I am really curious about this whole BYOD.
    Why would an employee want to spend his/her own money to buy a device, bring it to work and have the IT department put all these security policies on it and allow it to be monitor by IT?
    Or
    Is the employee only want to bring their devices in so that they can connect to the network without the employer having any say as to what/how they are using the device?

The company I worked for is a BB shop up until about 2 years ago when IPhone was supported as well. Due to cost, the IPhones were only available to senior managers. The employees were unofficailly bringing in their own devices and also using the work issued BB. Now that the IPhone 4s is free, those employees switched over to the iphone. The strange thing is they are still carrying around 2 phones (both iphones) and they still want their personal iphone connected to the network.

It would be very interesting over the next 6 months to see if BB Balance will have any impact on this multi cell phone culture.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-18-13 08:09 PM
    Very good question...
    03-18-13 08:14 PM
    Personally, I do not want BYOD. I think the company should provide me with a device they want me to use in order to do work, whether it's a land line or cell phone. Also, I'm the type who wants to separate work and personal stuff as much as possible.

BlackBerry Balance is a good start to separate work data and personal data, however you're still tied to one phone number. I'd rather have different phone numbers to better differentiate a work call and a personal call. Having a dual sim phone might be the solution here, but I haven't seen any phones in North America that have two sim card slots.

And another thing, with BYOD, if your phone dies, you'll probably be on the hook to get a new one. But that may vary depending on whether your company will pay the cost for a new one/repair.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 08:41 PM
    I hear a lot of people complain about having to carry 2 phones, but then they don't want to give up the phone #s they've had for years. So what is the solution? I would really like to know. Balance is a great feature but it doesn't fix that particular problem unfortunately
    03-18-13 08:50 PM
    Build your own device #plottwist #fokyeah
    03-18-13 08:57 PM
    I hear a lot of people complain about having to carry 2 phones, but then they don't want to give up the phone #s they've had for years. So what is the solution? I would really like to know. Balance is a great feature but it doesn't fix that particular problem unfortunately
    SIP or Google Voice like functionallity (having another phone number routed to your own) that most big name PBX makers support now. All your company has to do is route a number to your existing phone and you never habe to give out that personal number for business and if you leave the programming on the PBX is changed.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    03-18-13 08:58 PM
    I'd say it will require a sacrifice on either choice. If you want a company issued phone, you will be able to keep your personal # and work # separate, but two phones are in order.

Just like Snake785 mentioned, if you use Balance, which I agree is a fantastic feature, you're tied to one number..

Wouldn't it be great to have 2 sims, each working for their own sides of BB Balance?
    03-18-13 09:03 PM
    I don't mind carrying a work phone. I leave it in my desk where it belongs. After 5:30 I'm no longer obligated to do anything for the financial institution that employees me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    03-18-13 09:07 PM
    My company used to be byod until they went with company issued bbs in 2009. Since then I've been rocking two qwerty bbs every single day... and I HATE IT!

Now I'm rocking a corporate 9900 and my precious Z10. Once I pick up the q10, I will be banging on our IT dept's door to get them to switch back to byod so that I can take advantage of Balance.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 09:15 PM
    SIP or Google Voice like functionallity (having another phone number routed to your own) that most big name PBX makers support now. All your company has to do is route a number to your existing phone and you never habe to give out that personal number for business and if you leave the programming on the PBX is changed.
    I will pass that on, thank you. I know too many people that have a berry and an iphone for exactly that reason
    03-18-13 10:23 PM
    Employees typically get reimbursed for any BYOD spending. Most companies I am familiar with would give employees an initial phone hardware purchase budget, then allow them to expense their monthly plans within a reasonable limit.

It's a trade off really, your employer pays for your phone and plan, but your phone has security policies enforced.

Of course there are lot of companies that just use basic ActiveSync policies, but that's how data get compromised

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 01:35 AM
    I don't want it.

I want my work BB on BES separate from my personal phone. I want to turn off my work phone when I'm on vacation. It's their phone to give me to keep in touch with work and to perform work related tasks. My personal phone is mine to do what I want.
    03-19-13 03:52 AM
    I can see all of the arguments, but if a company wants me to have a phone, they will provide it, no way in **** will I let them screw with something I'm paying for so they can save money, I really dislike the idea,of them even having a chance to be able to peek into my privite life in anyway. Balance sounds great, but what can they see going on with the personal side, and even if you off work and using personal, can they still access BB protect just to track you. I know of company's that ask straight out for your account info and passwords to you personal social sites before they hire you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    03-19-13 04:04 AM
    So maybe employee just want to bring their toys to work but not necessarily want to use them for work.
    I wonder if employers are reacting to a demand for byod which isn't fully understood.
    03-19-13 11:33 PM
    I am really curious about this whole BYOD.
    Why would an employee want to spend his/her own money to buy a device, bring it to work and have the IT department put all these security policies on it and allow it to be monitor by IT?
    Or
    Is the employee only want to bring their devices in so that they can connect to the network without the employer having any say as to what/how they are using the device?

The company I worked for is a BB shop up until about 2 years ago when IPhone was supported as well. Due to cost, the IPhones were only available to senior managers. The employees were unofficailly bringing in their own devices and also using the work issued BB. Now that the IPhone 4s is free, those employees switched over to the iphone. The strange thing is they are still carrying around 2 phones (both iphones) and they still want their personal iphone connected to the network.

It would be very interesting over the next 6 months to see if BB Balance will have any impact on this multi cell phone culture.
    If BYOD is implemented properly, it isn't a security risk to the company or a privacy risk to the employee, but it helps if the company has implemented a proper MDM platform.

If a company deploys BES10, then users can have BB10, iOS or Android, and in each case the "work" area is in a sandbox separated from the rest of the phone. Management ONLY has control of this space, and it can be nuked any time without damage to the user's stuff. Conversely, the company can't see anything outside that sandbox, either, so the employee's privacy isn't compromised.
    03-19-13 11:48 PM
    So maybe employee just want to bring their toys to work but not necessarily want to use them for work.
    I wonder if employers are reacting to a demand for byod which isn't fully understood.
    Which toys go you mean? Something to play Angry Birds on? Yup, I'm sure the Z10 will be supported.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 03-20-13 at 05:10 AM.
    03-19-13 11:50 PM
    I carry 2 BB's, and thought the Z10 if I get that might be good to use for both just having them add my work email to it. After seeing the data usage some people are using I cant see adding my work to my personal phone. I think I will always have 2 phones. Some messages just can not be sent to a work phone
    03-20-13 11:29 AM
    No way. I want my device separate from company issued. I once worked for a very large software company most have heard of and used my personal cell for everything including business calls and email (Exchange). Unless you were a big shot way up the food chain the company did not issue cell phones nor pay cell bills. When I left the company they pretty much wiped all my email config, contacts, emails, etc (including personal ones which had nothing to do with my corp account) in the dead of night with no warning. I wasn't too happy as you may imagine.
    03-20-13 11:47 AM
    There are so many ways that BYOD programs can work that I don't think it's a yes or no answer. Personally, I like it. I started it at our firm after tiring of carrying two BBs. It was irritating and pocket-filling. Cancelling my personal line wouldn't save me much since I have my family on the plan. The amount of reimbursement pays for my data plan and a portion of the calling plan, but is still less than what they would pay had they issued me a phone. That way, it provides a benefit to both sides. Hardware is on me, but it would be anyway if I were to maintain two phones. Most of the people in our BYOD are in it for the same reason as I.
    03-20-13 07:43 PM
    I like to keep my work and personal device separate. Having a different on-device profile doesn't do it for me as my work actually requires me to frequently use my smartphone as a phone. There are times when I need to disconnect completely from work (like holidays) and having my own device allows me to do that, while still giving my friends and family a way to reach me. I don't need customers or sub-contractors calls me while I'm away. I just forward the 9900 to the office, shut it off, put it on my desk at home and don't worry about it until I'm back to work. Meanwhile, I know every call coming in on my Z10 is of a personal nature and I don't have to worry about screening it for potential work related calls.
    03-20-13 09:51 PM