A bit confused here, I do not know the difference between the message types, what the different message types do or even which to use when I do send a message..
    Possible to get a link or some insight?
    Thanks!
    05-03-09 07:18 AM
    sms is a regular text message

mms is a multimedia message aka picture message

pin message is sent over the BB network directly to a device using its pin instead of a phone number. same as an sms or so.
    05-03-09 07:20 AM
    ^That should explain it all. I was confused for a while over the usage of "sms." I kept looking for the term "texts" and could never find it in the handbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 07:22 AM
    So everyone else's phone capable of receiving messages using SMS? If I have a photo to send I use MMS?
    Can you just use MMS all the time even with no attachment or do some phone not recognize that format..?
    05-03-09 07:27 AM
    Sms/mms are universal. All phones should 'understand' both.

05-03-09 07:35 AM
    So everyone else's phone capable of receiving messages using SMS? If I have a photo to send I use MMS?
    Can you just use MMS all the time even with no attachment or do some phone not recognize that format..?
    You can use "mms" for text as well, but I would only do that if it was a long message. Otherwise, I would just send a "sms" or text to the other person. As long as they have "sms" on their phone, you can send texts to that person.

05-03-09 07:37 AM
    Much clearer now.. Now how do I find my PIN?
    05-03-09 07:42 AM
    does a PIN message cost money or is it free to send PIN messanges?
    05-03-09 08:08 AM
    PIN messages would cost a tiny bit of data- if you have unlimited data, this is not a problem.
    You can find your PIN in Options -> Status.
    Hope it helps.

05-03-09 08:48 AM
    Much clearer now.. Now how do I find my PIN?
    It is under "status" or if you put "My Pin" in a text field it will come up as well.

05-03-09 09:46 AM

pin message is sent over the BB network directly to a device using its pin instead of a phone number. same as an sms or so.
    ^^^^^^This is correct.^^^^^^^^
    05-03-09 09:57 AM

Yup .... and you don't get charged for pin's. SMS and MMS are charged types unless you have them in your plan.
    05-03-09 09:59 AM
    I have tried replying to a MMS with only text and the receiver gets a jarboled up mess. I am on Verizon and she is AT&T.

05-03-09 10:06 AM
    I have the same problem^
    My sister is on at&t an when I reply to her mms she gets the same unreadable mess

05-03-09 10:33 AM
    i'm not sure but i imagine you can only send pins to people who have data since it runs on RIM's data systems. it's free (if you have unlimited data). i also believe you can have way more characters than a normal sms, so it's comparable to an email to other blackberries
    05-03-09 12:34 PM
    No data = no pins & BBM

05-03-09 12:36 PM
    SMS is like 150 characters max, MMS for more text,pics and vids. PIN in like BM it uses BIS. To receive an MMS your phone needs to be sent up for it. Some plans and some phones (older ones) don't support it.
    05-03-09 01:10 PM
    Yup .... and you don't get charged for pin's. SMS and MMS are charged types unless you have them in your plan.
    Same for PINs if you don't have a data plan... yes those folks still exist, lol
    05-03-09 01:38 PM
    Slowly I find the PIN's becoming useful. that is as I talk more and more peole into getting Blackberries. I should sell these for a living.
    05-03-09 01:55 PM
    I have a good friend who is on sprint & I am on verizon & whenever I've sent her an MMS she either gets a blank message or it just never goes through. I guess its a network-to-network incompatibility thing.
    05-03-09 06:22 PM
    Sprint has always had mms issues

05-03-09 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD