I'm only in highschool.
    i'm planning to get a job so i can buy a blackberry.
    obviously, i don't have a credit card (although, i do have a debit).
    i think i'm going to pay for just the phone, which is pretty expensive,
    but i don't want to take the risk of missing a bill, or quitting the job on a 1-3 year contract.

the question is, do you need to have credit to purchase it?
    or will i be fine on a monthly?.. does it help if a parent comes with me? thanks. :)
    05-11-09 12:26 AM
    I'm only in highschool.
    i'm planning to get a job so i can buy a blackberry.
    obviously, i don't have a credit card (although, i do have a debit).
    i think i'm going to pay for just the phone, which is pretty expensive,
    but i don't want to take the risk of missing a bill, or quitting the job on a 1-3 year contract.

the question is, do you need to have credit to purchase it?
    or will i be fine on a monthly?.. does it help if a parent comes with me? thanks.
    You can buy the phone with a debit card. I dont know what provider you have in mind that offers month-to-month. Someone else can chime in here.
    05-11-09 12:30 AM
    You can buy the phone with a debit card. I dont know what provider you have in mind that offers month-to-month. Someone else can chime in here.
    I'm with rogers. their site does show a month-to-month plans. you just have to pay full price for the phone..
    05-11-09 12:35 AM
    In the States, you need credit to get a phone line with a cellphone carrier. The only thing you will be paying is the deposit. No credit? Carrier deposits can be between $150 to $700. Average to good credit, no deposit at all. Phones can be purchased without having to be on that carrier, but you will still be subject to credit checks in the future. Having your parents there could help if they can get passed the credit part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 12:43 AM
    If you've got spotty credit, you're better off with Sprint, Or T-Mobile.
    They'll usually ask for a LOT less as a deposit than ATT, VDUB
    05-11-09 12:46 AM
    Metro PCS....
    05-11-09 12:48 AM
    you could always just buy the phone out right and use it on a prepaid account, you'll be able to get the internet (most offer data plans nowdays) but you just won't get push email and some 3rd party apps that connect directly through blackberry's servers (like yahoo, aim, etc. standalone im apps) and you won't get BBM. most 3rd party apps work. and that way you won't miss a payment. all carriers will do a credit check on postpaid plans.
    05-11-09 12:52 AM
    To just buy the phone... No. But in order to sign on for a plan... Yes.

You may need your parents present with you if you are under 18; most phone companies will not offer contracts to minors.
    Last edited by kakakasiBB; 05-12-09 at 02:09 AM.
    05-11-09 04:06 AM
    Metropcs does not offer their own BB's you probably will be able to purchase the phone through your debit and you might be able to pay a monthly plan through your debit BUT you will have to put down a deposit if you have no credit. This deposit is returned in a year.

05-11-09 06:04 AM
    you can get a flexpay account with tmobile, no credit checks and you should be able to get a blackberry plan if you want. If they wont let you get a blackberry plan, at the very least you could get a data plan and a messaging plan.

youll have to pay full price for the phone though

edit: just reading again, not sure if this applies in canada
    05-11-09 06:27 AM
    Just check Craigslist or Ebay for a used Blackberry (or just cheaper) instead of paying the $600+ for the phone without a contract. This way, you can get a pre-paid sim card to use with it (just make sure the card matches the carrier that is branded to the phone, i.e. AT&T or Verizon, etc)

You will not have the same functionality that contract-customers have; no internet, probably limited texting capabilities as well..

My suggestion, either get a contract through a parent, or bite the bullet and put a deposit down if you have no credit.

Don't just get the phone because it's what all the cool kids have...
    05-11-09 10:05 AM
    Metropcs does not offer their own BB's you probably will be able to purchase the phone through your debit and you might be able to pay a monthly plan through your debit BUT you will have to put down a deposit if you have no credit. This deposit is returned in a year.

MetroPCS BlackBerry Curve

MPCS has had this phone for about 2-3 months now. longer.
    05-11-09 10:49 AM
    Wow....can't believe MetroPCS now has Blackberry. That's pretty good for them!
    05-11-09 11:23 AM
    Wow....can't believe MetroPCS now has Blackberry. That's pretty good for them!
    My son called and "told" me when Metro got them.....thats code for mom buy it for me!
    05-11-09 01:07 PM
    Verizon has month to month with no contract but it's full price for the phone.
    05-11-09 02:16 PM
    Read the thread guys. This dude is in Canada (Rogers).

Your question's pretty much been answered already. You can buy the phone at full price without contact with no credit, then get on a month-to-month plan with Rogers.
    05-11-09 02:21 PM
    Yes T mo has the flex plan with no credit check, all they do is ask for you debit card and automatically bill your card each month. So its almost like a postpaid plan.
    05-11-09 02:50 PM
    even with month to month im pretty sure you still have to be 18?
    and on month to month in rogers you will get the worst data plan ever.
    05-11-09 02:54 PM

Your question's pretty much been answered already. You can buy the phone at full price without contact with no credit, then get on a month-to-month plan with Rogers.
    LOL! Everybody feels they need to add something. As soon as the OP said Rogers, all comments should have been geared towards that instead of everything else that was said. He didn't ask about "In the States;" he didn't ask about other carriers....sometime there is a fine line between help and no help.
    05-11-09 02:55 PM
    I remember when I was starting to build up my credit I went to verizon to get my phone and contract and I had to put a 150$ deposit down...but i get it back in August plus interest! Not that big of a deal if you ask me, but if it would have been a 700$ deposit I would had stayed with MetroPCS.
    05-11-09 02:58 PM
    I remember when I was starting to build up my credit I went to verizon to get my phone and contract and I had to put a 150$ deposit down...but i get it back in August plus interest! Not that big of a deal if you ask me, but if it would have been a 700$ deposit I would had stayed with MetroPCS.
    $700 for Metro?! I didn't think they required a deposit.
    05-11-09 03:08 PM
    $700 for Metro?! I didn't think they required a deposit.
    HAHA No I was talking about if I would have needed to put some outragous dopsit like that with VZW then I would have stuck with metro! But mine was only 150 so I paid it and got my lovely BB!
    05-11-09 03:10 PM
    HAHA No I was talking about if I would have needed to put some outragous dopsit like that with VZW then I would have stuck with metro! But mine was only 150 so I paid it and got my lovely BB!
    Ok got'cha! The way Metro is popping up on every corner of my city, that large a deposit, they'd go out of business here in a week.
    05-11-09 03:20 PM
    you could always just buy the phone out right and use it on a prepaid account, you'll be able to get the internet (most offer data plans nowdays) but you just won't get push email and some 3rd party apps that connect directly through blackberry's servers (like yahoo, aim, etc. standalone im apps) and you won't get BBM. most 3rd party apps work. and that way you won't miss a payment. all carriers will do a credit check on postpaid plans.
    Yeah, that's why I don't want that. :S There is no point of getting a Blackberry if I can barely use it for what it's meant. Thanks though.

Just check Craigslist or Ebay for a used Blackberry (or just cheaper) instead of paying the $600+ for the phone without a contract. This way, you can get a pre-paid sim card to use with it (just make sure the card matches the carrier that is branded to the phone, i.e. AT&T or Verizon, etc)

You will not have the same functionality that contract-customers have; no internet, probably limited texting capabilities as well..

My suggestion, either get a contract through a parent, or bite the bullet and put a deposit down if you have no credit.

Don't just get the phone because it's what all the cool kids have...
    Lol, It's not because everyone else has them. (Actually, not many do.)
    I don't want a used one, I'm willing to pay full price. Again, I don't want pre-paid. It doesn't let you do what you're capable of on your BB.

See, now it gets confusing, because some people are saying I can, and others are saying if I have no credit, I can't. Will a deposit fix this? I'm willing to pay for that, the phone, and anything else..

even with month to month im pretty sure you still have to be 18?
    and on month to month in rogers you will get the worst data plan ever.
    Rogers data plans are actually really good.. Atleast, I think so.

LOL! Everybody feels they need to add something. As soon as the OP said Rogers, all comments should have been geared towards that instead of everything else that was said. He didn't ask about "In the States;" he didn't ask about other carriers....sometime there is a fine line between help and no help.
    Lmao, I know. Thanks. I tried to make it really clear in my question, but some people miss details, I guess. Thanks everyone, though. (:
    05-11-09 03:23 PM
    See, now it gets confusing, because some people are saying I can, and others are saying if I have no credit, I can't. Will a deposit fix this? I'm willing to pay for that, the phone, and anything else... (:

You can buy just the phone without having any credit. You also can get a service plan without having credit but you will have to pay a deposit upfront. I'm unsure whether you will need credit for a month-to-month service because I've never used one but you will most likely have to pay full price for the phone.
    Last edited by kakakasiBB; 05-12-09 at 02:23 AM.
    05-12-09 02:17 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD