All I am hearing is omg I am leaving blackberry....this must be a joke....blah blah blah...is this the only phone we are getting....

People clearly this is not a high end device its a mid to low end phone that blackberry needs to release for those people especially enterprises and customer who don't want to spend much on a phone or have a $0 to $50 contract phone. You have to cater to those people...we are not APPLE.

There is tons and I means tons of evidence that we will have a 16:9 1080 and/or 2k device (16:9)

The device simulator for screenshots and so on gives you the option to use one of these resolutions

1080x1920
    1440x2560
    1440x1440 (Being the Windermere/Passport)

Plus we have seen patent renewal for the visa/victoria.

Plus John Chen said we are going to lay out a roadmap of these devices for 2015 at MWC!!!!!!, Last time I checked a roadmap isn't one device LOL.

MWC is right around the corner all at this point is speculation.

We have to remember even though we want high end touchscreen or hybrid phones, they need to cater to mid range and low end as well especially in north america. Not everyone is willing to fork out 600 to 700 for a phone....but if they have a phone that's $300 or less brand new with that passport design metal frame 5inch and 720p display and so on it will be fine. People use your common sense CLEARLY this phone not an upgrade for current Z10/Z30 users.

Blackberry problem is not the devices but one thing

MARKETING!!!!!! That needs to be blackberry focus right now

No more Work wide crap...No more business only...no more this and that because the mass market does not care......we need exciting captivating trailer/teaser commercials to captivate the consumer. Let's be honest blackberry commercials are extremely and I mean extremely boring and they are easily forgotten
    You have to remember that this is CB and that it is far more entertaining to make up stuff than to follow a logical pattern of thought. I agree with you that there will be a high end all touch device. As you have pointed out, there are clear bits of evidence pointing in that direction.

Blackberries focus on getting out a value phone for Western markets is smart and well thought out from a business perspective. It is far easier to attract new customers with a 300 dollar phone than an 800 dollar phone. Business doesn't want to shell out big dollars and neither does the average consumer, particularly if there needs are straightforward. If BlackBerry can deliver a solid BB10 experience at a modest price, it will do well. No doubt I will buy them for my kids. If they break them, well so what. It's only 300 dollars; I can live with that.

I'm certain that a high end all touch phone is in the works. I suspect it will be released with a new software update that will once again bring new productivity to BB10 platform. First, there was HUB, next Blend and now???? It will be exciting to see what is next. These features are starting to really differentiate BlackBerry from the rest of the field. It is also blunts the old and tired App gap argument.

Yes, marketing is important but it is a tricky can of worms. BlackBerry needs to carefully reconstruct it's public image. I think this is already underway and the passport and classic have helped. Clearly they are solid phones that are appreciated by their core audiences and even BlackBerry bashers acknowledge their innovative nature and utility.

Do BlackBerry products appeal to a broader audience than business. Yes they do but they are not going to win that argument today.

Anyways thanks for your thoughts. Nice to read something intelligent for a change.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:24 AM
    I completely agree. Putting out a high end all touch at this point is almost pointless, IMO. They would have to sell it cheap for tiny profit margins to move a substantial amount because save for a few hundred thousand BlackBerry die hards, no one is paying top dollar for a BlackBerry these days. They need to first grow their market share and get enough people hooked on BB10 before they do that. And mid to low end is where they're going to do get that growth, mostly through enterprise.
    I agree…

A year or 2 ago one of the best selling Android phones (the best sellIng?) was the low/midrange MotoG.

The Rio/Leap makes sense to me if the price point is low enough, and its intended as a low cost, bulk corporate fleet phone to be marketed directly to BB's enterprise customers. This would allow them to put BB10 phones into the hands of a lot of users, bypassing the retail carrier distribution model. I can see the Rio/Leap having specs that are decent enough to give a good enough user experience that some business users may no longer see the need to spend $70 a month or so for a private iPhone or Android phone, and be satisfied using one of these as their sole device on the company plan.
    02-25-15 07:54 AM
    I'm waiting for the announcement at MWC - and hoping / expecting a Z30 replacement - there had better be one!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    02-25-15 08:36 AM
    With the release of the Classic and now the rumored specs for the Z20, it has become increasingly unclear to me whether Chen really sees a future in hardware or is just working to liquidate warehoused Snapdragon S4s (originally intended for Z10s) by any means necessary before leaving the hardware business.
    02-25-15 08:38 AM
    Full Ack. I don't see him even try to regain market share .
    02-25-15 08:50 AM
    Hopefully the specs are so wrong and there better
    02-25-15 09:07 AM
    Here here, well said

Z10
    02-25-15 09:13 AM
    I think if it is the Leap everyone is talking about its for corporate deployment. Execs get Passport/ Z30 and worker bee's get Leap/ Classic/ Q10
    02-25-15 09:16 AM
    I think if it is the Leap everyone is talking about its for corporate deployment. Execs get Passport/ Z30 and worker bee's get Leap/ Classic/ Q10
    Agree that the LEAP might make a good partner with the Classic for corporate deployment... and that by using basic components they can increase their margins which will help with the shrinking revenue stream. All necessary for a business in transition. Doesn't mean much to the "Touch" users that want to upgrade their aging Z10's.....

Now does BlackBerry have plans for a "flagship" all touch? Of course they do, the question is when and what will it be. Because BlackBerry has sacked devices before, and of late they haven't been all that quick to release a device... We have been talking about the upgraded Z3 for a long time. How long have we been waiting on the Classic and the Passport, almost a year now....
    Jimberry Storm likes this.
    02-25-15 09:56 AM
    I'm waiting for the announcement at MWC - and hoping / expecting a Z30 replacement - there had better be one!
    There is one...the BlackBerry Leap.
    02-25-15 10:55 AM
    There is one...the BlackBerry Leap.
    That's the Z3 junk upgrade not the Z30

Posted via CB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    02-25-15 11:23 AM
    That's the Z3 junk upgrade not the Z30
    With near identical specs to the Z30. Might as well call it the "Z31".
    BB_Junky likes this.
    02-25-15 11:26 AM
    The specs are a bit weaker than the Z30, isn't It?

Posted via CB10
    jaydee5799 and Blacklatino like this.
    02-25-15 11:54 AM
    The specs are a bit weaker than the Z30, isn't It?

Posted via CB10
    What ever it is, it's a sad they can't release a better version than what they've released already. Sure they had their fun with a classic, but why not do something that won't make them the ridicule of the modern age technology.
    At least give us something comparable with the Passport specs.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-25-15 12:03 PM
    What ever it is, it's a sad they can't release a better version than what they've released already. Sure they had their fun with a classic, but why not do something that won't make them the ridicule of the modern age technology.
    At least give us something comparable with the Passport specs.

Posted via CB10
    They just released the Passport. I'll give it some time before releasing another high end specs phone anytime soon. Plus, the BlackBerry Leap isn't target for majority of the ppl in here. Why they complaining lol

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 12:16 PM
    Same here I have ZERO and I mean ZERO interest in an all touch screen only device its boring and played out...the visa/victoria are the phones that I want. I want to stand apart from the crowd especially if the phone has that auto eject keyboard signal from the OS and touch sensitive keyboard no one else will have that!!!
    There are a lot of all-touch people who disagree with you. Therefore, without an upgrade to the Z30 looming on the horizon, it will be goodbye for many of the BB customers. We, the people who are willing to pay 500+ for an all-touch flagship device, not a Z3 increase, will be calling it quits. I don't see anything alarmist in that.

That is reality.
    02-25-15 12:25 PM
    With the release of the Classic and now the rumored specs for the Z20, it has become increasingly unclear to me whether Chen really sees a future in hardware or is just working to liquidate warehoused Snapdragon S4s (originally intended for Z10s) by any means necessary before leaving the hardware business.
    It is really starting to look like this is the case. Too bad. Chen never really gave HW a fair shot. To me, 'fair shot' = spec and price competitive phones with a decent marketing push in addition to now having a more mature and polished BB10. It's like Toyota trying to sell cars without wheels, complaining they are not selling well, and then shutting down the automotive division.
    02-25-15 12:27 PM
    There are a lot of all-touch people who disagree with you. Therefore, without an upgrade to the Z30 looming on the horizon, it will be goodbye for many of the BB customers. We, the people who are willing to pay 500+ for an all-touch flagship device, not a Z3 increase, will be calling it quits. I don't see anything alarmist in that.

That is reality.
    Agreed. I'll be moving to a Note 4 if BB doesn't get their act together.
    02-25-15 12:28 PM

That is reality.
    Jaydee talking tough! Yikes
    02-25-15 12:39 PM
    BlackBerry has a habit of recycling components or buying the same ones to keep the costs down. A 16:9 all touch with Passport specs should be conceivable.
    Blacklatino and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-25-15 12:41 PM

That is reality.
    I don't think BlackBerry sees anything alarmist in that either and are willing to let the 10000 or so of you go. If they make that phone for you all touch fans at this point, they are going to sell almost nothing (relatively speaking) and they're going to have to charge $800-$1000 for it in which case you're all going to ***** and complain about it being way too much money and what the heck is BlackBerry thinking by pricing this phone so high. It's lose/lose for them right now. That's just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong.
    chrisro likes this.
    02-25-15 12:43 PM
    BlackBerry has a habit of recycling components or buying the same ones to keep the costs down. A 16:9 all touch with Passport specs should be conceivable.
    Here is hoping they bought Passport specs in bulk... and don't also overcharge us for them for the next 3 years.
    02-25-15 01:15 PM
    They just released the Passport. I'll give it some time before releasing another high end specs phone anytime soon. Plus, the BlackBerry Leap isn't target for majority of the ppl in here. Why they complaining lol

Posted via CB10
    The complaining is because the majority of people here want an upgrade for the all touch devices they have been using for two years. Now I will agree that the Z30 is an upgrade from the Z10... but it's still almost 18 months since it's release. So there are a number of people that desperatly want BlackBerry to provide a "flagship" all touch. Then there are others that plan to leave anyway and are just pointing out why....
    02-25-15 01:52 PM
    It's closer to the Z10 than the Z30. With exception of battery and screen

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 02:27 PM
    Price compare against the updated Moto E:

Motorola's budget Moto E gets LTE, a quad-core CPU, and more storage

which now includes LTE. The Moto E is expected to cost $149.

So Leap/Rio for $199 feasible, for larger display, more resolution, more memory (plus expandable), better cameras, larger battery than the E?
    02-25-15 03:04 PM
159 1234 ...