I have a BlackBerry Pearl that I use with a Bluetooth headset.
    I use voice dialing for most of my calls. I like the BlackBerry
    voice dialing but I really want a phone that announces the
    name of the caller through the Bluetooth headset.

Does any BlackBerry have this feature? If not, do you know
    any phones that do?
    11-15-08 10:58 PM
    Certain Windows Mobile phones loaded with Microsoft Voice Command software do this. It's pretty cool, and quite handy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 01:33 PM
    Treo 700w does...and annoying as sh*t (one of my colleague has it). You can't understand what it's saying anyways.

I use ringtones to differentiate callers. Anyone without a custom ringtone I don't want to know is calling anyways
    11-17-08 10:51 AM
    yea Id think that would be really annoying lol
    11-17-08 10:54 AM
    It's annoying to others unless you set the alerts to come through your Bluetooth headset only.
    11-17-08 11:47 AM
    I hope not. That sounds (sic) awful.
    11-17-08 11:49 AM
    My aunt's phone does that, and it's not even a smart phone, just some flip phone. Good idea, but I wouldn't use it...
    11-17-08 12:18 PM
    Use your voice notes recorder to record yourself saying the persons name. Then set that recording as that persons ringtone.
    11-17-08 12:31 PM
    My Treo had it and it was awesome. It may have mispronounced a few names, but you knew what it was saying. Doing an individual file for each contact as timber says sucks, and I only have 400+. It was a great feature, in that it would even read the number of an unknown caller, which is great if you get a lot of telemarketers like I do with this as my listed business line. I hope someone develops one.
    12-15-08 09:01 PM
    My old Dash had that. It would announce callers, read sms's out to me and all. I loved it, I really wish my Curve did this, it was a massive dissappointment when I discovered it didn't work with the new phone,
    12-15-08 09:46 PM
    Somebody write this app! Right now! Do it! I would gladly pay the same $ for talking caller ID that I paid for Microsoft voice command! Somebody must know how to do this and also like money!

Ready...GO!
    12-17-08 11:37 PM
    Nobody's gonna write such a thing without super bucks. Voice software is very expensive to code/compile.

12-17-08 11:50 PM
    Treo 700w does...and annoying as sh*t (one of my colleague has it). You can't understand what it's saying anyways.

I use ringtones to differentiate callers. Anyone without a custom ringtone I don't want to know is calling anyways
    Lmao at your PIN message
    12-17-08 11:56 PM
    My old treo 700wx had and i thought it was great. Someone please write this app, i need it.
    03-31-09 09:28 PM
    It's easy enough just to create a Custom Ringtone for callers in in your Address Book that announces the caller's name. Won't work, obviously, for callers that aren't in your address book, though.

Go here. AT&T Labs Text-to-Speech: Demo

Type your text. Select a voice. Download the file. Convert it to an MP3. Send it to your device. Set it as the Custom Ringtone for your Contact. Repeat as needed.
    03-31-09 09:45 PM
    My old Kyocera phone did this (through wired headset). I could even respond with "yes" or "no" to have the phone answer the call without ever touching the phone.

I think there are limitations with bluetooth headsets being able to send audio and call notification at the same time. It would make sense to have a bluetooth device that can handle the address book and announce the caller. It would take the load off of the phone (the phone wouldn't matter as long as the address book can be sync'd).

03-31-09 09:58 PM
    It's easy enough just to create a Custom Ringtone for callers in in your Address Book that announces the caller's name. Won't work, obviously, for callers that aren't in your address book, though.

Type your text. Select a voice. Download the file. Convert it to an MP3. Send it to your device. Set it as the Custom Ringtone for your Contact. Repeat as needed.
    So I want to do this for 400+ contacts?!
    10-21-09 05:27 PM
    It is the best solution thus far. Switch to the Treo then. It does just that.

10-21-09 05:46 PM
    So I want to do this for 400+ contacts?!
    And .....?

Better get started.
    10-21-09 08:49 PM
    Use your voice notes recorder to record yourself saying the persons name. Then set that recording as that persons ringtone.

correct thats the best idea so far
    10-22-09 04:09 AM
    This is a normal feature on most verizon LG phones.

my LG VX10K had it, both my Wifes and daughters LG EnV2 & EnV3 have or had it.

We love that feature.

Now my Wife and me have BB, and miss this awesome feature.

So from reading the various websites, it looks like this needed feature does not exist on BB phones.

12-30-09 07:43 AM
    GREAT idea! Thankyou for sharing!

12-31-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD