Like many others, I feel slightly underwhelmed by the whole launch experience. The one feature, I REALLY like in a phone is the camera.
    With my 9900, I had the lamest camera of any of my buddies, or family. I can live with some of the stuff Kevin said he wished for or waiting for, but the camera
    dealio really set me back.
    What do you guys think, how is the CB team feeling after the launch? I, for one was SO STOKED for the whole deal, now, I dont know.
    I dont want to come across as negative, as I am really, really, hoping BB does great, and I have stuck with them this long and have been proud to use my 9900, as it has been an awesome phone, for me.
    Last edited by chrispmoto; 01-31-13 at 09:17 PM.
    01-31-13 09:06 PM
    i think kevin seemed to be excited that the wait is finally over for the actual product, and i also think kevins review was pretty honest, he seems to be generally pleased but willing to admit it's not as good as it could have been or should have been. to me that is the scary part, we all said for years if it wasn't absolutely top notch that it wouldn't be enough to draw back customers, and i do think that's where we're at right now. i'm probably going to get one as it's been 2 years since i bought a new phone, but i'd be replacing my htc sensation which is spec-wise almost identical. sure specs aren't the tell tale end all be all of the experience, but it's a bit sad to know that the z10 is identically spec'd to a 2 year old obsolete htc device. that being said the experience on bb10 looks to be pleasing, i'm just a bit worried about maps and the fact that bbm won't be useful to me as everyone has moved away. i hate to think that i'll get a z10 and within a few days be picking up the 2 year old htc because it can do things the z10 can't. and i think that kevin is likely in the same place.
    Blacklatino and chrispmoto like this.
    01-31-13 09:12 PM
    I don't see anything to be disappointed about.. people over hyped it in their minds before launch, nothing could have lived up to those expectations.. did you think it would cook you breakfast? The z10 does everything an iphone or android can do.. does it do anything extra? The UI is better in my opinion.. the browsers scores better.. other then that.. what else would it do? What kind of big feature were you expecting? I can't think of anything else I need my phone to do.
    01-31-13 09:18 PM
    I don't see anything to be disappointed about.. people over hyped it in their minds before launch, nothing could have lived up to those expectations.. did you think it would cook you breakfast? The z10 does everything an iphone or android can do.. does it do anything extra? The UI is better in my opinion.. the browsers scores better.. other then that.. what else would it do? What kind of big feature were you expecting? I can't think of anything else I need my phone to do.
    no it just really can't do everything my android can do, my android can do group video conferencing and has an extremely useful maps and navigation application that allow you to build customizable maps for different people in your business (google maps) which can also re-route you based on traffic and coordinate on the go with other employees close to you. the camera on my android phone can also take 3d interactive pictures with its camera that i can send off and people can move around in the picture. sure i think the UI looks great, and let me re-iterate; i can't wait to try it out, but i do not expect that i will consider it ok to use by itself as i will straight up be losing functionality that i have had for years now. i will do my best once i get the z10 to try to get some of my friends to try it out so that bbm isn't totally useless, but many of them were die hard blackberry and switched within just the last 12 months so that is likely to not go over well.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-31-13 09:23 PM
    I read another review complaining about the maps. If you don't like the maps or want more then sideload google maps and continue on with your life.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    just_luc likes this.
    01-31-13 09:33 PM
    i think kevin seemed to be excited that the wait is finally over for the actual product, and i also think kevins review was pretty honest, he seems to be generally pleased but willing to admit it's not as good as it could have been or should have been. to me that is the scary part, we all said for years if it wasn't absolutely top notch that it wouldn't be enough to draw back customers, and i do think that's where we're at right now. i'm probably going to get one as it's been 2 years since i bought a new phone, but i'd be replacing my htc sensation which is spec-wise almost identical. sure specs aren't the tell tale end all be all of the experience, but it's a bit sad to know that the z10 is identically spec'd to a 2 year old obsolete htc device. that being said the experience on bb10 looks to be pleasing, i'm just a bit worried about maps and the fact that bbm won't be useful to me as everyone has moved away. i hate to think that i'll get a z10 and within a few days be picking up the 2 year old htc because it can do things the z10 can't. and i think that kevin is likely in the same place.
    not sure how you can say the specs are similar, the Z10 is far more advanced.

As for features though, yeah you will be giving up the added functionality brought by those apps.

BlackBerry Z10 vs HTC Sensation 4G - Phone specs comparison
    shupor, Jake Storm and jesse_h like this.
    01-31-13 09:49 PM
    I think the people who are underwhelmed or disappointed are people who live in the United States and had the wind taken out of their sails by the fact that we won't be able to get our hands on a BlackBerry 10 device until March. We will be taunted with a commercial in 3 days during the SuperBowl, and then have to sit tight for at least a month, probably more like a month and a half.

Even typing that out is depressing.

Kevin and the team can go back to Canada, where the Z10 is set to be launched, and still feel the hype over BlackBerry 10. They don't have to be stuck in BlackBerry 10-less America, where us diehards are in limbo. We literally have no idea what day to be excited for.

But do I think Kevin and them are disappointed in the presentation? No way. I thought the presentation was pretty good. I keep in mind that Thorsten and Vivek are, after all, business professionals FIRST AND FOREMOST, and presenters only a couple days out of the year. Reading people's negative reviews about their unveiling was annoying. They're not showmen. Steve Jobs was an anomaly in terms of his on stage presence, and also his behind the scenes eccentricities that we hear horror stories about. Could BlackBerry have hired actors to do the presentation? Sure. Could they have found someone in the basement of a BlackBerry building who minored in theater and majored in business, to do the presentation? I'm sure that would have been possible too. But it was Thorsten Heins who took control of the company a year ago, who had to lay people off, who had to announce some pretty bad stuff to investors (like the delay of BlackBerry 10), so I thought it was perfectly appropriate that he was the one to do the presentation. And Vivek too.

Thorsten and Vivek's excitement during the demo was palpable...they were two grown men geeking out over something they've both worked very hard on, they couldn't stop smiling, and you can't get that level of excitement with an actor. They should have showed off some of the new voice control stuff, that's a big deal to potential iPhone converts. And they should have had Alec Saunders up there too, because he's the one who has busted his @SS to get us some decent apps, and also a great public speaker. And Donny from the BlackBerry Blog. He's good on camera too, and his video blogs for BlackBerry are always really informative.

Part of me thinks they should do a mini launch thing when the Z10 launches in the United States. By then maybe they'll have Netflix and Instagram and Spotify and Pandora, and whatever else wasn't ready in time. Could be pretty cool to show all the big name apps running on a Z10, then having the Z10 finally be in stores the next day across the United States...
    01-31-13 10:05 PM
    I got the impression that Kevin was disappointed about a few things...sound profiles, LED color control, notifications, etc...all things we take for granted on 7.1 that have been severely limited on BB10. I'm hoping the time between the US launch and now is spent by BlackBerry updating the OS to reintegrate those functions.
    Last edited by PJD642; 01-31-13 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling fail
    wrusprod likes this.
    01-31-13 10:19 PM
    A lot of the former and a little of the latter.
    01-31-13 10:21 PM
    no it just really can't do everything my android can do, my android can do group video conferencing and has an extremely useful maps and navigation application that allow you to build customizable maps for different people in your business (google maps) which can also re-route you based on traffic and coordinate on the go with other employees close to you. the camera on my android phone can also take 3d interactive pictures with its camera that i can send off and people can move around in the picture. sure i think the UI looks great, and let me re-iterate; i can't wait to try it out, but i do not expect that i will consider it ok to use by itself as i will straight up be losing functionality that i have had for years now. i will do my best once i get the z10 to try to get some of my friends to try it out so that bbm isn't totally useless, but many of them were die hard blackberry and switched within just the last 12 months so that is likely to not go over well.
    4 way video conferencing is available on BB10 with faceflow.

So... basically it's not as good because it doesn't have google maps? ummm... ok.
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-31-13 10:25 PM
    4 way video conferencing is available on BB10 with faceflow.

So... basically it's not as good because it doesn't have google maps? ummm... ok.
    typical simplification of an issue to dismiss it. no sorry, that isn't the sole factor here. the topic of where we stand with blackberry today and where we will stand with it 2-3 years from now is entirely dependent on their ability to bring back subscribers that have left. as i've stated over and over, right now they aren't there. this is a fantastic upgrade for people who are still with blackberry. the phone physically is the nicest phone i've ever seen and the software looks pretty great. it however is not really enough to bring people back right now, though i do think perhaps with a few updates and maybe more new phones with a little boost in hardware specs that may be the case.
    01-31-13 10:37 PM
    There are many reasons to be excited about BB10! It may not be as great as expected so far, but it has the potential to be awesome! It is already much better than previous BBOS'... Now it's just a matter of time before QNX and BB10 develops and evolves!..
    01-31-13 10:42 PM
    i'm probably going to get one as it's been 2 years since i bought a new phone, but i'd be replacing my htc sensation which is spec-wise almost identical. sure specs aren't the tell tale end all be all of the experience, but it's a bit sad to know that the z10 is identically spec'd to a 2 year old obsolete htc device. .
    I wouldn't say identical in specs. Z10 is faster (1.5Ghz dual core vs 1.2Ghz dual core), more RAM (2GB vs 768 MB), and better resolution (355 ppi vs 256).

I'm not saying Z10 has amazing specs but it doesn't have 2 year old hardware. More like 6 month old hardware.
    01-31-13 10:50 PM
    The Hub experience is what I think totally blows away the competition and isn't getting enough credit. I have used a iPhone, a few android devices and my 9900. The amount of emails, texts, social media messages I make in a day are in the hundreds. The ability to peak and flow during my working day while reading a pdf or checking my stock is amazing. For that, I am truly not disappointed. Many of the other stuff that we are complaining about can be added at a later date through app additions and software upgrades. This is just the beginning of BB10.
    Masahiro, Zirak, robkd and 3 others like this.
    01-31-13 11:11 PM
    The Hub experience is what I think totally blows away the competition and isn't getting enough credit.
    Agreed. The Hub is one of the primary draws of BB10 for me. It's a feature that is not very "flashy" and probably won't turn a lot of heads, but seeing as how it's something I'd use perhaps hundreds of times daily, it's a crucial aspect of a communication device.
    northernrds and jakie55 like this.
    01-31-13 11:28 PM
    That has nothing to do with the capabilities of the phone, it just depends on if Google actually wants to put their services on it or not.
    01-31-13 11:35 PM
    There are many reasons to be excited about BB10! It may not be as great as expected so far, but it has the potential... Now it's just a matter of time...
    And so it begins again.
    01-31-13 11:37 PM
    All these people complain it was underwhelming and not what they expected. Well guess what. Its not apple. They don't have phones, mp3 players, computers and etc to show off to the world. The reality is that they showed off some phones and made some things official.

I'm pissed that people are pissed and dissappointed. Why? We have seen leaks as well as official videos of what they were putting on the os. Yes they didn't show it off. But I mean go back the last 6 months and watch how it works and what they have done in those videos. We know what it does and can do so why re-do it. The release was a good amount of time and didn't not need to be any longer. We know and have known what bb10 is capable of. All we didn't know was small things as well as the device info. We didn't know about skype.
    02-01-13 03:09 AM
    i also dont see nything to be dissapointed about.. cant wait to get my hands on this thing...

but kevins review of the z10 was a lil weird.. he either sounded much more professional, or maybe a lil dissapointed.. normally talks with so much excitement he cant contain himself lol..

im gonna go with 'professional review'
    02-01-13 04:32 AM
    typical simplification of an issue to dismiss it. no sorry, that isn't the sole factor here. the topic of where we stand with blackberry today and where we will stand with it 2-3 years from now is entirely dependent on their ability to bring back subscribers that have left. as i've stated over and over, right now they aren't there. this is a fantastic upgrade for people who are still with blackberry. the phone physically is the nicest phone i've ever seen and the software looks pretty great. it however is not really enough to bring people back right now, though i do think perhaps with a few updates and maybe more new phones with a little boost in hardware specs that may be the case.
    I don't get the whole spec thing. From what I have seen, the Z10 is very fast. As fast or faster than the other flagship devices and there are many anecdotal reports that the Z10 is more stable than its competitors. It like F1 cars that produce more power than NASCAR cars despite having smaller displacement engines. QNX is very efficient and doesn't need a higher displacement "engine" to achieve performance that is better than competitors. Heck, Apple is at the bottom of the spec pack but it's OS is optimized very well.
    02-01-13 09:15 AM
    I wouldn't say identical in specs. Z10 is faster (1.5Ghz dual core vs 1.2Ghz dual core), more RAM (2GB vs 768 MB), and better resolution (355 ppi vs 256).

I'm not saying Z10 has amazing specs but it doesn't have 2 year old hardware. More like 6 month old hardware.
    Hehehe. Gotta love revisionist history.

Given how quickly mobile moves, you can see where it comes from though.

I remember when the original Torch came out. The iPhone 4 came out a couple of weeks earlier and upped the screen resolution to "retina display" while the Torch was still on the same 480 x 360 screen that previous BlackBerrys (and the iPhone 3GS!) had.

Suddenly lots of fanboys and reviewers seemed to think that the iPhone always had this high resolution screen and that the Torch had a screen that was years behind. Reality was - had the Torch been released a month earlier, no one would have noticed.
    02-01-13 09:22 AM
    Notifications is kind of a let down for me, I'd like to glance at what that notification is on screen instead of just looking at a blinking LED, then having to go in and check what it is. After all, I get alot of junk mail or other email that I don't need to respond to. Also the status bar disappearing at the top when you are in apps - not sure I like that - it remains to be seen but I think I would prefer it to always be there, or at least optional.
    02-01-13 09:53 AM
    I think Kevin is pissed about getting his pony tail cut off. I thought the knob that hosted and insisted Kevin not break his promise was rude and self loving.

The air in the room was not electric. It was awkward at best.

Bummed and looking for some way to breath life into BB is what I think Kevin and company are doing.

No screaming and giggling from Kevin is a sure sign.

Felt like one or two other BB events. Like WTF???

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    nquyen likes this.
    02-01-13 09:57 AM
    They're definitely stoked. There is no question that this is the best BlackBerry device ever. Toss aside any concerns about how this phone compares to others, it doesn't matter to these folks. These guys and gals are BlackBerry fans, so why wouldn't they be excited with this new BlackBerry?
    02-01-13 10:17 AM
    Definitely disappointed. They barely have any video showing the phone functions. All the other sites have short videos showing off the software ans hardware.
    02-01-13 10:34 AM
69 123