I'm due for an upgrade with ATT and I'm looking at the bold 9700. I've always dealt with the ATT store as I've heard not to use the retailers. But now radio shack has the bold for free after signing a new contract, and its 200 after rebate with ATT. Is there a disadvantage to using the authorized retailers?
    03-05-10 04:48 PM
    You save money.
    03-05-10 05:03 PM
    You might find you don't get the same deal on the monthly contract payments, it may be higher cost or longer duration (or both). That's where they cover the cost of the phone. Calculate total cost of ownership over the life of your preferred contract to see where you get the best deal
    03-05-10 05:15 PM
    Also the return and exchange terms can be different. Some won't let you return only exchange in 30 days and once you do it 1 time and that is it.
    03-05-10 05:18 PM
    I purchased my 8900 from Wirefly for $7.00 with free shipping and no change to
    my service pricing.

The only thing I would suggest is to look at the details of how long you must
    maintain service. In my case it is 18 months from July 2009, but since I have
    absolutely no intention of switching carriers I'm good with that.
    03-05-10 05:46 PM
    I just upgraded from a 9000 to a 9700 at Radio Shack because it was $50. I had all kinds of problems with the contract, data plan and other things Radio Shack inadvertently messed up. Took about 2 weeks to get everything normal.
    Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 05:53 PM
    I always deal with Wirefly and it can be a problem. They always set you up with a different contract and it's a pain getting it straightened out, even if you tell them you are upgrading a phone. then, if they want (which they will) they can bind you to that phone for up to 18 months. rEgardless, you have to looka t the total cost of ownership. that's where the American cellular phone system is so screwed up. Phones are overpriced and contracts are so binding and just ridiculous. I just might buy used form now on. It's less hassle, especially is you go to Marketplace on CB.
    03-06-10 01:22 AM
    I upgraded with Wirefly last week. First time in dealing with them. I got a Storm2 for $19.99 vs. $300 that the verizon store was wanting. I kept my same family plan and everything. I had to renew for another 2 years, the same with Verizon. The whole process took a week from the time I first called to when I got my phone. I had to reconfirm all information about 3 or 4 different times. They try real hard to upsell you on everything so you have to hold your ground. I will deal with them again.
    05-09-10 09:43 AM
    We use both Radio Shack and Best Buy in preference to ATT branded stores. We have gotten a better deal almost every time and the service has been good. We will continue to use those retailers so long as we find the situation remains the same.

On the other hand we have been pleased over the years with ATT online or on the phone. I have bought phones that way, too. But nothing beats buying and leaving the store with phone in hand.

05-09-10 10:47 AM
    Be aware that buying through WireFly, Amazon.com, Radio Shack, etc. does place extra restrictions on you changing your mind and, in almost every instance, you're not allowed to change your plan for an extended period.

This shouldn't be any problem but READ THE FINE PRINT, OK?
    05-09-10 11:16 AM
    Yes, be careful, because if you make the mistake of getting a Verizon smartphone on wirefly, you better be certain that you want to keep that device after the 30 day mark. If not, yu could be paying up to $650 to switch. Ouch!

05-09-10 11:39 AM
    i had an upgrade thru radioshack... actually it was quite shady (my fault not radio shacks...) anyways... radioshack then ****** up my plan and i was getting unlimited minutes to Mexico instead of the unlimited internet for my old ppc6700... just make sure they set it up correctly with the carrier....
    05-09-10 11:58 AM
    I've bought through resellers and the plan is ALWAYS FUBAR but you should be able to get it straightened out by calling the carrier, NOT the reseller.

In my case, I found T-Mo had not provided the proper information to the reseller so there was no way it could have been right to start but T-Mo CS straightened it out easily when I called them. I was cautious enough to go to their website and check to make sure the plan was right, that's how I caught the mistake.
    05-09-10 12:03 PM
    It depends on the carrier also, for instance with US Cellular there is no difference in price or plans between and Agent location or a Corp store. Everything is the same including contracts and the like.
    05-09-10 01:49 PM
    I've had great luck with WalMart. I have ATT and have always found WalMart to be able to do my upgrades and their phones are so cheap! I got two 8310's for free! My advice: don't rush and shop around.

05-09-10 04:19 PM
    I've had great luck with WalMart. I have ATT and have always found WalMart to be able to do my upgrades and their phones are so cheap! I got two 8310's for free! My advice: don't rush and shop around.

AT&T has the best deals with third party retailers. Wirefly, amazon, letstalk, and walmart usually have BBs for AT&T for free.

05-09-10 09:01 PM
    i bought my 9700 from letstalk at great deal.the phone is awesome.no problems at all you just have to read the contract .
    05-10-10 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD