I'd buy a QWERTY BB running Kit Kat on day one if they made it. Heck, they wouldn't even need to make new hardware. If they put Kit Kat on the Q10 I'd be happy.

There are no Android devices with a keyboard as good as BlackBerry's.

I would still use my full touch Nexus phone for a lot of thing, but having the BlackBerry as a secondary device for typing out long emails and messaging would be awesome. I've carried two smart phones for years now anyway.
    After KitKat I can no longer open e-mails with attached pictures on my Nexus 7 . Maybe Android is not as bug free as I thought.
    01-19-14 05:42 PM
    The Hub would never work on Android, nor would a bunch of other features. Android's old-school monolithic kernel has severe limitations. You may not realize it, but as BB10 users, we are early adopters of a disruptive technology. These are the first and only commercially available devices running in a true RTOS. As a guy with a lagged-up, crapped-out "top of the line" Android sitting in a drawer, I can say that I really appreciate what BlackBerry has done and am growing tired of Android fans posting nonsense here. Shoo!
    Well you just crushed a dream of mine. But i had no idea that bb10 was the only one running a RTOS, that's re-assuring!
    01-19-14 06:11 PM
    BlackBerry is a completely different ecosystem and experience that consuming are rejecting.

Current Android compatibility on BB10 was a
    Complete waste of time. BlackBerry spent the past 2 years and there is still no support for it, and existing Android user is still losing a lot and gaining very little.

Android manufacturers are pushing out 2 to 3 devices a year with cutting edge hardware. The software part is has been taken care of for the most part. BlackBerry has just spent years (runtime) on something that would be unnecessary if they would just use what is already available.

Defending BlackBerry by pointing out Samsung's failure is a poor excuse. Samsung is a hardware manufacturer. BlackBerry is supposed to be a software and services company. They can't do any better?

What BlackBerry users don't understand is Android is manufacturer agnostic. First it was HTC, then Moto, then HTC again, then Samsung. Android user can easily switch to another manufacturers devices. It's not as big of a deal as switching OS.

I feel that you are greatly exaggerating the resources required.
    Again blackberry already said they tested android and found that it just isn't as good from a business aspect especially security wise. They can only dedicate themselves to one platform. They'd struggle to keep an android OS phone going while catering to bb10 going forward. The 2 systems are just not that relevant in the path they take.

Also what kind of explanation is BlackBerry supposed to give as to why they are releasing an android phone? "We don't trust that QNX is a future solution "?

I'm not exaggerating the resources required. It's safe to say that majority of blackberry's dev are not android based. They'd need to hire. It's also safe to say they can't chug out a COMPLETE software in a year. Look how long it took bb10 to release and even after that it took an extra year(2013) the whole of 2013 to after release to add essential details to it. Ask the people that bought the initial z10 the difference between the software then and now!

It's just not feasible. Unlike say BBM, this is a whole software we are talking about. I agree they might have been able to pull it off 2-3 years ago but once they decided not to go that android route, it was over. It's simply not feasible business and image-wise to dedicate to 2 platforms. That's too much resource consumption.

Also like you said it was htc, moto, Samsung, what if the next was bb, then back to htc again... what happens to BlackBerry at that point?

Finally imo the market for android is so divy up that blackberry would struggle with an initial launch. The only way they could survive would be if they were 100% committed to it because it would take a long time to sway people from their current bb10, other androids and iPhone users.. and don't forget BlackBerry are still struggling with swaying LOTS of their loyal OS7 users. Obviously if those people wanted android experience they'd already jump ship. Those are the loyalists that blackberry will count on at the end of the day

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 06:14 PM
    not agree to be an android.
    Blackberry is Blackberry.
    01-19-14 07:13 PM
    Again blackberry already said they tested android and found that it just isn't as good from a business aspect especially security wise. They can only dedicate themselves to one platform. They'd struggle to keep an android OS phone going while catering to bb10 going forward. The 2 systems are just not that relevant in the path they take.

Also what kind of explanation is BlackBerry supposed to give as to why they are releasing an android phone? "We don't trust that QNX is a future solution "?

I'm not exaggerating the resources required. It's safe to say that majority of blackberry's dev are not android based. They'd need to hire. It's also safe to say they can't chug out a COMPLETE software in a year. Look how long it took bb10 to release and even after that it took an extra year(2013) the whole of 2013 to after release to add essential details to it. Ask the people that bought the initial z10 the difference between the software then and now!

It's just not feasible. Unlike say BBM, this is a whole software we are talking about. I agree they might have been able to pull it off 2-3 years ago but once they decided not to go that android route, it was over. It's simply not feasible business and image-wise to dedicate to 2 platforms. That's too much resource consumption.

Also like you said it was htc, moto, Samsung, what if the next was bb, then back to htc again... what happens to BlackBerry at that point?

Finally imo the market for android is so divy up that blackberry would struggle with an initial launch. The only way they could survive would be if they were 100% committed to it because it would take a long time to sway people from their current bb10, other androids and iPhone users.. and don't forget BlackBerry are still struggling with swaying LOTS of their loyal OS7 users. Obviously if those people wanted android experience they'd already jump ship. Those are the loyalists that blackberry will count on at the end of the day

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has spent two years on apk compatibility. Again a huge waist of resources considering that the only apps supported are the ones in their store. The same BlackBerry world that Android devs have already decided to pass on.

If BlackBerry is to survive it will need to be able to not only react but anticipate and respond. The current strategy is shortsighted. BlackBerry should not try to Compete with Android. Android and IOS are standards. BlackBerry should provide a truly unique platform for enterprise services delivered on all devices IOS, WINDOWS, Android. The software that they control is fully capable.

An Android is easy for everyone else but hard for BlackBerry. I get that. BB10s lack off software will be solved by Android app compatibility. But, BlackBerry focusing on enterprise is the strategy?

Hasn't that always been the strategy?

An Android device is something I would purchase. I buy high end Android regardless of the manufacturer. Seems like others agree. I have never suggested that they discontinue BB10. They should be able to do both.
    01-20-14 12:53 AM
    BlackBerry has spent two years on apk compatibility. Again a huge waist of resources considering that the only apps supported are the ones in their store. The same BlackBerry world that Android devs have already decided to pass on.

If BlackBerry is to survive it will need to be able to not only react but anticipate and respond. The current strategy is shortsighted. BlackBerry should not try to Compete with Android. Android and IOS are standards. BlackBerry should provide a truly unique platform for enterprise services delivered on all devices IOS, WINDOWS, Android. The software that they control is fully capable.

An Android is easy for everyone else but hard for BlackBerry. I get that. BB10s lack off software will be solved by Android app compatibility. But, BlackBerry focusing on enterprise is the strategy?

Hasn't that always been the strategy?

An Android device is something I would purchase. I buy high end Android regardless of the manufacturer. Seems like others agree. I have never suggested that they discontinue BB10. They should be able to do both.
    Be able to build high end android and bb10 at the same time? Wow a bit unrealistic considering their positions right now?

Also just because you buy android devices regardless of maker doesn't mean everyone else does. People can't even look at blackberry in a positive light. They get surprised that blackberry even has a full touchscreen phone when I introduce my z10...

Also what does this mean "bb10 lack of software will be supported by Android app compatibility" lol bb10 software is amazing and I don't see how apps support software directly

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 01:54 AM
156 ... 567