

Can anyone say that posting the square button 'twice' was intuitive? Do you go around expecting something to happen on other devices by pressing the power button twice? What then should I expect if I press the square button three times?

Many people remark that having used a PlayBook has reduced the learning curve for the Z10.

I'm thinking of it from a different perspective. When I say talk about comparing the learning curves of certain devices, I'm talking about for someone who has never used BB10, android, or IOS....which one could they learn quickest without anyone really explaining the OS to them? I personally think without a doubt its IOS. I don't think it takes away from any other OS. I love the gestures of my PlayBook...but if someone said they want a phone that is simple to navigate and not complicated, IOS would be first to pop into my mind
    02-22-13 11:51 AM
    I'm thinking of it from a different perspective. When I say talk about comparing the learning curves of certain devices, I'm talking about for someone who has never used BB10, android, or IOS....which one could they learn quickest without anyone really explaining the OS to them? I personally think without a doubt its IOS. I don't think it takes away from any other OS. I love the gestures of my PlayBook...but if someone said they want a phone that is simple to navigate and not complicated, IOS would be first to pop into my mind
    At this point I find it hard to imagine anyone having not had some exposure to an IDevice.

But my personal experience that demonstrates iOS as unintuitive went as follows.

I had hard that iOS finally had multitasking, so I went to an Apple store to check it out. I hadn't checked any videos or articles beforehand.

I picked up the phone....10 minutes later I surrendered my pride and asked one of the staff how multitasking worked.

He said you press the button twice.

No way I could have guessed!

On the flip side, if someone doesn't know they can swipe across the PlayBook's screen to wake it, then they can fall back to pursuing the power button. This seems more intuitive. Not to mention that once your body learns the swipe technique, you'll use it for every device.

convenor likes this.
    02-22-13 01:48 PM
    You sir....
    You also believe that what ever sorting/matching algorithm they are using to post 'related stories' came up with that list? Wow, clueless. Take database design, study sorting algorithms, learn about how searches work. Read more than Crackberry posts. Learn something.
    02-22-13 06:25 PM
    Everyone who goes on and on about 'shorts' and media bias against BlackBerry has just never owned the Z10. If you roll with it for a while you can see why people might be pessimistic at the moment. It has great potential, but at the moment it doesn't really do anything particularly well apart from looking cute.
    If this device was released as is in the States it would sink like a rock.
    The rest of the world is being used as a beta service, its the PlayBook all over again.
    I can only hope this has a better ending.
    Where there's smoke, most of the time, there's fire.
    The people who were misleading everyone were people uber hyping the Z10 as mind blowing prior to launch.
    It's a cute toy, but nothing more, at least not yet.
    i bought one from canada. it is truly amazing. you've never touched one nor used one and you post about it as if you know something. lol, fail. hard.
    02-22-13 06:51 PM
    If you're an adult....you don't use "fail". Grow up, that crap has been played out along time ago.

And yes, CNET loves to wack off to Apple products at lunch break.
    fail. it's not played out, i'm bringing it back. and partial fail. they wack off to Apple products ALL day, not just lunch.
    Last edited by winter_hat; 02-22-13 at 08:07 PM.
    02-22-13 06:53 PM
    I've yet to see a genuinely unbiased review for any new tech.
    When it comes to BB10, the Z10 and Q10, I tend to read everything and make up my own mind.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 10:00 PM
    i bought one from canada. it is truly amazing. you've never touched one nor used one and you post about it as if you know something. lol, fail. hard.
    You're clueless mate, I got one the second day it was out here.

If you do actually own a Z10, which I doubt, why don't you go through that list I put out above of it's deficiencies vs every other platform available at the moment, instead of trying to look smart and failing hard at it.

Ignoring problems doesn't get anyone anywhere.
    02-23-13 04:22 AM
    If one would say about learning curves on a smartphone, I think you are wrong.
    If someone who has never owned or seen someone close to them using a smartphone, I would say android phones are the easiest.
    There's nothing easier than a relatively shown u-turn key to go back to previous page. Especially for those whom has been using old Sony ericssons or old mobile phones. It's just plain logical to see the button and know that this is to go back to previous page (back). I think anyone who has never used a smartphone given an android will be very easy to learn and get accustomed to the functions.
    Androids are the easiest learning curve for new comers in the smartphone business..
    02-23-13 07:44 AM
    If one would say about learning curves on a smartphone, I think you are wrong.
    If someone who has never owned or seen someone close to them using a smartphone, I would say android phones are the easiest.
    There's nothing easier than a relatively shown u-turn key to go back to previous page. Especially for those whom has been using old Sony ericssons or old mobile phones. It's just plain logical to see the button and know that this is to go back to previous page (back). I think anyone who has never used a smartphone given an android will be very easy to learn and get accustomed to the functions.
    Androids are the easiest learning curve for new comers in the smartphone business..
    I agree with you. Android or even iPhone is easier to use than Z10. On Z10 people try to learn the gesture. One or two days will be painful and full of confuseness. Third day, users are understand how to use gestures to replace buttons. Forth and Fifth day, everything is running smooth by using Z10. Sixth day, user change back to his/her previous smartphone and try to swipe all the way.

Seventh day, user are back to Z10 because he/she already finds that none can be as easy as using gestures to navigate your smartphone.

End of story.
    02-23-13 08:04 AM
    If you like Justin Beiber, KILL YOURSELF! But the point still stands. If you ask most people who buy into apple why they do, they will just shoot out the typical catch phrases. "It just works" "its simple and looks great" All BB needs to do is just advertise more.
    Yup. It just works.

I like that in stuff I buy.

Unlike the two 9930s I had to return that bricked themselves.

I have yet to experience an iDevice bricking itself on me. No iPad, no iPhone, no iPod. Never. Silly me, I spend money and I have the audacity to like the fact that it works. Go figure.
    john_v likes this.
    02-23-13 08:16 AM
    Case in point. Justin Bieber Statistics | Statistic Brain Its not 30million, but proves a point. Garbage does sell.
    It sure sells. A lot. Millions.

Between him and the millions he's earned in selling garbage, and what any of us has in the bank, I'd guess he's laughing all the way to his bank.
    Rello likes this.
    02-23-13 08:18 AM
    Well the iphone has the "lowest" learning curve because it is based off tec that is going on 6 years old. And when was the last truley innovative Apple idea? making it bigger or thinner is not innovation. And when apple tries to do their own thing, it's a distaster, i.e. apple's new map program. It was unusable for how long? And honestly if Netflix and instagram are deal breakers for you, the an BB is not the device for you. The truth hurts, but BB is at heart a communations device. And for the communations, it's all there and the has always been the best in town. And if you say that I am not a "typical" smartphone user because I don't want a toy, well then so be it. I use my smartphone to get things done, not play games or look cool.
    I know....it's so disgraceful that iOS is six years old.....SIX YEARS OLD.....that is ANCIENT.

So unlike Blackberry....I mean, my 9900 has an OS that has been around only since 2003.....I mean, that's....um....oh dear....nevermind....
    john_v likes this.
    02-23-13 08:28 AM
    When it comes to a phone, I need security, and ease of use, compability for my job, a map that works, and a simple browser. I don't need new and exciting. I am going to give the z10 a shot, but if it doesn't work for me, I have no problems going back to my 9930 and selling it on ebay. And with the BGR article, we all know that they are anti-blackberry in every way. Just because one game sells well doesn't mean that it will be taking over. And lets not forget that Apple was selling at 13 doller at one point.
    But yet you complain that iOS is six years old....so which is it? do you or don't you appreciate new and exciting?

I have been using my SGIII almost exclusively since I got it. I am able to get as much done as I ever have. I do appreciate BB's security, and BBM. Other than that, if BB were to go away tomorrow, there would be absolutely no loss in functionality to me. I would simply get banking apps on my iPhone and that's it.
    My map works. Perfectly well. Others have had problems, but since I don't live in Australia where there were wrong directions, there have been absolutely no problems with my iPhone maps.

And a phone must, above and beyond everything else, work. Two 9930s got returned to Verizon because they bricked. My three and a half iPhone 3GS? Works smooth as silk on iOS5. My iPhone 4S works just as silky smooth on iOS6.

How will my 9900 work on BB10, I wonder.....oh, ooooops, wait.....um....scratch that....
    richardat, Rello and john_v like this.
    02-23-13 08:39 AM

So when someone buys their first idevice, like I did, how did I know how to use it since there was no prior idevice? Because really, there is a world of difference between an iPod and an iPhone 3GS....last I checked I couldn't send emails on my iPod....Is this one of those before there was nothing there was something kind of arguments that I just can't visualise?

And I don't own a PB....it was not for me. It was a device crippled from day one. It went back to the store one day after I realised it was completely unfinished.
    02-23-13 08:48 AM
    I own an Iphone4s, Nokia Lumia and BBZ10 and have used the Galaxy III on several occasions and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I would say that each of them has a learning curve for a firsttime owner.

In regards to the OP in the case of BB/RIM, I think what a lot of people take exception to is not just the criticism. It's always good to criticize as it gives the company valuable feedback. What gets under people's skin is the way the "goalposts" keep changing everytime the "analysts" are proven wrong. For example first they reported that RIM would not make it past 2011, then it was that they would not make it to 2012. Then it was that BB10 would not ever see the light of day. Then it was that BB10 would be DOA. Then it was that the Z10 is a bad device that would not sell well in the markets in which it was released. Now it is that it is not going to do well in the States, etc, etc. These reports, some of which have been proven wrong, create certain perceptions among the public. Last week I was in Florida on business and I walked into an AT & T store and was showing the sales person my Z10 and she could not believe that it was a blackberry device. The comments I was getting was "I thought RIM went bankrupt and was out of business"
    02-23-13 09:28 AM
78 1234