Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. Hotel's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    PIN
    and needle
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default does the 8530 have GPS?

    I am looking into upgrading my 8330 over to the 8530. I am with verizon, and know how they like to cripple 3rd party access to the GPS.

    has this been changed? is there any GPS in the unit?

    Thank you
    Yes, I am ADDICTED!! How can you tell?
    Keeping it "Shiney side up" be it 2 wheels or 18
  2. tracey616's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    142 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Yes. I was using Bing and had to enable the GPS to Location On. So, I guess it's there!
  3. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    According to BlackBerry's web site, the 8530 has GPS capabilities. If the 8530 has the same GPS chip as the 9630, then you could reasonably expect it to work on Verizon. The best strategy is to go to the store and try one.
  4. Hotel's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    PIN
    and needle
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    just ordered it. Thank you for the replies.
    Yes, I am ADDICTED!! How can you tell?
    Keeping it "Shiney side up" be it 2 wheels or 18
  5. #5  

    Default

    8530 has GPS?! Why didn't we (8520) users get that as well?

    Thanks RIM...
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

    Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

  6. JoeT6681's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    PIN
    Crackalackin
    #6  

    Default

    Actually sorry but gps for 8350 on verizon is still locked. Only bb maps works with it. Google maps won't lock on and anything requiring gps will say "locating" so its still limited to bb maps.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  7. spocoeric's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    120 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    8530 has GPS?! Why didn't we (8520) users get that as well?

    Thanks RIM...
    xx10 = GSM w/GPS
    xx20 = GSM w/WiFi
    xx30 = CDMA

    I heard at some point RIM's plan was to release an 8510 that would do GPS, but no WiFi. Haven't heard much about it in a while though.
  8. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    JoeT6681 and tracey616 cannot both be correct. Someone is mistaken. I don't have an 8530 and cannot check for myself, but this misunderstanding needs to be cleared up. Anyone?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  9. JoeT6681's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    PIN
    Crackalackin
    #9  

    Default

    I agree. We both can't be correct. I'm an IT person and I've had 5 BBs lifetime so my background should allow u to see I know what I'm talking about lol. Besides. All u have to do is open google maps next to a storm and you'll see the 8530 triangulates while the storm 2 is dead on. When she choose location on, that's a software option. It doesn't mean that app won't be stopped by the locked gsm chip. Her bing simply triangulated. Sorry

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Thanks for providing more information. If the internal GPS only works with bbmaps, that suggests RIM used the same GPS chip in the 85xx as in the 83xx and 88xx. That's too bad for users, if correct.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. JoeT6681's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    PIN
    Crackalackin
    #11  

    Default

    Also for more confirmation. I downloaded the police map where it shows all the police traps. I think its called trapster. It couldn't lock onto me. The storm always had a quick lock. That's suck bs that they still block gps on new phones

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. scottjb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    930 Posts
    Global Posts
    949 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    My 8330 used to position me about a mile from my house when using Google Maps. My new 8530 positions me about 100 feet from my house. I would say GPS is working just fine.
  13. JoeT6681's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    PIN
    Crackalackin
    #13  

    Default

    100 ft is still not gps though. You're just getting a gooD triangulation. If gps were allowed. You'd have it locked within 2 feet

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. gthoffman's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    From VZW website, features of 8530:

    "Stand–alone and Assisted GPS"

    So it looks like it has aGPS and regular GPS, but it might still be locked out? Sheesh, I need to get my wife a new phone, and if they don't have the GPS working correctly, I'm off to the Storm2 I think...
  15. JoeT6681's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    PIN
    Crackalackin
    #15  

    Default

    yeah, i agree its a pain...but if you use bbmaps, or vznavigator...you're fine. Unless you're a huge user for google maps, the GPS option really doesnt bother me, unless you use trapster, or something else that uses location. I have an app called beyond 411 and it has a GPS option, but i just put in the zip code and its just as good..as a mater of fact,its faster since it doesnt have to acquire a lock to get me the numbers i need.
  16. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I like the ability to use location-based apps while traveling. Some of them can use cell tower locating, but once you get accustomed to 3-m accuracy, it's hard to be satisfied with 1700-m. I was really hoping that all new Verizon devices would have a fully functioning GPS, based on the fact that the Storm and Tour do.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  17. Hotel's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    PIN
    and needle
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    I remember when my 8330 had no GPS whats so ever, and then Verizon unlocked the BBmaps app so it would work. ( i probably have that worded wrong, but you understand I hope)

    I have gotten used to BBmaps, so it is OK for me. it would be nice to have an unrestricted GPS chip, but money is tight, and affording the tour is not in the cards for me.

    Who knows? In another year or two, imagine what the blackberries of the future will be able to do, right?
    Yes, I am ADDICTED!! How can you tell?
    Keeping it "Shiney side up" be it 2 wheels or 18
  18. bunta7's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    How long does it usually take Garmin and cell carriers to come into agreement to allow users to get Garmin Mobile ???

    on this particular phone of course.

    Verizon has to GPS locked. Will only work with bbmaps. It wouldnt lock onto my location with Google Maps (within 1700 feet)!

    I want Garmin Mobile!
  19. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunta7 View Post
    How long does it usually take Garmin and cell carriers to come into agreement to allow users to get Garmin Mobile ???

    on this particular phone of course.

    Verizon has to GPS locked. Will only work with bbmaps. It wouldnt lock onto my location with Google Maps (within 1700 feet)!

    I want Garmin Mobile!
    If Verizon hasn't enabled the internal GPS to work with all third party apps, it is highly unlikely it will ever work with Garmin Mobile. Verizon appears to be an all or nothing proposition. The 8x30 devices running OS 4.5 run BBMaps, VZNav, and nothing else.
  20. bunta7's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    If Verizon hasn't enabled the internal GPS to work with all third party apps, it is highly unlikely it will ever work with Garmin Mobile. Verizon appears to be an all or nothing proposition. The 8x30 devices running OS 4.5 run BBMaps, VZNav, and nothing else.
    Doesn't the Verizon Tour and Storm work with Garmin Mobile. I thought i read somewhere that these two devices allow Garmin Mobile... hmmm?
  21. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Yes. Garmin Mobile works on the Tour, as does every other 3rd party GPS and mapping app. The Tour and Storm use a different GPS chip from the 8x30 devices. The GPS chip in the older phones works in Assisted GPS mode, which requires a ground-based, carrier-provided signal. Verizon provides that ground-based assistance for VZNav and BBMaps and nothing else, so nothing else can use the internal GPS. The GPS chip in the Tour and the Storm operates in Autonomous GPS mode, which does not require any ground-based, carrier-provided assistance. As a result, the Tour and Storm work with all 3rd party apps. The GPS works without assistance from Verizon, therefore Verizon cannot block it by declining to provide assistance.
  22. bunta7's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Yes. Garmin Mobile works on the Tour, as does every other 3rd party GPS and mapping app. The Tour and Storm use a different GPS chip from the 8x30 devices. The GPS chip in the older phones works in Assisted GPS mode, which requires a ground-based, carrier-provided signal. Verizon provides that ground-based assistance for VZNav and BBMaps and nothing else, so nothing else can use the internal GPS. The GPS chip in the Tour and the Storm operates in Autonomous GPS mode, which does not require any ground-based, carrier-provided assistance. As a result, the Tour and Storm work with all 3rd party apps. The GPS works without assistance from Verizon, therefore Verizon cannot block it by declining to provide assistance.
    Thanks Jeff. That cleared up most of the confusion i had in regards to the GPS capabilities of this particular phone.

    Does the 8530 actually have an Autonomous GPS mode? Are you also saying that the necessary GPS chip is there, but Verizon chose to lock it??? Im just wondering if Verizon will ever allow this particular phone to run Garmin Mobile.
  23. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunta7 View Post
    Thanks Jeff. That cleared up most of the confusion i had in regards to the GPS capabilities of this particular phone.

    Does the 8530 actually have an Autonomous GPS mode? Are you also saying that the necessary GPS chip is there, but Verizon chose to lock it??? Im just wondering if Verizon will ever allow this particular phone to run Garmin Mobile.
    I don't know what GPS chip is used in the 8530, so I don't know if it's capable to autonomous operation or not. Since the 8830 and 8330 have Assisted mode GPS chips, it may be that the 8530 does as well. That would be consistent with the device numbering scheme. But that's hardly conclusive proof. And there are knowledgeable sources who claim the 8830 has an autonomous GPS chip, but that it only operates in assisted mode. I don't know what chip the 8830 has, but I have one and can confirm that it only operates in assisted mode.
  24. bunta7's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    God I hate Verizon sometimes...
  25. jmw102602's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    140 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT6681 View Post
    I agree. We both can't be correct. I'm an IT person and I've had 5 BBs lifetime so my background should allow u to see I know what I'm talking about lol. Besides. All u have to do is open google maps next to a storm and you'll see the 8530 triangulates while the storm 2 is dead on. When she choose location on, that's a software option. It doesn't mean that app won't be stopped by the locked gsm chip. Her bing simply triangulated. Sorry

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The bing application does get GPS accuracy for me everytime however google maps seems to only triangulation Bing came pre installed so that could just be an app that they opened the GPS to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions