Hi all

I'm going through the midst of the holiday shopping period, and I am witnessing a lot of strong marketing by other competition.

Two examples come to mind. First, is the massive Samsung kiosk that just appeared on Black Friday in our mall and will be up through January. Attached is a picture. Everyone (including me) is approaching and playing with the galaxy tabs and gs3's.
    Trained staff stood alongside for questions.
    Second was the Microsoft surface / windows phone store in times square I passed by tonight, packed with people seeing what the hype is about.

Not sure how effective and how many people this could reach, but to the common person seeing gs3 commercials constantly, then walking through the mall and getting a hands on in a 'no pressure to buy' atmosphere would allow word of mouth to spread, and at least some more sales to the non BB enthusiast.

Any thoughts? I personally would love seeing rim blow BB10 up and put it everywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails do you think rim will be marketing in public locations?-img-20121201-00011.jpg  
    12-08-12 12:14 AM
    It is a good idea and one I would like RIM/BB to do, but my and most likely their main concern is if we do this what will happen if nobody comes.... I mean Blackberry doesn't have a big fanfare in the US atm.
    12-08-12 11:26 AM
    It is a good idea and one I would like RIM/BB to do, but my and most likely their main concern is if we do this what will happen if nobody comes.... I mean Blackberry doesn't have a big fanfare in the US atm.
    In that case RIM better start having guys out there yelling like their selling cotton candy at a carnival . . .I can see that RIM is building up buzz but I feel they are still moving too slow and not as aggressively as I would like. . .at the very least they should have some cryptic "coming soon" adverts running somewhere. . .the only people who know to wait for the phone are the tiny few fans. . .
    12-08-12 11:55 AM
    It would be impossible for RIM to set up kiosks like Samsung and Microsoft are doing without having a product to sell.

Nobody wants an IOU as a holiday gift.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    12-08-12 02:15 PM
    This is what RIM needs. People standing there ng people how gestures work. Devices have the demo videos but most of the time you walk by a device and its on the home screen
    12-08-12 02:47 PM
    This would be a good idea for places in Europe and Asia where BB is still really big but don't waste resources on these types of things in the US though, there isn't a big enough fan base as Nefiasm said.
    12-08-12 05:07 PM
    This would be a good idea for places in Europe and Asia where BB is still really big but don't waste resources on these types of things in the US though, there isn't a big enough fan base as Nefiasm said.
    Or is the the exact opposite...because there isnt a large fan base they should have these stands to get people interested
    12-09-12 08:17 AM
    -use the internet,
    -train retail sales staff properly and give them sales incentives.

a store with 3 products is a huge waste of marketing dollars.
    12-09-12 08:26 AM
    I think this is absolutely a requirement for BB10 to be successful. People trained and paid by RIMM (just like Apple Geniuses) need to be demonstrating all unique features of BB10 along with all of the swipe actions.
    12-09-12 08:32 AM
    There are 2 key items needed for strong sales.
    1- great product
    2- marketing

Rim has the product but lacks the proper marketing for the product. If Rim wants to sell BB10 devices they need to start yesterday marketing them not launch day! This is why I am still on the fence about BB10 look at the new WP 8 devices I see an ad at least once a day on TV and on the web they are all over the place.

Rim is too far behind the competition to not start advertising. I am not saying BB10 won't be a great device but hey Rim let us know!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-09-12 08:33 AM
    I do think will RIM will market in public but it may not be like the huge kiosk in the photo. The competition can market the tablets and phones; RIM can only really market the L series initially because the qwerty wouldn't be out for another couple of weeks and I would have no idea how you could market the Playbook without BB10 installed. HTC is doing a great job of marketing the 8X here in Atlanta with electronic billboards, commercials and knowledgeable in store reps that you can't really ignore.
    12-09-12 08:51 AM
    No way. They will most definitely be marketing in locations with as few people as possible. It's the best way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    12-09-12 11:28 AM
    No way. They will most definitely be marketing in locations with as few people as possible. It's the best way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    What?
    12-09-12 11:44 AM
    RIM will first have to secure their enterprise customers by proving to them that BB10 is what they need, after having proved up BB10 they can
    go after the consumer customer, no point for RIM to blowing a big budget on local stores all over the place early on,
    for RIM to be successful the bar is not all that high, so in year two after BB10 has proven itself it would make more sense to me to make a bigger
    effort to sell to the consumer market.....
    12-09-12 11:45 AM
    Or is the the exact opposite...because there isnt a large fan base they should have these stands to get people interested
    I see what your saying, but I think the US requires different types of marketing like TV ads and billboards like apple does. I can see these "stands" being a hit in places where bb is still popular only because people are still interested enough to check it out imo...

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    12-09-12 08:00 PM
    I see what your saying, but I think the US requires different types of marketing like TV ads and billboards like apple does. I can see these "stands" being a hit in places where bb is still popular only because people are still interested enough to check it out imo...

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    I agree with you.

Stands would also be inefficient in the US by the time BB10 is available for sale, since the 1st quarter of the year is not a time when many people visit malls.

TV ads during major sports events would be a more effective marketing technique.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    12-10-12 12:15 AM