I think I got this idea of BlackBerry actually going straight into the personal computer space with maybe a laptop form factor. I think that would be pretty cool, provided they can churn an operating system for laptops out of QNX. I really think it can be done.

Just sayin'.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    02-28-13 07:55 AM
    Yes, but not like you think.
    Instead of thinking of a desktop or laptop with all of the items that run it inside, Neutrino makes it possible to be modular.

So, you have your Neutrino enabled screen and a couple of BlueTooth inputs (keyboard, mouse) sitting on a desk. All you have to do is walk up with your BB10 controller device (phone or PlayBook), place it down (dock it) and you have a PC.

Let's say you are a graphics artist. Instead of only having your keyboard and mouse, you also have a Neutrino based drawing pad that has its brain power inside of it. So, when you add your BB10 controller, it uses the power of Neutrino to tap into the processing capabilities of the drawing pad to help you do your drawing.

Let's move it up a step and say you are a movie editor. You add your "video compiler" block to your desktop. You also add your Neutrino enabled video camera to the desktop. You can pull your videos, without having to download anything. Modify them using the app on your BB10 controller and use the extra power from the "video compiler" to put it all together and then save it to your cloud based drive to share to your friends.

You want a faster compiler for your videos, then just replace that. You want a larger screen, then just replace that. No need to replace your entire computer every couple of years to stay up with current capabilities.
    02-28-13 08:04 AM
    They tried with that sort of laptop thing (I can't remember what it was called) way before the PlayBook was ever released. Maybe they will try again...
    02-28-13 08:15 AM
    They are having enough trouble keeping their tablet and smartphone business afloat right now...let's get that fixed first before they move on to something else...
    02-28-13 08:26 AM
    No - I don't think so - being successful there needs much more then another half backing OS...
    03-01-13 04:40 AM
    Even if they dont there is room for someone.

Windows 8 is a disaster - Older people will have a hard time getting used to tiles. I know you can still use windows like old but it gives off a bad vibe. Personally I would probably be ok using Windows 8 id rather over a Mac but still think the whole tiles thing is kind of ugly. The only real issues I see are it needs a dvd player probably and something to make word documents and other things that microsoft office makes
    03-01-13 05:53 AM
    No - I don't think so - being successful there needs much more then another half backing OS...
    Did you mean to say, a half baked OS?

You really don't understand QNX Neutrino.
    03-01-13 07:12 AM
    Personally, I think tablets should stay tablets and personal computers should stay personal computers. If BB comes out with a laptop dock for BB10 (like the Atrix 4G) or something else, it would be nice, but trying to make a laptop OS out of BB10 wouldn't be a good idea to me. Windows 8 is what happens when tablets and personal computers mix, and I sure don't want anything running Windows 8.
    03-01-13 08:25 AM
    I think I got this idea of BlackBerry actually going straight into the personal computer space with maybe a laptop form factor. I think that would be pretty cool, provided they can churn an operating system for laptops out of QNX. I really think it can be done.

Just sayin'.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    They need to get into the smartphone business first before even thinking laptops etc.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    03-01-13 08:35 AM
    At some point BlackBerry should focus on a higher-end PlayBook instead of a laptop.
    03-01-13 08:43 AM
    Look this QNX stuff - Neutrino, microkernel, distributed processing, RTOS, "real multitasking" - sounds really cool. However the real-world applications of these are sorely lacking.

There isn't a single app in the Blackberry store that shows off these unique QNX features - (that I'm aware of, please correct me if wrong).
    Despite the hype about being a multitasking powerhouse, BBOS doesn't even support headless applications.
    And as for the promise of connecting to other devices, how about connecting to a USB thumbdrive? Z10 doesn't even have USB host at this time.

Even if it makes business sense for Blackberry to enter the personal computer laptop businesss (it doesn't), they're many years away from having a competitive offering.
    randall2580 and richardat like this.
    03-01-13 08:59 AM
    You hit it on the nail. I personally think Blackberry hasn't even come to grasping the true power of the QNX framework in its latest phone, the Z10. There hasn't been one single feature , besides maybe multitasking , that has made me sit up and take notice from an innovation standpoint. And I keep hearing stories of design flaws and some outright bugs plaguing BB10.

My take on this is that they haven't truly grasped QNX's strengths , but they would certainly do much more down the road if they do.
    03-01-13 09:17 AM
    Yes, but it probably won't be the best use of their resources at the moment. They will be up against a very well entrenched Windows and Mac OS. Remember that most people tend to run their PCs into the ground before they buy a new one, they're not replaced as often as smartphones or tablets, so it will take sometime to gain significant market share.
    03-01-13 09:24 AM
    I think BB will look more to dock options onto existing equipment (Monitors, keyboards ...etc). No way BB gets into lap tops, TH has publically said he wants you to replace them with BB10 devices

The idea behind BB10 is to free yourself from your lap top, and have to only carry around one device (your phone), or at worst additional tablet for a larger form factor to view while onthe go. Have DNLA, or HDMI to media equipment. Dock where you go, either phone or tablet. Your device should allow you capability to function as your laptop does.

Thats where we need to go. Laptops are a declining market.
    LoganSix likes this.
    03-01-13 09:27 AM

thank you for correcting me, I'm not a native speaker and so seams my autocorrection, too!
    03-01-13 09:48 AM

He really doesn't want Blackberry to go bankrupt pursuing something not tied to their core business...and where they'd likely bleed to death.
    03-01-13 09:48 AM
    The Neutrino stuff interests me. If everything would interact together, then it could make for a unique computer environment.

Right now, the cloud is the big thing, giving access to your files and data on all of your devices. In the corporate world, that is only as secure as your infrastructure. Anything stored outside of the corporation really isn't secure, especially if you are accessing it from many different devices.

I could see, one day, how having one device that can connect to different outputs could become the next step in technology. Your phone could have all your data on it, along with a secure layer for data (i.e. BlackBerry Balance). When you get to work, you dock your phone and have a full desktop experience. Head home and have a dock there, accessing work (if needed) or personal stuff away from the office. Possibly even something like the way Bridge connects the PlayBook to the phone, or even something like the ASUS PadPhone where the phone slips into the tablet for a larger screen. The main point being one device - one set of data - secure from cloud access - that goes with you anywhere. A teenager could have their own phone, docking it to the home "desktop" and do homework, without having to use the same data source that parents use for their own work.

People are becoming more and more dependent on their smartphone. How much more dependent would they be if that one device could be used as the hub for work, play, social, media, and so on, just by docking it wherever you are? QNX has the power and capability to do something like that. Wouldn't it be interesting if BlackBerry built onto that concept?
    03-01-13 10:03 AM
    Has no one noticed that laptop makers like Dell and HP are in big trouble due to flagging sales?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-01-13 10:11 AM
    I have been thinking about this as well. Obviously, BBRY needs to save its smartphone business first, but if that happens, they should look into building a computer...with Windows, mind you. A desktop QNX operating system will go absolutely nowhere. Windows is entrenched in enterprise because of legacy applications, and iPads have been deployed in more mobile situations because the developer community is there. Servers are increasingly running Linux as well. There is barely any room for new smartphone OSes because the catch up time to develop services and app ecosystems is too high. In the desktop market....forget about it. Mac OS can barely make a dent outside of education and creative industries, and Macs have a nearly equivalent software library as Windows these days, outside of games.

The reason I think a BB notebook running Windows could work is because OEMs are increasingly looking to build brands instead of churning out 10 models with barely any spec differences, and giving them names like HP Q10-17RNA (they stuff the entire SKU into the title, so stupid!). Stuff like the Surface Pro and Chromebook Pixel are easily identifiable due to their unique designs and integration with the manufacturers' software. Now the Chromebook Pixel is obviously a very niche product which few if any people will buy. But it's the shot across the bow for Google to Microsoft and traditional Wintel OEMs. It's too risky for BB to try something like that, so I would say go with Windows for now.

The design of the Z10 is absolutely stunning. If they could build a Windows laptop with that much attention to hardware detail, they could do well. Don't forget that OEMs like Acer and HP are notorious for terrible customer service, something that is important for a product that's kept for 2-3 years. BB on the other hand isn't known for poor customer service, and as a vertically integrated OEM, has an Apple-type reputation for not being a faceless corporation. They could capitalize on this by offering an Apple-like approach to tech support: diagnose the problem over the phone, then send out a prepaid Fedex package so you can pack up and ship the malfunctioning product to them free of charge. Computer's back in five days, good as new. You never get that with Samsung, Acer and the like unless you buy one of their special 'business' warranties. I only buy Dell laptops because I can get next business day service for 3 years cheaply.
    03-01-13 10:19 AM
    I think it would be far simpler to licence the QNC kernel to microsoft, which then rebuilds Windows 8 on top of it. Metro applications are OS-agnostic enough that it'll work, and desktop apps can just run on a pseudo emulator like "7-mode"
    03-01-13 10:21 AM
    I think it would be far simpler to licence the QNC kernel to microsoft, which then rebuilds Windows 8 on top of it. Metro applications are OS-agnostic enough that it'll work, and desktop apps can just run on a pseudo emulator like "7-mode"
    *sigh*

Why would they need to license it to MicroSoft?

First, if you look at basic applications (Word, Excel, Power Point) they are handle as phone apps right now. No need to have a Windows platform to run them. The same goes for most general software. Where there comes a need for more is when there is a peripheral needed to run the software. If the software company made the a stand alone hardware/software solution, then Neutrino could connect to it and use that software and hardware as if it was inside of the Neutrino phone/tablet.

No need for an OS front end to run your software, the output is sent and handled by the controller, everything else could be handled in the hardware/software attachment.
    03-01-13 02:01 PM
    . Where there comes a need for more is when there is a peripheral needed to run the software. If the software company made the a stand alone hardware/software solution, then Neutrino could connect to it and use that software and hardware as if it was inside of the Neutrino phone/tablet.

No need for an OS front end to run your software, the output is sent and handled by the controller, everything else could be handled in the hardware/software attachment.
    I know there aren't any running examples right now, but I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on how this might play out as consumer features in the future? What peripherals did you have and mind?

But technology aside, here's the rub. Why would any manufacturer make a device/peripheral that only works with a small niche of the market? What possible technical advantage could negate this tremendous business disadvantage? Specially since standards-based solutions exist today which can cater to all smartphones?
    03-01-13 02:45 PM
    I don't see a laptop... But I do see a Playbook 2 with maybe larger screen and keyboard convertible case so you can use it as a tablet or with a physical keyboard attached (like the Surface).

The PC laptop space is dominated by Microsoft and needs to have the big software and legacy support of Windows. There is no way, as much as I love Blackberry, that I would want them entering this mine-field of low proft margins and little purpose or need. Just not a smart move.

Apple's MacOS laptops are a smaller but significant player, and of course all variations of Linux for mostly the adventurous more technically-minded folk.

ChromeBooks are basically dumbed down web-browsing netbooks and have no capability of running much locally, depending on Google cloud based apps for everything.

Unless you plan on a Blackberry cloud-based app solution, I see no reason to invest the effort into it. There still needs to be major app support for Office-like suites, movie editors, photo utilities, and everything else.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-01-13 03:06 PM
    *sigh*

Why would they need to license it to MicroSoft?

First, if you look at basic applications (Word, Excel, Power Point) they are handle as phone apps right now. No need to have a Windows platform to run them. The same goes for most general software. Where there comes a need for more is when there is a peripheral needed to run the software. If the software company made the a stand alone hardware/software solution, then Neutrino could connect to it and use that software and hardware as if it was inside of the Neutrino phone/tablet.

Microsoft basically owns the desktop market. Not officially, but pretty much everyone expects a computer to run like a Windows computer, and to run their familiar Windows applications. the definition of a computer is basically set in stone, and that is that it runs Windows. If you're going to bring a new OS, your only hope is to completely redefine what a computer is, and that means a tablet. desktop computers will always be synonymous with Windows.

but you can improve Windows. Add a smaller, safer, and more reliable core. But keep compatibility with current apps, but with a layer of separation between the apps and kernel.
    03-01-13 05:41 PM
    I'd rather see them stay in and grow the tablet and phone markets. Laptops would be a stretch for their current position, and likely wouldn't yield worthwhile results. For it to be worth it, it would need to hit BIG. There's no real motivation if it sells Chromebook numbers.
    03-01-13 06:05 PM
59 123