BlackBerry should focus on bringing BlackBerry OS 10 to a point where the smartphone and tablet can be docked when in the office or at home or at school providing large screen viewing, full-size keyboard, mouse, and assorted Bluetooth / USB peripherals. There is no need to enter the laptop/notebook market because it is slowly shrinking. My notebook computer is effectively my desktop computer with my BlackBerry PlayBook and formerly BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 as my portable office. The reduced functionality of BlackBerry Bridge with BlackBerry Z10 is ruining one of the best synergies between smartphone and tablet from any company. The BlackBerry Z10 and/or BlackBerry PlayBook should be the laptop/notebook computer of the twenty-first century.
    03-01-13 06:57 PM
    *sigh*

Why would they need to license it to MicroSoft?

First, if you look at basic applications (Word, Excel, Power Point) they are handle as phone apps right now. No need to have a Windows platform to run them.
    Really? The last time I checked Docs-to-Go is NOT equivalent to Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint. As much as I detest Microsoft Office please stop saying the BlackBerry implementation of Docs-to-Go is Microsoft Office running on a BlackBerry smartphone or tablet.
    03-01-13 07:04 PM
    I think I got this idea of BlackBerry actually going straight into the personal computer space with maybe a laptop form factor. I think that would be pretty cool, provided they can churn an operating system for laptops out of QNX. I really think it can be done.

Just sayin'.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    No. The PC market is shrinking. Even the big players like HP and Microsoft are diverting resources from PCs to tablets and smartphones. For Blackberry to try to start from zero in that market would be ludicrous.

But enough of such trivialities. Please promise me you will do your part to let the insipid meme, "just sayin" die.
    03-01-13 07:47 PM
    No. The PC market is shrinking. Even the big players like HP and Microsoft are diverting resources from PCs to tablets and smartphones. For Blackberry to try to start from zero in that market would be ludicrous.

But enough of such trivialities. Please promise me you will do your part to let the insipid meme, "just sayin" die.
    Lets look at all of BlackBerry's prominent competitors, they almost always have a PC counterpart...Microsoft, Apple, Samsung...if I was making a baseless conjecture, I would not even think BlackBerry needs any hand in that market.

But the smart money is for BlackBerry to follow suit, for when their mobile business fails or goes under...they will have a far greater portfolio to go far and beyond their sales targets. look at Nintendo and other suffering companies, they almost always have limited portfolios...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    03-02-13 12:08 AM
    Thorsten already said that he wanted to enter the Mobile Computing, not Personal Computing anymore.
    03-02-13 02:00 AM
    Lets look at all of BlackBerry's prominent competitors, they almost always have a PC counterpart...Microsoft, Apple, Samsung...if I was making a baseless conjecture, I would not even think BlackBerry needs any hand in that market.
    Microsoft and Apple have been in the PC market for a long time, and even Apple has had a hard time getting established. Samsung doesn't have a PC OS, and instead runs Windows. iirc Samsing is also a very minor player in the laptop market, and has no desktop computers.

Apple only has a decent amount of marketshare because it is established. RIM really doesn't have a chance in the PC market.

And I'm not even going to mention linux, which has no measurable market share.
    03-02-13 02:18 AM
    We had this same thread a couple weeks ago, and I'll just say it again: it would be a HUGE Mistake, diverting resources badly needed to the phones, into an area into which they would surely fail. BB10 isn't remotely ready to function as a true laptop, and the idea of them simply developing a new OS for a laptop....did...anyone...notice...how long/problematic it was to get BB10 out....and it still - in the opinion of some here - is a rough version. Plus of course, there's the app problem. IF one thinks it's difficult to get mobile apps written, one will be in real trouble trying to get major desktop apps!
    03-02-13 03:02 AM
    Everyone needs to let go of the old paradigm of what a PC is. BlackBerry doesn't have to do the heavy lifting itself. It only needs to convince the software developers to develop for the tablet and they can do it c/c++ if they want to make it cross platform capable

Most people online need the basic functionality of a computer, the benefit of Nuetrino is that you need more then you just connect items to it and it acts as if it is part of the original machine.

The reason Word is the standard is because Microsoft used monopoly practices to push out the competition. Getting out from under that thumb while allow for more competition.
    03-02-13 08:57 AM
    Everyone needs to let go of the old paradigm of what a PC is. BlackBerry doesn't have to do the heavy lifting itself. It only needs to convince the software developers to develop for the tablet and they can do it c/c++ if they want to make it cross platform capable

Most people online need the basic functionality of a computer, the benefit of Nuetrino is that you need more then you just connect items to it and it acts as if it is part of the original machine.

The reason Word is the standard is because Microsoft used monopoly practices to push out the competition. Getting out from under that thumb while allow for more competition.
    BlackBerry is having a hard enough time getting Devs to produce quality native code apps for the phone, never mind another branch for laptops etc. Most of the named apps of consequence are coming as Android ports. As another said in this thread this is a lot of hype but very little substance around QNX so far, lets gets some WOW applications for the phone natively coded for BlackBerry first and we can talk about a branch to laptops etc.

I do see a path here for BlackBerry that I had not seen before and it's not QNX based but HTML5 based. Looking at the Chromebook Pixel has opened my eyes a bit to a new channel. It's obvious that Google thinks there is something to be done through the browser and are trying to innovate in that channel. Most believe the Chromebooks are far from ready to replace a Windows or Mac, but it's a try at innovation and Google seems committed to it. Of course Google has the funds to commit to a project like this that BlackBerry never could, but I bet they are paying attention to where it goes. The new browser is promising, though from what I read (being in the States without an upgrade yet I don't have a BB10 phone) the browser is fast but still needs some work on smooth. If Chrome OS computing shows further promise, BlackBerry has the tools to be competitive in that space I would think.
    03-02-13 09:50 AM
    That probably wouldn't be a bad idea seeing that the last "2" times my wife and I downloaded BlackBerry Desk Top Manager it crashed our laptop!
    03-02-13 10:00 AM
    At some point BlackBerry should focus on a higher-end PlayBook instead of a laptop.
    I agree with you on that. They need to first get things in order with the Playbook and the Z10 instead of going for the laptop market.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 10:48 AM
    Blackberry Laptop powered by QNX available in 11", 13", and 15"
    'Nuff said
    03-02-13 11:58 AM
    Not today's market. Maybe someday...
    03-02-13 12:33 PM
    Blackberry Laptop powered by QNX available in 11", 13", and 15"
    'Nuff said
    Not exactly 'nuff said.

Who would buy it? What would it be used for? How is it any better than a Windows laptop or a standard tablet?
    randall2580 likes this.
    03-02-13 12:34 PM
    PC market is getting smaller everyday and to earn the kind of margins they would need to fund going into that market would be hard to do. I believe soon enough they will exit the hardware game and this is why we keep hearing about different OEMS (HTC, Samsung, Lenovo). As for the person that said Docs to go is not equivalent to Microsoft Office I agree but the WP8 version of office is pretty dumbed down as well.\ you could not run a fully featured document editing program anyway but maybe we will see a more feature full version of the application when BB10 comes to the playbook. Next for the people that said BlackBerry should license windows. That would not happen unless the device was dual booting BB10 and windows. W8 resemble WP8 and if Blackberry was selling W8 pcs and BB10 smartphones it would be a nightmare (how could you market it). Anyway just my opinion on a lot.
    03-02-13 11:35 PM
    No - I don't think so - being successful there needs much more then another half backing OS...
    Support your comment that BBRY has introduced a "Half baked Os"! It is new that is true, it has some maturing to do, but half baked is hugely inaccurate! This OS has massive potential!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 12:15 AM
    Support your comment that BBRY has introduced a "Half baked Os"! It is new that is true, it has some maturing to do, but half baked is hugely inaccurate! This OS has massive potential!

Posted via CB10
    I think he's referring to a desktop version. Linux (the third most popular desktop OS) has been around for a long time, and you can easily debate that it's still half baked. Anything BB comes out with would not be as nearly fully featured as Windows.
    03-03-13 12:27 AM
    I also believe Blackberry should develope another PlayBook/tablet. I would buy one! I rarely use my home laptops anymore. I truly believe laptops and home PC's are becoming obsolete. They aren't dying... they are fading away. If the PlayBook was able to print, I would put our laptops in my next yard sale!
    03-03-13 12:59 AM
    Ahh.. NO. Tablets and phones are devices they should remain focused on. Not jumping into a market where companies are in serious trouble!
    03-03-13 01:12 AM
    I think he's referring to a desktop version. Linux (the third most popular desktop OS) has been around for a long time, and you can easily debate that it's still half baked. Anything BB comes out with would not be as nearly fully featured as Windows.

QNX has been around before Linux and Windows.
    You seem to be making a point about the UI and not the OS, which you still don't get why QNX is much better than any Windows offering.
    03-03-13 07:42 AM
    They'll need to get on firm ground in the mobile phone space before stepping on new ground.
    03-03-13 09:53 AM
    QNX has been around before Linux and Windows.
    You seem to be making a point about the UI and not the OS, which you still don't get why QNX is much better than any Windows offering.
    I'm making a point about application support.
    03-03-13 01:00 PM
    I thought the whole point of BlackBerry 10 was "Mobile Computing"? Because people are starting to move away from laptops and are using their phones more and more.
    03-03-13 01:12 PM
    i don't know if people know this but they already have a desktop OS released its a bit dated so to say but QNX Neutrino is a QNX desktop OS, i don't think its been updated in a few years but its an existing OS open source none the less.

it could easily be built up to include better browsing and media players to make it more consumer freindly, the APIs are already tehre for them with the build of BB10.

will it happen any time soon is somethign else entirely but wouldn't be as dificult as some would think it so, they probably just won't have the funds push it to the consumer market to battle windows and mac os
    03-03-13 01:24 PM

the PC market is not really shrinking people just aren't buying HP and compact PCs anymore they are having them custom built as they can get whatever hardware they choose and they don't have to buy cheap stuff that they wi'll need to upgrade in a year, not tomention they can get whatever software they want and need and don't need to have HPs crapware software bogging down the system . it also comes out cheaper this way as there is more competition. the corperate secore is where IBM and Dell seem to be dominating as they build and supply all the PCs needed for Big Box stores like homedepot lowes and walmart.

whats gettign smaller is the Laptop market as now there are large amounts of tablets but even sayign this they still can't do everythign a laptop can do at the same price
    03-03-13 01:49 PM
59 123