My impression with BlackBerry 10 thus far is it's a premium OS, much like iPhone: I can't imagine it on a cheap device, cheap enough to compete with Android devices. Even Q5 is still more expensive than cheap Android devices, because of the hardware specs I assume.

Android has cheap devices with low screen resolution and low hardware specs, just enough to run the OS, but obviously not enough to, say, run NOVA 3

Should BlackBerry have that kind of device? If all BlackBerry 10 devices have to be compatible with all BlackBerry 10 apps (especially games, methinks), they can only go so far with the price point

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-08-13 08:30 PM
    BlackBerry lite = 7.1

BB10, Z10
    07-08-13 08:35 PM
    Legacy devices need to die, period

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-08-13 08:36 PM
    I think they need to optimize the OS. Only so much they can do though since they have to almost run two OS's to support Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-08-13 at 09:00 PM.
    07-08-13 08:43 PM
    Legacy devices need to die, period

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    That would effectively kill BlackBerry right now, don't forget how big a chunk they make up for handset sales, and with this new BBOS device that will likely continue to some degree.
    07-08-13 08:45 PM
    My impression with BlackBerry 10 thus far is it's a premium OS, much like iPhone: I can't imagine it on a cheap device, cheap enough to compete with Android devices. Even Q5 is still more expensive than cheap Android devices, because of the hardware specs I assume.

Android has cheap devices with low screen resolution and low hardware specs, just enough to run the OS, but obviously not enough to, say, run NOVA 3

Should BlackBerry have that kind of device? If all BlackBerry 10 devices have to be compatible with all BlackBerry 10 apps (especially games, methinks), they can only go so far with the price point

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    The problem may not be the super cheap ones, (Nobody makes much money at that end anyway) but the fact that at similar price points, there are competitors with more robust feature sets.

Q5 vs Nokia 820 vs GS4 Mini (slightly more expensive) or GS3 (Older but similar price now)

Z10 vs Nokia 920 vs Sony Xperia Z (slightly more expensive) or HTC One X+ (Older)

Q10 vs HTC One vs Samsung GS4 Active (or bump price a bit for the standard GS4)

There's not a lot of value in taking the BB at any of those price points, unless you specifically need one for BES or a hardware keyboard, its a tough sell. The updated OS7 device at least meets the needs of the developing nations users on BIS only plans, (which is most likely to compete with the bargain basement Androids you mentioned ) but as soon as you cross over into standard data plan useage, the jig is up.
    07-08-13 09:05 PM
    The problem may not be the super cheap ones, (Nobody makes much money at that end anyway) but the fact that at similar price points, there are competitors with more robust feature sets.

Q5 vs Nokia 820 vs GS4 Mini (slightly more expensive) or GS3 (Older but similar price now)

Z10 vs Nokia 920 vs Sony Xperia Z (slightly more expensive) or HTC One X+ (Older)

Q10 vs HTC One vs Samsung GS4 Active (or bump price a bit for the standard GS4)

There's not a lot of value in taking the BB at any of those price points, unless you specifically need one for BES or a hardware keyboard, its a tough sell. The updated OS7 device at least meets the needs of the developing nations users on BIS only plans, (which is most likely to compete with the bargain basement Androids you mentioned ) but as soon as you cross over into standard data plan useage, the jig is up.
    I suppose there is truth in what you said.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-08-13 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD