cury... cause at this point thats all I really want. Yes the BlackBerry software on android seems a bit better than the stock crap google offers... but I bet their are enough 3rd party tools that you could survive without their software...

Of course id rather have a bb10 pbk phone with perfect android app compatability... but come on guys, none of that is happening. It seems like we wont even get another midtier pkb... im typing this long post on a priv that currently cant use LTE in nyc because it will crash the cell modem...
    But im ok, cause I got my pbk...

Ill take any decent android one in the future... but who would even make it? BlackBerry's failings have tainted the form so much... no one would touch it at this point...

Ugh
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    11-04-16 03:55 PM
    pkb are a thing of the past. face it. No one who wants to make money on a new phone is going to release a pkb phone. I certainly hope, for all the BB fans out there who are unwilling to face the future, that they produce one. But honestly, do YOU think they will??
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    11-04-16 04:16 PM
    11-04-16 04:30 PM
    I don't think they will.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 04:30 PM
    Nope, here in the US the PKB is dead and the touchscreen devices are now standard.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    11-04-16 04:49 PM
    DTEK 70 please

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    11-04-16 04:55 PM
    pkb are a thing of the past. face it. No one who wants to make money on a new phone is going to release a pkb phone. I certainly hope, for all the BB fans out there who are unwilling to face the future, that they produce one. But honestly, do YOU think they will??
    Physical keyboards are a thing of the past in the same way that vinyl records are. They are thing of the past, present, and future. Thinking that virtual keyboards will ever replace them completely is the same as thinking that landlines are a thing of the past now that the majority of people have cell phones. They still exist and as long as there is a market for them (which I believe there always will be), they will still be around.

If BlackBerry doesn't do it then I would be very surprised if someone didn't step up to try it. The issue would be that they would probably need to license it from BlackBerry because from what I can tell, BlackBerry somehow owns patents on any and every 'decent' physical keyboard for a mobile device. The added cost of the license combined with the niche market that they are catering to makes it a risky venture.
    ominaxe likes this.
    11-04-16 04:57 PM
    Well, you guys could be very wrong. Samsung is releasing a flip phone with flagship specs. Okay, it's one of those numeric keypads and will only be released in china but it's a step towards a physical keyboard. Who knows, India or china might see a true pkb flip phone from samsung if this samsung phone does well.

Then again, I heard the retail price was over $2000 US, so it's rather pricey...

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-04-16 05:04 PM
    The market for vinyl:
    - Retirees who didn't get the memo
    - Obnoxious hipsters
    - Audiophiles (see obnoxious hipsters)

Physical keyboards have at most the first entry.
    11-04-16 05:07 PM
    The market for vinyl:
    - Obnoxious hipsters

you forgot to add wannabe dj
    11-04-16 05:39 PM
    I only came to BlackBerry a year ago after having an all touch phone for one year and just couldn't stop making errors in typing...
    The technology of the PP's and Priv's touchsensitive keyboard is a major invention which I hope doesn't get lost...
    I still hope BlackBerry can make enough gain out of their dtek's and will come up with a pkb dtek or so next year, by themselfs...

Posted via CB10
    Mirko935 likes this.
    11-05-16 03:10 AM

If BlackBerry doesn't do it then I would be very surprised if someone didn't step up to try it. The issue would be that they would probably need to license it from BlackBerry because from what I can tell, BlackBerry somehow owns patents on any and every 'decent' physical keyboard for a mobile device. The added cost of the license combined with the niche market that they are catering to makes it a risky venture.
    No they don't.
    11-05-16 04:11 AM
    A 5g phone is what BlackBerry should look forward to.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-16 05:54 AM
    I wonder how much all of the "physical keyboards are a relic from the past" nay-sayers are looking forward to replacing their desktop and notebook keyboards with a slab of glass.

Will there be a physical keyboard phone again? Probably not, because typing accurately on a phone is being done software-side (swiping, autocorrect, word suggestions) and isn't a major concern for most users to begin with. So full screen devices are just the way to go now.

But I like to think that there are still some R&D departments working on ways to add tactile feedback to virtual keyboards, so we might eventually see a hybrid.

You know, like some of the device renders that we have seen here, where the physical keys are part of the screen.

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed ✓
    11-05-16 06:30 AM
    The market for vinyl:
    - Obnoxious hipsters

Well, I for one still love my vinyl and don't consider myself any of the above. In my opinion, the most 'hipster' thing I observe is people "obnoxiously" labeling others as hipsters. I for one, don't know or care what defines one as a 'hipster' otherwise.

I just prefer physical formats. I like to be able to have a physical 'thing' instead of paying for invisible 1's and 0's... the same reason why I still have movies on a shelf, carry cash in my wallet, prefer hardcopy tickets and boarding passes as opposed to digital copies, and prefer my data on my personal hard drives as opposed to some mysterious cloud service. I'm not suggesting that all of these things are prerequisites for someone who prefers a physical keyboard, but there are definitely still other people like me (even if we are a minority) and these formats will be around indefinitely because we know what we prefer and we will continue to support them.

So, again, I'm not suggesting that one format will defeat the other... just trying to show that the fact is there is a space for multiple formats to exist and this is not something that will change.
    11-05-16 07:02 AM
    you forgot to add wannabe dj
    Wannabe dj's use mp3's , "Real dj's do it with 12 inches" . Nevertheless , pkb has very little demand
    11-05-16 07:06 AM
    Not every company is aiming to own the market. If there's a niche to be filled someone will come along and try to fill it. A buck's a buck.

Posted via CB10
    Andrew Sheil likes this.
    11-05-16 07:15 AM
    Agree with you . PKB is dead. There are only handful of PKB users including me . BlackBerry VKB at one time reached its peak during Z30 days but instead of launching its successor BlackBerry went on to launch the Passport and we all know what happened.
    11-05-16 07:53 AM
    Agree with you . PKB is dead. There are only handful of PKB users including me . BlackBerry VKB at one time reached its peak during Z30 days but instead of launching its successor BlackBerry went on to launch the Passport and we all know what happened.
    ...they went on to release 4 other devices with VKBs?
    11-05-16 08:03 AM
    ...they went on to release 4 other devices with VKBs?
    ...and if by 'what happened' you mean they moved to focusing on Android instead of BB10 development, I would assert that this outcome had NOTHING to do with VKB vs PKB and everything to do with 3rd party app support and/or marketing.

They released pretty much every form factor possible for BB10. The exception being the Priv with its hybrid form or perhaps an all-touch phablet like if there would have been a Passport sized all-touch device. Though, I don't think anyone would argue that either of those would have made a difference other than further setting BlackBerry in the hole on their investment into BB10.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-05-16 08:09 AM
    I wonder how much all of the "physical keyboards are a relic from the past" nay-sayers are looking forward to replacing their desktop and notebook keyboards with a slab of glass.

Will there be a physical keyboard phone again? Probably not, because typing accurately on a phone is being done software-side (swiping, autocorrect, word suggestions) and isn't a major concern for most users to begin with. So full screen devices are just the way to go now.

But I like to think that there are still some R&D departments working on ways to add tactile feedback to virtual keyboards, so we might eventually see a hybrid.

You know, like some of the device renders that we have seen here, where the physical keys are part of the screen.

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed ✓
    This argument comes up nearly every time a pkb vs a vkb is discussed. You can't compare a notebook or desktop keyboard to a phone keyboard. I don't type on a pkb with it laying flat on a desk with two hands the same as I don't type on a notebook or desktop keyboard holding it in one or both hands. They aren't interchangeable and one doesn't equate to the other.
    11-05-16 09:51 AM
    pkb are a thing of the past. face it. No one who wants to make money on a new phone is going to release a pkb phone.
    I disagree here. I think it's BlackBerry phones that were a thing of the past, and for years the only people making decent PKB phones were BlackBerry. Every time I pull out my BB, people think it is something from 2006. Heck, I remember having a stylus on my Palm Pilot, and everyone gave up on that. Now it's the best feature ever (apparently).

I think there is a market for a dedicated PKB device, but it probably cannot be BlackBerry branded... samsung could pull it off though.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-16 09:53 AM
    I disagree here. I think it's BlackBerry phones that were a thing of the past, and for years the only people making decent PKB phones were BlackBerry. Every time I pull out my BB, people think it is something from 2006.
    That's because the PKB compromises the SCREEN, and the screen is the most important thing for many common phone uses.

Heck, I remember having a stylus on my Palm Pilot, and everyone gave up on that. Now it's the best feature ever (apparently).
    It's a feature on a single phone - the Samsung Note - and it's not one that a lot of Note buyers ever use (many buy because it's Samsung's flagship). But it does appeal to certain people in certain occupations that need to draw or write by hand.

The Note's stylus cannot even remotely be compared to the stylus used on the resistive Palm and WinMo screens, which were essentially used for typing and had virtually no drawing capabilities - totally different use-case and existed mostly because there was no way to do anything better at the time.

I think there is a market for a dedicated PKB device, but it probably cannot be BlackBerry branded... samsung could pull it off though.
    Samsung still makes PKB phones - on a couple of cheap, entry-level phones. Samsung has tons of market research data, and if they believed that a PKB mid-range or flagship phone would be profitable, they'd be making one. The fact that they don't should tell you something.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    11-05-16 10:44 AM

Samsung still makes PKB phones - on a couple of cheap, entry-level phones. Samsung has tons of market research data, and if they believed that a PKB mid-range or flagship phone would be profitable, they'd be making one. The fact that they don't should tell you something.
    Samsung make cheap entry level phones because that's the best what they can do with a pkb or instead attach a typo to galaxy or note[whatever device it was]. There's definitely a market for the pkb and no one and I repeat no one can ever make a pkb device like blackberry. As for mercury,bla1ze said it elsewhere- it's too good to be a blackberry. 4.5 inch screen with pkb, that's what classic n q10 should've been and they never could've lost this much of market share to all touch phones or iphone samsung. And if we talk about the past,if only they could've released device like classic instead of bold 9900 in 2010-11,,blackberry's hardware unit would still have been intact.

Keep Calm N Listen To Babbu Maan.
    11-05-16 12:46 PM
    The market for vinyl:
    - Obnoxious hipsters

A niche market that's profitable is still worth serving. For people who have to write and edit long, letter-perfect compositions on mobile, Blackberry's PKBs are still state-of-the art. Selecting, copying and pasting with keyboard shortcuts is simply more efficient and accurate with keyboard shortcuts.

I realize that long-form, written communication is mundane for many consumers in the 21st century, but, for a significant (if minority) market segment of highly educated professions who have to produce thousands (or tens of thousands) of words daily in emails and other documents while away from their desk , the core writing/editing functions are among the most important features on a mobile phone.

What remains to be seen is whether that really is a profitable market, but the fact that no PKB will be a runaway hit does not mean no one should make a good one.
    11-05-16 03:11 PM
67 123