I am thinking about keeping a copy of my latest ipd, DM and OS on the microSD card. Here is why: a few weeks ago I have been playing around with some settings on the phone that required a reboot. During the start-up process, the phone displayed a jvm error 545. Lucky for me I was a work at the time so I was able to download DM and OS to reload on the phone; this allowed me to have a phone to use. The unlucky part is that my ipd file was at home so I didn�t have my address book, tasks, calendar and such; the worst part was no BBM contacts (I had a very productive day at work after the OS reload ).

Having the files with me would allow me to get my phone up and running with minimal effort if it every fails again; I just need to locate a computer and not worry about Internet access.

The other alternative is not to make changes on the phone while not at home.

Do you keep a copy of your backed up ipd file, DM, and/or OS for your model on the phone�s microSD card?
    10-10-11 06:14 PM
    Yes, I always kept two recent backups on my SD card.
    10-10-11 06:16 PM
    the OS and DM no, but most PC`s are connected to a wifi source now so its prob not so big a deal.

as for the data, i backup once a month to pc, but never put that on my microsd, i do however have my BBM backed up to microsd and of course have BB Protect installed, so between the BBM backup and Protect, all id lose is my emails which would be on my server and said .ipd file when i got home anyways.
    10-10-11 06:21 PM
    I store those things in an encrypted volume inside my Dropbox. It�s a big relief to have them there when they are needed.
    10-10-11 08:40 PM
    Storing an encrypted and compressed backup file (.ipd) along with BlackBerry Desktop Software, compression/decompression software, and even a copy of the currently installed operating system on a microSD card works only if you have access to a computer and an adapter to allow the microSD card to be seen as a thumb drive. An alternative configuration with a bootable partition containing a striped down version of Microsoft Windows and BlackBerry Desktop Software, and a data partition containing the encrypted and compressed backup file (.ipd) along with BlackBerry Desktop Software, compression/decompression software, and even a copy of the currently installed operating system would permit you to boot a computer from the microSD card in an adapter and restore the smartphone. Is there a bootable version of Microsoft Windows which fits in say 5GB or less of disk space? How To Create Bootable Flash Drive
    Last edited by BB9700CA; 10-10-11 at 09:01 PM.
    10-10-11 08:55 PM
    Using BlackBerry Protect would have solved the problem you had. Of course it doesn't back up your e-mail, but it does everything else you had problems with.
    10-10-11 09:12 PM
    Using BlackBerry Protect would have solved the problem you had. Of course it doesn't back up your e-mail, but it does everything else you had problems with.
    I have Protect but it has been setup to do backups; it only has location reporting. I don't feel comfortable having my backups in the cloud (RIM's servers).
    10-12-11 07:23 PM
    BB protect, I also make regular backups, which I e-mail to myself in a BB Backup folder.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD