Ok, so here's my first post.

I've been lurking for about 2 months now, learning everything I can about BB's and the Bold specifically... of course that comes with some reading about the iPhone 3G as well.....

I made up my mind, I was buying the Bold. I like the iPhone and it will do 99% of the stuff I want and 100% of what I need. All I need is talk and text, email and internet are fun, but not needed, music and video is great since I never got around to buying an mp3 player of any kind.

I still lust after the Bold.

Then Rogers went and crushed my dreams... Now I'm trying to convince myself that the Bold is worth $250 more (with an 8GB card) than the iPhone 3G 8Gb....

So here are my options... I'm still under a rogers contract until Dec.

1) Hardware upgrade to the Bold, buy a card and the 6Gb data plan, and suck up all my available cash.. but get a killer phone that I will only use 60% of it's features.

2) Get the iPhone 3G, save some cash, still get the data plan, have a phone I like, that will do everything I need.

3) Get the Curve, possibly free if I talk real nice to the sales rep, add email and text to my current voice plan... have a great phone that I'm ok with and that will do everything I need.... save money for a Javelin (or 9220?)

I've spent hours pouring over data, reading websites, watching youtube, etc.... I dream about phones... guys at work are sick of me talking about phones... 2 buddies have the iPhone and tell me to get one, the wife has a Pearl and wouldn't trade it for anything even though all she does is talk and text...

Please, please, tell me why I should spend $250 more for the bold.... I want to, but the logical part of me can't find a reason to spend the extra cash....

Help me choose, between the Bold (I want), the iPhone (I like), and the Curve (I will learn to love).

Jayson.
    08-19-08 07:35 PM
    BTW.. more info on the Curve would be helpful as I haven't had chance to really compare it to the Bold....
    08-19-08 07:40 PM
    I would go with the Curve. you can get it for almost free it wont cost you a lot on the monthly bill and in 6 month to a year you can up grade and get the bold for free. this way you will have learned all the tricks on the curve with out spending alot of money
    08-19-08 07:41 PM
    Hey, Jayson. I was sitting next to you on the fence - iPhone or BB? Held a dozen smart phones, asked some questions, tried out the keyboards . . . and decided I wanted a Curve . . . but was kinda sorry it didn't have a few more features. Then I found Crackberry<dot>com and discovered that new devices were on the horizon and that what I really want is the Bold!

I'm waiting for the US/AT&T release of the Bold and the price announcement. If it turns out to be $200+ more than the iPhone, I decided I'd just go for the Curve. I think that KFREY is right on with that advice!

I love technology and "toys" - but all I really need is a phone and the ability to text. All the additional BB feature are (much anticipated and drooled-over) candy. [edit: I know a BB is a powerful tool, and I'm not knocking it's ability to leap tall buildings . . . but this purchase is for personal use, not high-power business use, so I may not need all the bells & whistles to effectively run my personal life.]

For quick comparisons of various BB devices, check out the official BlackBerry<dot>com site. You can do a side-by-side for various models by carrier - very useful for getting started. And I'm sure you can do a search here to find out a LOT more about the Curve (that's how I researched the Bold).

Best wishes as you seek out the best device for your needs (and wants). I remain Bold-less but hopeful . . . although I'd be perfectly happy with a shiny new Curve.
    Last edited by SparklyShiny; 08-19-08 at 08:28 PM. Reason: explaining "toys"!
    08-19-08 08:23 PM
    I walked into the Verizon store and the 8330 curve was reccomended by a store rep. I thought I would only use it for phone/ email for my business. I was wrong. I will get the next best device as soon as verizon offers it. If its the bold, so be it, if its the thunder, ill try it and see if I like touch screen with my sandpaper fingers. Just go with what's available now. If you've been lurking, you know that waiting for a device can be a very long wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 09:11 PM
    one thing i wanted to mention. the $30 for 6gb plan from rogers is PROMOTIONAL and ENDS aug 31st. a lot of people don't realize this.

so after aug 31st, this plan will no longer be available. a lot of people are saying rogers is suppose to come out with a couple new data plans but no word yet on the details. if u do get a data plan after aug31st, it will most likely be the $30 for 300mb, which by the way is more than enough for a blackberry. blackberries are VERY efficient in terms of data usage. currently with a curve i haven't even come close to using 100mb in a month. now i understand the bold has 3g and html browsing so that may increase data useage but i still think 300mb is enough. i will admit though. i have become accustom to the 6gb a month and kind of consider it the norm, but we'll just have to see what happens once the bold drops...which is aug21... aka thursday

ohh also,,, u guys are saying he can get the curve for almost free.. HAHAHAHAH. u guys must be americans. here in canada we get ROYALLY SCREWED when it comes to the mobile phone industry. the best price for the curve is 199 on 3 yr contract. if u buy it elsewhere(not from provider like rogers) u can get it for about 300-350 brand new in box. and this is the 8310 im talking about.

i say either get the curve or iphone right now. add the $30 for 6gb plan before it expires. then maybe in a few months the bold price will drop(especially seeing how Christmas will be here in a bit) and u can find it on ebay and stuff for cheaper and if u want, then u can get the bold at that time. there really isn't a need to rush to get the bold. if 3g is a must then get iphone 3g rather than curve until you can get bold. i love my curve 8320 and i will upgrade to the bold once i see it drop to a price i like. but like everything else in life, its about what you want, how much money you can spend, and what will satisfy your needs. and on that note...have fun with whatever device u decide to get
    Last edited by avmsam; 08-19-08 at 09:32 PM.
    08-19-08 09:23 PM
    Just spoke to a Rogers rep... I was quoted on a hardware upgrade (wife renewed our contract without telling me 6 months ago....) are you ready!!!!!!!

Curve $499
    iPhone $199/299
    Bold ~ tenative $299-349.. must call Thursday to confirm....

He told me that the Curve was so expensive because it currently does not require a data plan.

Sonds like if I pushed alittle I can get the iPhone or the Bold for the 3 year contract price... I'll call thursday and push some.. I've been a rogers customer for 10+ years.. I'll try for the Bold at $199 and see where it goes... no chance in **** they will give it to me for that price, but if I can talk them down to $299 would be sweet....
    08-19-08 10:59 PM
    oh and the 3G data plan is only available for the Bold or iPhone.. no adding it to a non 3G phone....
    08-19-08 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";