So im deciding if this is even worth the 10 a month. I have live search and Google maps...they are okay....
    I thought i read somewhere that VZW blackberry's dont have text to speech in their VZ Nav. is this true? and one last thing...do they offer the 2.99 plan for 24 hrs?

so does it suck or is it worth it.
    09-05-08 12:05 PM
    I use it and like it a lot. I only use it in the winter months for the most part when traveling to different ski resorts. But I reccomend it 100%. I use google maps also when I need some quick directions just to get an idea of where somewhere is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 12:15 PM
    i've been using VZ NAV for about 3 years and i really like it! i've found it to be accurate and handy when aearching for restaurants and hotels!

No speech to text with the VZ NAV.

There is audible turn by turn directions (if that's what you mean by text to speech). you have to manually enter the address or do a local search for an address.

i didn't see an option for the daily use of Nav. you may want to call into customer care for that! however you can download the 9.99, try it and if you don't like it then you can cancel it and it will be pro-rated.

i think it's worth it, yes!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-06-08 at 06:59 PM.
    09-06-08 02:40 PM
    I use it a lot. Always looking for new places to eat or visit. Works like a charm.....
    09-06-08 02:55 PM
    VZ Navigator does have text to speech for spoken street names.
    09-06-08 04:47 PM
    No text to speech.... It does talk to you, but you can talk to it, but it will not listen
    09-06-08 06:21 PM
    VZ Navigator does have text to speech for spoken street names.
    So it will say "turn left on Southern Avenue" Rather than simply "in 500 feet, turn left"?
    09-06-08 07:42 PM
    I use it all the time at work. Comes in handy for quick addy directions when a call comes in. It will tell u turn right on cicero in 500 ft and as u get closer it will repeat turn right in blah blah ft. I think deffinetly worth the price. Even if just to look up the closest starbucks in an area.
    09-06-08 08:03 PM
    If you're considering VZ Navigator, look into getting an external bluetooth GPS device. Some people claim it's possible to use VZNav with one and not have to deal with $10/month. Plus, you'll be able to use the GPS with other programs too!
    09-06-08 08:23 PM
    If you're considering VZ Navigator, look into getting an external bluetooth GPS device. Some people claim it's possible to use VZNav with one and not have to deal with $10/month. Plus, you'll be able to use the GPS with other programs too!
    I've got my garmin in the car I use for work, and really don't want to carry another puck, thing, or whatever. Right now Google Maps pseudo gps has been working very well and love th search feature for my Arby's fix
    09-06-08 08:50 PM
    So it will say "turn left on Southern Avenue" Rather than simply "in 500 feet, turn left"?
    Yes it will attempt to pronounce the street names. The pronunciations are sometimes, shall we say, "unique," but it does a reasonable job most of the time.
    09-07-08 10:42 AM
    LOL! i love when it says a road name incorrectly! Makes me laugh every time and i start calling the street by that name!

i am hoping for the updated 4.0 vz nav for the bb's soon. But i really like it overall! Use it at least once a week.

09-07-08 01:40 PM
    i think im gonna have to try it
    09-07-08 08:34 PM
    got vz nav yesterday and i like it.
    09-11-08 08:20 AM
    got vz nav yesterday and i like it.
    Good to hear! The upgraded VZ Nav, 4.0, will be released soon for Blackberry. It's great!

i've used VZ Nav for 3 years and i've also used Garmin. i prefer VZ Nav for it's mobility, auto updates and ease of use. The new version has a place message feature which is awesome!

09-11-08 10:13 AM
    any idea when that version (4.0) will be released for bb?
    09-11-08 01:31 PM
    any idea when that version (4.0) will be released for bb?
    I posted a release notice sent to VZW reps in the VZW forum here. It stated 9/8, which has obviously come and gone. Apparently the notice has since been updated to say "Soon."
    09-11-08 03:14 PM
    I just started using VZ Nav and must say it is most awesome! Only one tme did it provide incorrent information - it told me to turn left on a street that runs parallel (sp?) to the street I was on. If it showed traffic, it would be near perfect. Oh and the audible instructions work very well on my Curve. It does get pissed when you don't follow its instruction and in a rude tone says - re-calculating route...LOL.
    09-12-08 09:43 AM
    If I am using this and the screen shuts off will it bring the screen back up and say when I need to make the turn? I am so tired of having to print out directions when I need to go somewhere. I have Google Maps but if I need to get gas and have to drive around I want to be able to get back on the road in no time...
    09-12-08 03:42 PM
    If I am using this and the screen shuts off will it bring the screen back up and say when I need to make the turn? I am so tired of having to print out directions when I need to go somewhere. I have Google Maps but if I need to get gas and have to drive around I want to be able to get back on the road in no time...
    that's a good question. i know you can have VZ Nav running in the background and it will still give you audible directions. it doesn't go back to the screen though, it stays on whatever app you are using.

i will have to test that after work today. put the Nav screen on and see if it lights back up when a turn is coming up. i doubt it will but would like to try it. i know it will still give audio.
    09-12-08 03:58 PM
    Usually VZnavigator will keep your screen from going black if I remember correctly. I have always just set my phone down on my console and listen for directions, when I look down the screen is never black. This may not work if you run it in the background though.

Keep a car charger handy though, long trips w/vzn will run a battery down.
    09-12-08 08:11 PM
    Yes. It definitely stays on when the nav is running. The screen won't darken. i usually have my phone plugged into the car charger. But even if it's not it stays lit.

i'm wondering if it'll come back on when the phone's put in standby (mute button). i have yet to try it.

09-12-08 08:34 PM
    I went and got it and I must say I am really happy with it. I wish though that blackberry users could get the VZ Navigator 4.0. I like it and I think I will keep it for awhile. It does take a while to recalculate but other than that it was pretty nice.
    09-14-08 01:15 AM
    I am an over the road trucker, and the ten bucks a month is worth it. The new version, once available, is very worth it. Would not be without it.
    09-15-08 12:54 AM
    If it showed traffic, it would be near perfect.

The next update it should. And with the traffic, it will tell you if there is a traffic "issue" ahead, like an accident. I have no clue how it knows if there is an accident, or how it gets its info, but it works.
    09-15-08 12:57 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD