6-7 months Apple appeared invincible, with confidence in its ability to deliver a standout product at an all time high. Stock price peaking around over $700/share. Fast forward after the release of the iPhone 5, iPad mini and a slew of others and the overall feeling has never been different. The confidence that Apple is a sector leader by a large degree is gone, trust in its ability to innovate and deliver a standout product is also gone. Don't get me wrong Apple is still immensely a strong company with many users and strong demand, but I feel like this is reminiscent to BlackBerry of 2007-2008, resting on its laurels. The confidence that it is the best and must have is no longer here, the magic is gone. The competition is getting more fierce everyday (Z10, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z) and it feels as if the next iPhone couldn't come fast enough.

So do you guys think Apple is teetering on the edge at the moment similar to Blackberry 2007-2008? Not in terms of bankruptcy or becoming irrelevant (That would be insane) but in terms of losing out on its title as the coolest, most innovative company producing the best electronics in the public eye.
    03-17-13 04:24 PM
    very slim chance. unlike blackberry, apple is more than a one product company.
    03-17-13 04:29 PM
    6-7 months Apple appeared invincible, with confidence in its ability to deliver a standout product at an all time high. Stock price peaking around over $700/share. Fast forward after the release of the iPhone 5, iPad mini and a slew of others and the overall feeling has never been different. The confidence that Apple is a sector leader by a large degree is gone, trust in its ability to innovate and deliver a standout product is also gone. Don't get me wrong Apple is still immensely a strong company with many users and strong demand, but I feel like this is reminiscent to BlackBerry of 2007-2008, resting on its laurels. The confidence that it is the best and must have is no longer here, the magic is gone. The competition is getting more fierce everyday (Z10, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z) and it feels as if the next iPhone couldn't come fast enough.

So do you guys think Apple is teetering on the edge at the moment similar to Blackberry 2007-2008? Not in terms of bankruptcy or becoming irrelevant (That would be insane) but in terms of losing out on its title as the coolest, most innovative company producing the best electronics in the public eye.
    Apple fumbled the iPhone 5. They didn't introduce anything spectacular and the OS is getting long in the tooth. It's still smooth and absolutely trouble free for me, but it's the same thing year after year. The longer device keeping the same width and the lighter feel of it made it feel awkward. I skipped it entirely.

That said.....Apple's lessened success with the iPhone 5 launch would be much desired by many companies out there. By Apple standards, it is was a disappointment. Many companies would aspire to that level of disappointment. Apple will need to do something B I G with the next device or they will begin to see increasing losses. For now, they've had a bad few months due to a less than spectacular launch. But with Apple everyone has become used to astronomical gains, so anything less would be perceived as a loss.

I will get the next iPhone, I think. We'll see.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-17-13 04:35 PM
    As far as the mobile space in concerned, yes. I hear someone everyday complaining about their iphone, and people are bored of it and its dated OS.
    03-17-13 04:36 PM
    $2 billion versus $137 billions cash? Not very likely.
    03-17-13 04:37 PM
    All that energy wasted on hatred for a piece of glass, plastic and little wires.
    True, but I also think the point of apple and Steve Jobs was that it's products are more than the sum of those parts, that they be works of elegant design to be appreciated for more than just their functions.
    Still, I agree that the iPhone is about to face the same need for a revolution rather than evolution, much as blackberry did. It won't be an easy time for them either.
    03-17-13 04:50 PM
    True, but I also think the point of apple and Steve Jobs was that it's products are more than the sum of those parts, that they be works of elegant design to be appreciated for more than just their functions.
    Still, I agree that the iPhone is about to face the same need for a revolution rather than evolution, much as blackberry did. It won't be an easy time for them either.
    I do love the design of my iPhone 4S. I preferred it over the iPhone 5. I see nothing wrong with holding my 4S in my hand and having it feel solid and smooth and have the feel of a quality product.

It will be interesting to see how Apple fares in the next two quarters, until the new iPhone is released...and then, what it will be. If it's the same, it will be trouble.
    03-17-13 04:52 PM
    @bambinoitaliano, I never said anything comparing the two companies financials directly. I am comparing more of their market positions and view as the "It" device.

On a side note your argument is flawed. Comparing apples cash position of today to Blackberry after its decline. How about comparing it to Blackberry 2007? Since I'm saying both companies rested on its laurels

Posted via CB10
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    03-17-13 04:53 PM
    I don't think so. It took blackberry how many years before they were able to release a touchscreen device that's on the same level as the iPhone? Apple's bread & butter is being able to expand into new markets ie iPod,iPhone,iPad, etc etc. I expect the next big thing to be something outside of the smartphone. Google is releasing the google glass, Apple is releasing who knows what, meanwhile blackberry will be playing catchup in the smartphone market.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    03-17-13 05:01 PM
    Or releasing innovative mobile computing alternatives...just sayin.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 05:06 PM
    I don't think so. It took blackberry how many years before they were able to release a touchscreen device that's on the same level as the iPhone? Apple's bread & butter is being able to expand into new markets ie iPod,iPhone,iPad, etc etc. I expect the next big thing to be something outside of the smartphone. Google is releasing the google glass, Apple is releasing who knows what, meanwhile blackberry will be playing catchup in the smartphone market.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk

Google glass is a niche product if there ever was one. It's not the next big thing.
    03-17-13 05:08 PM
    Google glass is a niche product if there ever was one. It's not the next big thing.
    That may be the case, I'm just saying how other companies are thinking about the next big thing outside of smartphones.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Rello and MERCDROID like this.
    03-17-13 05:10 PM
    @bambinoitaliano, I never said anything comparing the two companies financials directly. I am comparing more of their market positions and view as the "It" device.

On a side note your argument is flawed. Comparing apples cash position of today to Blackberry after its decline. How about comparing it to Blackberry 2007? Since I'm saying both companies rested on its laurels

Posted via CB10
    Assuming Apple share the same Ceo the like of Jim Basillie. I would like to think Apple is going on a different path. True, cash position is not the only indication of the future of a company, it is however, a tell tale sign of a healthy company. Did BlackBerry ever in that cash position at the company's height? All I am saying Apple got a lot more room to maneuver to create the next operating system for their phone and computer.
    03-17-13 05:13 PM
    You can't really be sure about that lol. It hasn't hit the market and we do the know all its features and how it will be marketed. I agree with u in the sense that I can't see myself getting one right now but depending on what it's capable of, I'd sure consider getting it...
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-17-13 05:14 PM
    As soon as my like button comes back, I'll like some of ya'lls comments lol
    MERCDROID and projectman like this.
    03-17-13 05:16 PM
    Not sure what the attitude is when I read posts like this. I have never met an iPhone user who believes the bitten apple is something to be worshiped. I used a Blackberry Torch 9800 for 2 years...and for more than just BBM and email. But it was waaaaay under powered and was veeeery slow. It became agonizing to do...well...anything. Other than that it was fine, but it is a bit embarrassing when it takes 30 seconds for the hourglass symbol to go away and do what I asked it to do. When my company lost faith in BB and told me that I could choose an iPhone I jumped on the chance. It is fast, with almost never a hesitation to do the thing I asked it to do. I am not an Apple fanboy and hopefully I don't draw too much fire on this... The iPhone just works. If the Torch had just worked and wasn't so slow I would have stuck with that. I will be looking at the Z10 when my upgrade time comes because it does look innovative. My point is...many folks tout the perfectness of their favorite phone and call anyone else a fanboy, a freak, stuck up, or fruit worshiper just because their preference lies elsewhere. It may be time to grow up and realize that their really may be good reasons to use a different brand even if you don't agree. I realize this is the Crackberry site so most of the readers prefer BBs and I will likely be flamed for admitting that I gave up any BB (even 1 that really is inferior) for an apple with a bite taken out of it...but it is a tool and it needs to actually work. When the iPhone stops working they will lose my business and someone with a phone that works for me will get my business.
    distributor1, MERCDROID and Rello like this.
    03-17-13 05:17 PM
    As soon as my like button comes back, I'll like some of ya'lls comments lol
    I'm walking out of this one, love. Already did what I could about it.
    Rello likes this.
    03-17-13 05:17 PM
    I'm walking out of this one, love. Already did what I could about it.
    I think im with you.....I feel a Storm brewing (no pun intended) lol
    03-17-13 05:20 PM
    I have never been in a Apple store when it was not teeming with happy Apple customers.
    03-17-13 05:23 PM
    Apple is so gigantic it can go years yet without being in trouble.
    03-17-13 05:25 PM
    AKA, you're giving up, because you were thoroughly owned. GG.
    Smh, dude/chick grow up. It's not that serious.

MERCDROID likes this.
    03-17-13 05:28 PM
    Lol...I have a bunch of Apple gadgets and those links made me.laugh.out.loud.

FYI...I am moving away from Apple for allot of the reasons this fellow points out...walled garden is too restrictive and same or better for cheaper is available...give some underdogs and startups my business.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    Side note: I'm looking forward to trying out the Z10 on 3/22...

Lay low, Marty and Rello. Don't get caught up in it.
    Rello likes this.
    03-17-13 05:29 PM
    C'mon Rello you can't expect people to use logic. If you use anything other than a Bb you're either brainwashed/sheep, etc etc.

Or just ready for a change...like me.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 05:36 PM
28 12