Never used a BB before so be kind.

The Verizon reps keep trying to tell me that a BB HAS to have the data plan.
    Tell me this isn't true please.

I dont have any real need for the push email and I might check the internet rarely so I dont want to shell out an extra $30 a month for something I wont really use.

Why Do I want a BB then you ask????

Because I need a "smart phone" to organize things and I want a devise that I can install different apps to and it be stable...UNLIKE POCKET PC'S.

A little help/info please?
    06-13-08 06:27 PM
    If you want a BB with Verizon then yes. You must have a data plan. Either 29.99 (BIS) or 44.99 (BES). I am guessing you would be a BIS user since this obviously isn't for work.

There is no way around this with verizon. I believe they do have a cheaper BB data plan but it is a very very very small amount of Data allowed and when you go over (and you WILL go over) you are billed by the MB. If you don't want the BB if you have to have a plan and you don't like Pocket PC's then all I can say is .......................

Um..........

Dayplanners are cheap?

On the up side.........Once you get a taste of what the BB can offer you I think you will really like the capabilities that a data plan enabled BB has.
    06-13-08 06:48 PM
    Welcome.

Well, not sure what Verizon's policy is, but if you get a Blackberry, you don't want to be on Verizon anyway! They disable internal GPS, and cripple other things, so go with AT&T!

AT&T's policy is that if you want a BB and are getting it discounted for signing up with a 2-year contract, you MUST sign-up for the "Blackberry" (BIS) plan for a minimum of 3-months.

While, in theory, you could use a Blackberry as phone on a network without BIS, this would be a bit like buying a new airplane, but not wanting to buy fuel. One is basicly pointless without the other.

The very point of a Blackberry IS push email, and unlimited data for the many things you can do with it while mobile. You cannot "live life untethered" without it.

I dont have any real need for the push email and I might check the internet rarely so I dont want to shell out an extra $30 a month for something I wont really use.

Yeap, sounds to me like you shouldn't be getting a Blackberry at all.

Because I need a "smart phone" to organize things and I want a devise that I can install different apps to and it be stable...UNLIKE POCKET PC'S.
    Ah, I see. This makes some sense. Well the truth is then that you could purchase an UNLOCKED unit (full price), and then use it, but you'd again want to avoid Verizon and go with one with a sim card (like AT&T).

You'd then just use it like a phone with no data, but come on, AT&T's BIS plan is only $30. For another $99 (one time fee) you can get Garmin installed on it and now you have turn-by-turn GPS.

You are just missing out on the whole Blackberry experience without Internet. Right now you don't "need" the Internet, likely becasue you really have no concept of how useful it would be to you as you don't use it yet.
    06-13-08 06:50 PM
    If you want a BB with Verizon then yes. You must have a data plan. Either 29.99 (BIS) or 44.99 (BES). I am guessing you would be a BIS user since this obviously isn't for work.

There is no way around this with verizon. I believe they do have a cheaper BB data plan but it is a very very very small amount of Data allowed and when you go over (and you WILL go over) you are billed by the MB. If you don't want the BB if you have to have a plan and you don't like Pocket PC's then all I can say is .......................

Um..........

Dayplanners are cheap?

On the up side.........Once you get a taste of what the BB can offer you I think you will really like the capabilities that a data plan enabled BB has.
    Thanks for the response.....I wouldnt need the data plan though.
    06-13-08 06:51 PM
    Could not have said it better myself Patrick. Right on...
    06-13-08 07:10 PM
    With att I was only able to txt and use the phn for voice calls until I added the dataplan....at that time then the internet browsers showed up and I was able to use the internet, OTA downloads etc. Without the data plan on att my phn was just like any other phone w txt ability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 07:25 PM
    Welcome.

Well, not sure what Verizon's policy is, but if you get a Blackberry, you don't want to be on Verizon anyway! They disable internal GPS, and cripple other things, so go with AT&T!

AT&T's policy is that if you want a BB and are getting it discounted for signing up with a 2-year contract, you MUST sign-up for the "Blackberry" (BIS) plan for a minimum of 3-months.

While, in theory, you could use a Blackberry as phone on a network without BIS, this would be a bit like buying a new airplane, but not wanting to buy fuel. One is basicly pointless without the other.

The very point of a Blackberry IS push email, and unlimited data for the many things you can do with it while mobile. You cannot "live life untethered" without it.

Yeap, sounds to me like you shouldn't be getting a Blackberry at all.

Ah, I see. This makes some sense. Well the truth is then that you could purchase an UNLOCKED unit (full price), and then use it, but you'd again want to avoid Verizon and go with one with a sim card (like AT&T).

You'd then just use it like a phone with no data, but come on, AT&T's BIS plan is only $30. For another $99 (one time fee) you can get Garmin installed on it and now you have turn-by-turn GPS.

You are just missing out on the whole Blackberry experience without Internet. Right now you don't "need" the Internet, likely becasue you really have no concept of how useful it would be to you as you don't use it yet.
    Good info thanks for it.

I have verizon because they have really good coverage where i am, plus I am bound by contract for another 2 years.

I actually had a pocket pc(XV6700) before...but hated how buggy and unstable the windows platform is.

I had the internet on it and just never used it.
    06-13-08 07:31 PM
    You can have a BB w/o a data plan and still use some of the features using wifi. Also you can manually sync ouylook calander tasks memo and load applications using desktop manager. Having a data plan makes it easier.
    06-13-08 07:31 PM
    You can have a BB w/o a data plan and still use some of the features using wifi. Also you can manually sync ouylook calander tasks memo and load applications using desktop manager. Having a data plan makes it easier.
    No wifi on verizon's model I'm afraid....but I had wifi on my pocket pc but A...it was a battery killer.. and B...it was really finicky on connecting to networks.
    06-13-08 07:34 PM
    I did not have the data package at first when I got my first blackberry (my wife thought it was ridiculous), but I finally talked her into letting me add the data. Two months later my wife was saying how handy and useful it is.

06-13-08 07:46 PM

although you can install different apps on a blackberry using a computer, they may require the data plan to run. with a blackberry that has wifi, you can web browse without a data plan, but there arent alot of apps that run off wifi.
    Last edited by nastyboy2; 06-13-08 at 08:09 PM.
    06-13-08 08:05 PM
    I did not have the data package at first when I got my first blackberry (my wife thought it was ridiculous), but I finally talked her into letting me add the data. Two months later my wife was saying how handy and useful it is.

My wife was the same way. Until I got her an EnV and added mobile web to her account. Now she loves mobile internet. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I won an argument with my wife!!
    06-13-08 08:13 PM

Installing applications is considered data transfer too. No point is really getting a blackberry and not having data. Might as well get a pocket pc because it just sounds like you want a BB for flash. Pocket PCs can organize a calender and contacts just as well. Its just the other things that Pocket PCs do that suck. But since you are not interested in those things, then I don't see the point in having a BB. Hope you rethink.

Wherever you go, I think you will eventually get a data plan. I had T-Mo, Sprint and ATT and they all sucked big time. Stick with Verizon.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-13-08 at 08:54 PM.
    06-13-08 08:51 PM
    Unfortunately with Verizon, it's $30 more. Is this the same with all PDAs on Verizon, like a treo or PPC?

06-13-08 08:58 PM
    Verizon's service is phenominal, it may cost a lil' more but the network is great, fast data, great customer service, and coverage if you happen to go on a trip to the "country". Verizon seems to work where alot of other carriers don't i've noticed, espically in rural areas...
    06-13-08 09:01 PM
    I have an unlimited plan for $30. It's for email, internet, and BB Messenger.
    06-13-08 09:45 PM
    Installing applications is considered data transfer too. No point is really getting a blackberry and not having data. Might as well get a pocket pc because it just sounds like you want a BB for flash. Pocket PCs can organize a calender and contacts just as well. Its just the other things that Pocket PCs do that suck. But since you are not interested in those things, then I don't see the point in having a BB. Hope you rethink.

Wherever you go, I think you will eventually get a data plan. I had T-Mo, Sprint and ATT and they all sucked big time. Stick with Verizon.

"it just sounds like you want a BB for flash"

Not for flash...I have just heard rave reviews about the BB OS and how smartly designed they are.

I love Verizon's coverage too much to leave...I've had all of the major phone companies EXCEPT AT&T and Verizon is better by leaps and bounds.
    06-13-08 10:10 PM
    No data? I just can't even begin to think of the thought :0

06-13-08 10:19 PM
    Yes I posted that from...my blackberry! See how nice it would be for you to get endless info whenever wherever?

06-13-08 10:21 PM
    Can't really get around it on verizon. thats one of the things they get you with.
    06-13-08 10:25 PM
    Yeah but they cripple blackberries so nasty of them.
    06-13-08 10:25 PM
    Unfortunately with Verizon, it's $30 more. Is this the same with all PDAs on Verizon, like a treo or PPC?

Yes. The data plan for BB is 29.99 and they just lowered the data plan fro pda/win mobile devices to match the BB data price. Either way you go now you can get unlimited data for 29.99/month.
    06-13-08 11:02 PM
    You don't need a data plan with Sprint, but I would recommend getting one.
    06-13-08 11:58 PM
    My wife was the same way. Until I got her an EnV and added mobile web to her account. Now she loves mobile internet. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I won an argument with my wife!!
    haha. sorry this made me laugh.

on a more serious note;

I THINK You should just get the data plan and fully enjoy the whole BB experience. I was the same way, I didn't wanna get the data plan coz I really didn't need it but what's a Blackberry without a data plan? I'm able to enjoy everything my little sexy BB has to offer with a data plan and besides I think most 3rd party apps require data plans to download it.

so geeetttt it

good luck!
    06-14-08 03:36 AM
    I have to agree that Verizon has great coverage even though it ticks me off that the GPS is disabled because I would have an awesome all-in-one geocaching unit had the left it alone.

That being said, don't the newer, fancier (non BB or smartphone) phones have better calendar features now? Even my old RAZR had a calendar that I could make reasonably detailed entries into, if I remember correctly.
    06-14-08 03:51 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD