No doubt blackberrys are stand up phones, but is the reason you bought yours due to the fact celebs use it?
    Cos that's my reason!
    When I had my bold and saw pics of barack obama with the same phone as me, I felt like the bomb!!
    Do u feel special using a phone that the rich and famous use too??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 09:55 AM
    Nope, only reasons for my choice of bb is it being a solid phone with features that I use.
    05-16-09 10:19 AM
    I bought my BB because I wanted a phone that provided me immediate access to my email and a decent web browser. Celebrities have very little influence in my life.
    05-16-09 10:23 AM
    No doubt blackberrys are stand up phones, but is the reason you bought yours due to the fact celebs use it?
    Cos that's my reason!
    When I had my bold and saw pics of barack obama with the same phone as me, I felt like the bomb!!

I would argue that this type of mentality is contributing to the downfall of our society. Buying a phone because a celeb uses it is beyond absurd.
    05-16-09 10:28 AM
    No the reason i choose the bb is because of there great email service. I have 4 email account tied to my bb and its just there is really no other phone that compares.

Thats just ridiculous that you would get a phone because you saw that someone famous has it. Some celebs seem to be crazy people with money.
    05-16-09 10:48 AM
    When i seen Paris Hilton with a BB i ran to Verizon and bought one! Now I'm bedazzling it with ruby's.
    05-16-09 10:52 AM
    I like my blackberry because it helps me stay in touch with old friends.

If a celeb I happen to think is talented uses the same device, its cool I suppose but I didn't buy my blackberry because someone famous uses it too

05-16-09 10:54 AM
    I have my BlackBerry for the many features it has to offer. I love that I can instantly get my emails, Facebook notifications, amongst other things. I feel connected all the time, and I love it!
    05-16-09 10:57 AM
    Yah, I definitely got mine because I saw Paris Hilton with one!
    05-16-09 11:09 AM
    Absolutely not. I got my BlackBerry because it is a great phone. It has push email, the Internet, a full Qwerty keyboard, etc. I could care less if the most popular celebrity has one or not.
    05-16-09 11:11 AM
    I bought my BB because I wanted a phone that provided me immediate access to my email and a decent web browser. Celebrities have very little influence in my life.
    +1

I don't get the whole celebrity "daze" thing. Oh well..
    05-16-09 11:12 AM
    Of course not, celebrities have all types of phones, doesn't mean I should run out and buy them that's just BS!
    05-16-09 11:12 AM
    Welcome to advertising/marketing 101 - advertisers use celebs as spokespeople just because many people are so weak/impressionable that their life revolves around whatever some celeb tells them to do. How friggin sad is that. And in reality, I had my Bold first and celebs followed. So what's that tell you? Seriously, making a major purchase because of a celeb? Ugh

05-16-09 11:13 AM
    The main reason I use Blackberrys is to make and receive e-mail's where ever I am.
    I have 2 e-mail accounts on my Bold both used for business.

The other reason I use them is I like the full keyboard, I used to hate typing text's etc. On a normal phone keypad.
    I would not buy a phone or anything else just because a celeb has one.

Regards

Chris

05-16-09 11:13 AM
    To say that the appeal of Blackberrys is because celebrities use them is very narrow-minded. The appeal is that they work extremely well and are dependable as communicators.
    05-16-09 11:20 AM
    Cos that's my reason!

No it has the oppsite effect...I'm takeing my storm back for an old nokia candy bar. noone has those anymore.

and as soon as someone famous gets an AMD I'm going to Power PC.
    05-16-09 11:24 AM
    I got my BB, because I love BB's and their features are great.
    05-16-09 11:25 AM
    I thought everyone decided which phone to get based on what their favorite celebrity has.
    05-16-09 11:26 AM
    I could be wrong but I think the OP's comment was sarcastic.

On another point, I think nearly none of us have a BB because a celebrity has it; however, I think there is a very subtle, subconscious marketing attempt by phone makers to make their phones seem more like status symbols, and one easy way to do this is to have celebrities be seen with them. "I may not be able to live in Paris Hilton's house, but at least I have the same phone she (or Lance Armstrong) does!" In our marketing-crazed society, where we often value status more than substance, I'm sure this has some effect.
    05-16-09 11:30 AM
    This is the question...

do you think the appeal of blackberries is the fact that celebrities use it?

Let's stick to it.

My answer: Of course that plays a role. For me, no celeb would do that for me. Actually no one would. I buy things because I like them and in all actuality, when I see others with it, it lowers the exclusivity I felt I have.
    05-16-09 11:37 AM
    Of course that plays a role. ...
    When the President Elect is the celebrity in question, you bet it plays a role.

“they’re going to pry it out of my hands”...
    05-16-09 11:49 AM
    I got mine for having the ability to surf the web and email. Not cause of the celebrates. I do like that obama and Howard stern are BB user and I think it helps with good PR for BB. People who get phones cause celebrities are people who use iphones.

05-16-09 11:52 AM
    I'm not from US and I don't give a damn whether the US President uses it or not. I use the BB just because I need to access my email when I'm on the go.
    05-16-09 11:54 AM
    I'm going to answer this with a question.

Do you think celebrities dump their phones because the
    see so many non-celebrities using what they have?

Paris H: Hey Britney, you know what? I gotta ditch this Bold.
    Britney: Girl why? You love that phone.
    Paris H: I do, but today in the limo I saw a construction
    worker with one, 2 cops had Curves and two employees at
    Carls Jr had Bolds. If I knew "poor people" were buying these
    I'd have never got one.
    Britney: I hear ya, I'm throwing mine away as soon as we hang up.

They don't care what we use. I could not care less what a
    "celebrity" uses. I buy what works for me.
    05-16-09 12:27 PM
    The usage of BlackBerries by celebrities had no impact on me using a BlackBerry. I chose the BlackBerry for the many things that it could offer to me in a portable means over that of any other device. But when it comes to many people choosing a phone it is partly determined by what they see or hear others are using.

05-16-09 12:28 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD