View Poll Results: Do you like the icons?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 33.33%
  • No

36 66.67%

From the 5:50 minute

Those people from The Verge dont like the BB10 at all. They r saying it copied Android with Blackberry Hub. Iphone with the menu grid. and the look of windows phone. They also said the UI is ugly, like the icons and stuff.

So what do you think? I think they are just trying to bash RIM and made it look bad.

Oh and who made the Facebook app? RIM or Facebook.
    10-15-12 07:49 AM
    Pretty sure rim made the facebook app. I can see why some would compare it to other OSs though. I think most people hear think the icons are ugly.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-15-12 08:18 AM
    I agree on a couple things.

1. icons are ugly
    2. swipe gestures are too complicated for most consumers, depends what target market RIM is going after.

I disagree with
    1. blackberry balance being useless, I think it's a great idea and a feature a lot of people are looking for in the era of BYOD
    2. why do people say any phone with grid like icons are copying apple? doesn't BB have grid like icons before anyone? doesn't android have grid like icons
    10-15-12 08:35 AM
    RIM and Facebook co-made the Facebook APP on their behalf. They've a good relationship. The VERGE, is very very anti-RIM. Look at their 'BlackBerry' section it screams this. Their opinions therein are rather immature just like BB10. They can badges about a BETA build or they can respect that RIM has taken every paradigm of mobile use today and baked it into BB10. 'Cascades' really means this. A framework that is out of the box elegant because its roots are ingrained in the UI of all we've seen on mobile. This includes swipes, taps, hidden panels left, right and up, swipe down. The reality of BB10 is that it's a "smarter" OS. 'Flow' is multilayered I can't just show you 'Flow' it simply exists within the design of the OS. They've thought about what needs to connect where and made it happen seamlessly. iOS nor Android can tout this out of the box not even Windows 8. I don't want to have to download 20+ apps to MAKE my phone what I need it to be. Be sure we've still seen very little of what BB10 has to offer.

On the icons, I've said this in other threads. Bigger phone, bigger icons. 150x150 and the one handed ease of use principle for BB10 it just makes sense. They will be more polished on release, we are seeing tertiary structure with the BETA 3 build, it's not the final product, yet.
    epress man and anon(3896606) like this.
    10-15-12 08:43 AM
    I agree on a couple things.

1. icons are ugly
    2. swipe gestures are too complicated for most consumers, depends what target market RIM is going after.

I disagree with
    1. blackberry balance being useless, I think it's a great idea and a feature a lot of people are looking for in the era of BYOD
    2. why do people say any phone with grid like icons are copying apple? doesn't BB have grid like icons before anyone? doesn't android have grid like icons

grid icons have been around for decades, the iPhone did not invent them, maybe RIM should have thrown icons all over the screen and give it a scattered look, but then they will probably end up complaining that this is to much like windows desktop icons

another thing is the BB hub, BB always had an intedrated message center the hub just makes it simpler and easy to view the different notifications
    10-15-12 08:47 AM
    I don't mind the square icons... I just don't like the non-transparent app name underneath the icons.

I'd like to see how the icons look with the transparent app name to get a better thought on the square icons.
    10-15-12 08:54 AM
    Until it's actually in my hands, I couldn't care less about how the icons or UI looks. That can change at any time, and it could also look totally different in person. On the other hand, I'm not going to pick up a BB10 phone just to stare at the app screen all day.
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-15-12 09:28 AM
    I don't mind the square icons... I just don't like the non-transparent app name underneath the icons.

I'd like to see how the icons look with the transparent app name to get a better thought on the square icons.
    I agree. Uniform icon sizes are better for usability, but they could have a nicer implementation. UI polish is always one of the last steps, so I assume they're not finalized yet.
    10-15-12 09:35 AM
    Since this isn't the final software on the released device I think people should chill out! The software on these devices aren't finalized yet. Maybe RIM is going to change the look of the icons, maybe they will based on this type of feedback. I don't buy a phone/OS because of how the icons look, I buy it for what it can do. Everyone relax till Q1 please.
    jakie55 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    10-15-12 09:36 AM
    Say what u want but they made many valid points....and this is the same way many people on other platforms feel. How can they be excited for RIM that has no track record pushing limits. They haven't innovated in easily 4 or 5 years. Their products are still 5+ months away and the steadily miss deadlines. I believe the had plenty of valid points in this video. That said, I hope RIM can deliver the product everyone wants them too
    10-15-12 09:42 AM
    Since this isn't the final software on the released device I think people should chill out! The software on these devices aren't finalized yet. Maybe RIM is going to change the look of the icons, maybe they will based on this type of feedback. I don't buy a phone/OS because of how the icons look, I buy it for what it can do. Everyone relax till Q1 please.
    they won't relax it seems that everyone is looking for an excuse to chop on RIM.

it may not have been a good idea for RIM to put out a half baked version of BB10, but we know its essencial to developers for app buildign so its a toss up and has both good and bad effects. the good is developers can build their apps to have a naitive feel and work around the software used, the bad is peopel aren't logical and can not grasp the concept that it is only half baked and that the UI is no where near final nore are all the integrated naitve apps, such as the inbox, calender ect. they see it beign released and assume its the final thing when the only thing is the whole platform structure that is the final product, not the look and feel
    10-15-12 09:43 AM
    Personally I liked the icons, I see nothing wrong with them. I just hate the blue wallpaper rim uses, looks bad.
    10-15-12 11:00 AM
    I think they will update the icons being that rim is trying to wow people with BB10. So I would say yes they are ugly but they will improve the look of them.
    10-15-12 11:06 AM
    OK maybe they are a little not so pretty.... (Here Comes my FanBoy!)..but these 3 losers who sit there look at each other and cannot figure out how to tell time on their watches are giving bad evaluation to BB10? Who are these Public Broadcasting Dropouts with their Bu%# Sh*& apple laptops? Sorry boys if BlackBerry devices are a little above your head and you don't want twitter with your email O God Forbid!
    Allright let me give you 3 idiots some advice first all 3 of you need to move out of your parents house and thge two glasses wearing fools need to not buy the 3 frames for $99 special. The third needs to shave the 5 o'clock shadow works for Dr. House not you. You three have had you little on the phone chuckle with Doogie Housier now backoff RIM.
    Sorry FanBoy shows his ugly head sometimes.
    10-15-12 11:21 AM
    OK maybe they are a little not so pretty.... (Here Comes my FanBoy!)..but these 3 losers who sit there look at each other and cannot figure out how to tell time on their watches are giving bad evaluation to BB10? Who are these Public Broadcasting Dropouts with their Bu%# Sh*& apple laptops? Sorry boys if BlackBerry devices are a little above your head and you don't want twitter with your email O God Forbid!
    Allright let me give you 3 idiots some advice first all 3 of you need to move out of your parents house and thge two glasses wearing fools need to not buy the 3 frames for $99 special. The third needs to shave the 5 o'clock shadow works for Dr. House not you. You three have had you little on the phone chuckle with Doogie Housier now backoff RIM.
    lol I was thinking the same thing while watching that. I wonder if those hipsters smell like moth balls and if theyre drinking pabst?
    grover5 likes this.
    10-15-12 11:25 AM
    lol what
    10-15-12 11:31 AM
    Wow...you need to get some fresh air.
    10-15-12 11:44 AM
    RIM and Facebook co-made the Facebook APP on their behalf. They've a good relationship. The VERGE, is very very anti-RIM. Look at their 'BlackBerry' section it screams this. Their opinions therein are rather immature just like BB10. They can badges about a BETA build or they can respect that RIM has taken every paradigm of mobile use today and baked it into BB10. 'Cascades' really means this. A framework that is out of the box elegant because its roots are ingrained in the UI of all we've seen on mobile. This includes swipes, taps, hidden panels left, right and up, swipe down. The reality of BB10 is that it's a "smarter" OS. 'Flow' is multilayered I can't just show you 'Flow' it simply exists within the design of the OS. They've thought about what needs to connect where and made it happen seamlessly. iOS nor Android can tout this out of the box not even Windows 8. I don't want to have to download 20+ apps to MAKE my phone what I need it to be. Be sure we've still seen very little of what BB10 has to offer.

On the icons, I've said this in other threads. Bigger phone, bigger icons. 150x150 and the one handed ease of use principle for BB10 it just makes sense. They will be more polished on release, we are seeing tertiary structure with the BETA 3 build, it's not the final product, yet.
    I dunno the write up the verge did and deiter's thoughts on the verge mobile show were pretty positive. Now the main three memebers of the verge are android/ios fanboys.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-15-12 12:13 PM
    Your poll and topic title are different, FYI.
    10-15-12 12:43 PM
    Don't like them that much. Hopefully we see a more fleshed out version when it finally comes out. At the end of the day, it wont be a deal breaker imo (for me at least)
    10-15-12 01:11 PM
    Frankly, I could not care less what "they" think. "They" have no idea what the final product will look like or how it will function. "They" have absolutely no knowledge of BB10. All "they" have is conjecture.
    10-15-12 01:20 PM
    Frankly, I could not care less what "they" think. "They" have no idea what the final product will look like or how it will function. "They" have absolutely no knowledge of BB10. All "they" have is conjecture.
    I thought we were just voting on current screen shots?
    10-15-12 02:00 PM
    I find it kind of intriguing that there seems to be a small movement to spread FUD about BB10 when few have had much of any exposure to it.

1) The gestures will not put people off; they're easy and intuitive.
    2) While the app grid is fairly typical, yes, the ability to quickly move between pages is actually pretty slick (sliding your thumb back and forth near the bottom of the screen allows you to quickly move from the BB Hub on one end through your Active Frames page and multiple app drawer pages very quickly).
    3) The combination of Hub, Active Frames, and app drawer is unique. I'm a tiny bit envious of Windows Phone live tiles, but otherwise BB10 looks very solid to me.
    10-15-12 02:10 PM
    I haven't watched the video, and don't really care to, but for the topic of the icons - I hate them. I love the PB icons, but the icons shown on BB10 previews are distractingly ugly. I don't know how or why they were downgraded, but I don't like them. I see they are trying to make them look like little Active Frames in their style, but they aren't pulling it off. I prefer transparency in the icons, not opaque boxes that are merely filled in a solid color (such as black in the case of App World, for example). I realize the UI will still get tweaked in the coming months, but we shouldn't assume the design will change all that much. Icons may be tweaked but this is speaking to a certain design aesthetic that I simply don't like. Will I get over it? Yeah, but I don't want BB10 to be tarnished. So I'm hoping that these are merely placeholders, although I don't know why they wouldn't have just used PB icons for that.
    10-15-12 02:44 PM
    I find it kind of intriguing that there seems to be a small movement to spread FUD about BB10 when few have had much of any exposure to it.

1) The gestures will not put people off; they're easy and intuitive.
    2) While the app grid is fairly typical, yes, the ability to quickly move between pages is actually pretty slick (sliding your thumb back and forth near the bottom of the screen allows you to quickly move from the BB Hub on one end through your Active Frames page and multiple app drawer pages very quickly).
    3) The combination of Hub, Active Frames, and app drawer is unique. I'm a tiny bit envious of Windows Phone live tiles, but otherwise BB10 looks very solid to me.
    Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but it's still just an opinion. Nobody can say what the final product will be. Thor knows what he wants it to be, but nobody knows how it will turn out. We can only hope for the best, and if there's still time to make changes, then shouldn't we be happy that people are pointing out potential issues?
    10-15-12 02:58 PM
44 12