I purchased a 8820..still waiting for it to arrive.
    My question is do you need a data plan to use the GPS?

Also does blackberry Tracker require a DATA Plan?
    04-24-08 05:02 PM
    You shouldn't need a data plan to use the GPS. Some providers (and I don't know about Rogers) disable the GPS unless you use their service.

Many of the GPS applications communicate to a server to get maps, do routing, etc. If you're going to use those apps or those features of those apps, then you would need/use your data plan.
    04-24-08 09:03 PM
    Mine is a unlocked 8820 ( Rogers doesnt offer the 8820) I still havent received it yet. I am hoping the GPS will work without a data plan
    04-24-08 09:14 PM
    Is there a way to "unlock" the GPS on the Verizon 8130 Pearl?
    04-24-08 09:28 PM
    Is there a way to "unlock" the GPS on the Verizon 8130 Pearl?
    $10/mo for VZ Navigator or buy your own external bluetooth GPS "puck".
    04-24-08 09:34 PM
    My friend was telling me you do infact required a data plan for GPS. And with prices such as 45 dollars for 4MB. I guess the GPS will never be used
    04-24-08 10:04 PM
    With my phone.... I didn't wanted the GPS plan and for a while I wasn't able to use GPS until one day as I was farting around on my phone,l I was amazed that I was able to get GPS when I didn't even have the service! I wasn't being billed for it either. Maybe my phone service wanted to send me a present for joining up their service? who knows.

Did this happen to anyone else?
    04-25-08 12:05 AM
    lucky :O...well you don't need a GPS plan..just a Data Plan
    04-25-08 12:06 AM
    I do have the data plan. I have it just in case if something would have happen to my dsl, or since I live in Florida that we get pounded by a hurricane.

I went to my account I noticed that I have media net unlimited listed twice... maybe that is the reason? I'm not getting overly billed.
    04-25-08 12:13 AM
    well if your getting overbilled then consider your self lucky . I on the other hand will never get the chance to try our BlackBerry Tracker :'( at least until ROgers comes out with affordable data packaging
    04-25-08 12:15 AM
    Trekbuddy and one other program whose name escapes me, can use maps that you can download using a computer and store on an SD card and then use those maps with the gps. You do not need data on the phone. Of course, you have to plan in advance to grab maps on an area of interest.
    04-25-08 10:53 AM
    hhmm awesome thanks
    04-25-08 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD