I do not have insurance on my BB. Do I really need it? I was once told that if you file a claim for a new phone you only get a refurbished phone back and not a new one. Is this true?

I'm still kind of shocked at the extra monthly charges that I will have using a Blackberry. But if insurance is that important, I'll have to find out more about it. Better safe than sorry.
    09-15-08 09:14 PM
    It can't hurt. I have never carried insurance on any of my
    BB's as the cost of replacing them is less than the annualized
    cost of insurance. But you are right, better safe than sorry.

There is nothing wrong with a refurb. They always inspect the
    device thoroughly and replace the housing. If you had a new
    one next to a refurb, I'm willing to bet you could not tell
    which is which.
    09-15-08 09:17 PM
    Go with the insurance. No doubt. You never know when you may need it.
    09-15-08 09:57 PM
    as I have a couple spares I am not worried
    but if I really only had one bb I would very quickly get some insurance because one drop can finish the phone
    09-15-08 09:58 PM
    Everyone will have a different opinion on this topic, and they're all right only for ourselves. There are countless threads on this topic, just search for "insurance" and you bound to get a least 100 threads.

My opinion: Don't waste your money on the racket called "insurance"--just take care of your stuff, and put some money aside in case of emergency.
    09-15-08 10:04 PM
    Hi Jane! If you can, get the insurance. As the others stated, one drop, water, or ketchup can end a BB. I believe a refurb would be better than being w/out or having to cont. to pay for a plan w/o your Berry.
    09-15-08 10:07 PM
    Hi Jane! If you can, get the insurance. As the others stated, one drop, water, or ketchup can end a BB. I believe a refurb would be better than being w/out or having to cont. to pay for a plan w/o your Berry.
    lol @ ketchup! Someone's been reading the other threads going on right now!
    09-15-08 10:08 PM
    lol @ ketchup! Someone's been reading the other threads going on right now!
    I just loved the ketchup one! Couldn't help myself.
    09-15-08 10:17 PM
    In general I don't buy ext. warantees or optional insurance. i always felt that insurance is for something that you couldn't afford to pay yourself - like a half milion dollar auto accident or $100K hospital stay.

THAT SAID....

I use to think that $60 a year was stupid, after 8 years I'd have $480.

BUT, $480 would barely buy a retail Curve or a new Storm, AND, I wouldn't miss the $4.99 a month, so i added the insurance last year.
    09-15-08 10:31 PM
    I am paying for insurance with Verizon just in case. But I'm going to order a Seido case tomorrow so I doubt anything serious will happen to my BB after it comes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 10:33 PM
    My berry is the first cell i've gotten insurance for, i'm generally pretty hard on my cells, but it's never been a big deal for me to replace. My job is the driving force behind my berry and I can no longer be without it and the info it holds.
    $5.99 a month, $50 deductible with vzw, it comes down to how valuable it is for your existence....
    09-15-08 11:47 PM
    yes it cost 170 dollars over a 2 year contract if you make a clame that last month vs the cost if you were to buy it at retail which is more than $400 its worth it
    09-16-08 01:29 AM
    Thanks for the advice. It's definitely something to think about. One more question though....what exactly does insurance cover? Does it just cover breakage? If I drop it and crack the back battery cover, can I get a new one or does it only cover the device if it stops working?

I plan on calling Verizon later today, but I want to get details from people who have lived through it.
    09-16-08 07:33 AM
    Thanks for the advice. It's definitely something to think about. One more question though....what exactly does insurance cover? Does it just cover breakage? If I drop it and crack the back battery cover, can I get a new one or does it only cover the device if it stops working?

I plan on calling Verizon later today, but I want to get details from people who have lived through it.
    Your phone comes with a 1 year manufacturer for defects, but that doesn't cover
    self inflicted damage, like water, drops and stuff, or theft/losing it, that's where the insurance kicks in.
    09-16-08 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD