Ok, so I've been following the Bold, Thunder/Storm, and the Javelin/Niagra.

My question is this:

You have VZW and you want one of the new BBs when it comes out. Knowing that the Bold is not going on the VZW network, would you rather have a Thunder/Storm OR Javelin/Niagra? Why?

Switching from VZW to another carrier is not an option as the wife just made me redo the contract begging for me to get their wireless card for her laptop under my government discount, which just extended the contract for 2 years.

Right now, I have the 8830WE which would be going to her when the new one comes out.

Opinions? Reasons? Etc...
    09-02-08 01:30 PM
    Switching from VZW to another carrier is not an option as the wife just made me redo the contract begging for me to get their wireless card for her laptop under my government discount, which just extended the contract for 2 years.
    I haven't been following the other phones. I'm pretty happy with my 8330 Curve. But, just an FYI. When you signed up for your aircard, you signed a two year contract for that device. You did not extend your contract on your other phones, unless you upgraded a few of the other phone lines. If you're out of contract, that device or devices are free to go to another carrier if you like.
    09-02-08 06:11 PM
    From what I have read they both sound like great devices. I think it comes down to if you want a touch screen - then go with the Storm. If you prefer a keyboard then the Niagra would suit that need.

Either way, I think you would be happy with your purchase.
    09-02-08 06:25 PM
    Im in agreement here; it really boils down to which type of device you prefer. There is no phone that would make me switch carriers though. Price/coverage will always be the priority for me.
    09-02-08 06:30 PM
    From what I have read they both sound like great devices. I think it comes down to if you want a touch screen - then go with the Storm. If you prefer a keyboard then the Niagra would suit that need.

Either way, I think you would be happy with your purchase.
    Yeah, I know. I like the idea of a touch screen, but don't know. The pictures I saw of the Storm/ Thunder touch screen just looked like it'll take up 1/2 or more than that of the screen to type on. Which makes me weary because I wouldn't want a smaller screen (typing in the car or while riding the motorcycle is a pain)

I haven't been following the other phones. I'm pretty happy with my 8330 Curve. But, just an FYI. When you signed up for your aircard, you signed a two year contract for that device. You did not extend your contract on your other phones, unless you upgraded a few of the other phone lines. If you're out of contract, that device or devices are free to go to another carrier if you like.
    I forgot that it didn't extend the contract on the phone, which is up already (ended last month). But I'm hoping that the specs on the Niagra / Javelin are somewhat similar to the Bold and that VZW would come out with that because I like the full keyboard. But then again, the Thunder / Storm would be better due to the job taking me all over the world.

Im in agreement here; it really boils down to which type of device you prefer. There is no phone that would make me switch carriers though. Price/coverage will always be the priority for me.
    Well, see I saw that AT&T is offering something like the Curve / Javelin which will be World Ready and since I like a full keyboard, that'd be my ONLY reason for going there. BUT I can't stand AT&T cause they have HORRIBLE service out here where I live currently. My wife even switched from AT&T to VZW when she counted all the dropped / missed calls that she had on her phone just calling my VZW BB.
    09-02-08 08:26 PM
    You have VZW and you want one of the new BBs when it comes out. Knowing that the Bold is not going on the VZW network,
    You know, people keep saying this and I have to wonder if it's really true. Yes, I know that when the Bold comes out it will be exlusive to AT&T....for a while. But I find it hard to believe that the Bold will never come to Verizon or Sprint or anyone else. It's just going to take a while before RIM comes out with the CDMA version that Verizon needs.

Or am I completely off base here?
    09-03-08 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD