I was given a Blackberry by a family member that didn't want it. I've had the Treo for a number of years without a data plan (which I would never use) and now Verizon is telling me that with the Blackberry phones one MUST have a data plan; is this true??

Even though I like the Blackberry I'll be switching back to my Treo if this is the case.
    04-08-08 07:56 AM
    On VZW, this is true.
    04-08-08 07:59 AM
    Actually, this may not be entirely true. While you absolutely must activate the BlackBerry with some sort of data plan (according to the reps, the computer won't let them proceed without adding this feature), it is possible to wait 24 hours, call back and remove the data feature from your account. Then just remember to disable the data features on your 8703 or you'll be running up a nice bill! They usually will not give you an issue with this; I have done it in the past. Why not give it a shot? My information may be dated, someone else may know better...

Goodluck!
    04-08-08 08:32 AM
    My experience is that they won't allow you to remove the Data Plan from an account with a BB on it. Perhaps your experience will be different. So, yes, try it and see.
    04-08-08 08:34 AM
    Actually, this may not be entirely true. While you absolutely must activate the BlackBerry with some sort of data plan (according to the reps, the computer won't let them proceed without adding this feature), it is possible to wait 24 hours, call back and remove the data feature from your account. Then just remember to disable the data features on your 8703 or you'll be running up a nice bill! They usually will not give you an issue with this; I have done it in the past. Why not give it a shot? My information may be dated, someone else may know better...

Goodluck!
    Verizon is trying to disable the data, but how do I disable the data on the phone?
    Last edited by ARB; 04-08-08 at 09:14 AM.
    04-08-08 09:11 AM
    You can't, on a 8703, on OS 4.1, or you also lose telephone use. Options > Mobile Network.

I don't know if you upgrade the OS to a higher version or not.
    04-08-08 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";