sorry for this stupid question, but i sort of have a general idea about the difference between ram, memory, and processor, but what effect do they each have, does ram and processor mean faster device? Can someone please explain them each please?
    07-07-09 09:09 PM
    A stupid question is one that's never asked!

The processor is the heart and brains of the BlackBerry, and pretty much any electronic device .. the faster it is, the smoother and more efficiently your 8900 will run. I believe it has a 512mhz processor if I'm not mistaken.

RAM, Read Access Memory, is where the OS is installed, and where apps, messages, and anything you store on the device will be. It's the "Device Memory". The more memory you have, the more space you will have for apps and personal content.

Memory .. well this can either be the RAM or the SDcard you have, more RAM doesn't necessarily mean a faster device, it simply means you have more room for apps. 8900s can run smoothly so long as they have at least 50mb of free memory.
    07-07-09 09:15 PM
    thats correct, the 8900 has 512 an the bold has 624 but for some odd reason when i used the 8900 to test it out, it seemed a lot faster and smoother than my bold.
    07-07-09 09:17 PM
    Processor speed is not the only thing to dictate the speed of the device, the processors are more then just clocks, I am pretty sure the 8900 and the Bold are different manufacturers, and possibly different instruction for the processors which could result in more work on less clocks
    07-07-09 09:19 PM
    thats correct, the 8900 has 512 an the bold has 624 but for some odd reason when i used the 8900 to test it out, it seemed a lot faster and smoother than my bold.
    My educated guess would probably because the Bold uses a 3G radio which probably sucks most of the potential processor power.. EDGE is less of a resource hog.
    07-07-09 09:20 PM
    Thanks so much. That clears up much of my confusion!
    07-07-09 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD