my dad is in an area where att is about to take over alltel and they are honoring ppls contract until its over and if they wannna stay they have to convert to att phone...my question is whats the difference in having a curve from att as opposed to getting one from alltel now bc he is able to get one now with his contract should he wait or should he stick with an alltel one
    09-25-09 01:18 PM
    Alltel is CDMA, and AT&T is GSM. Unless he has a world edition phone it won't work on AT&T's network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 01:46 PM
    Actually, isn't Alltel now under the Verizon umbrella?
    09-25-09 02:06 PM
    There are a few areas that alltel had that were GSM. Att picked up a few of thoes markets when the fcc required them to sell systems where existing ones overlaped.

09-25-09 02:24 PM
    There are a few areas that alltel had that were GSM. Att picked up a few of thoes markets when the fcc required them to sell systems where existing ones overlaped.
    Thanks for clearing that up
    09-25-09 02:28 PM
    im aware of that what i was asking is would it be better to have a curve from alltel or att bc if he gets it now he can still get an alltel one but if he waits he is going to have to get one from att i was asking whats the difference in their curves?
    09-25-09 02:36 PM
    It won't matter. They are the exact same phone with different
    names stamped on them.
    09-25-09 02:45 PM
    The Alltel 8330 will have GPS, although it may be need to be altered to work (if it is an 8330m - several posts on this). I think the 8310 also has GPS, while the 8320 will have wifi instead of GPS. Those will be the main differences. Other than that - pretty much the same phone.

09-25-09 03:10 PM
    Also, the 8330 has more on-board device memory.
    09-25-09 05:31 PM
    Also, the 8330 has more on-board device memory.
    The 8330 CDMA Curve has 1.5x more memory than the 8310/8320 Curve (96MB vs. 64MB).

The thing though, is even if your dad gets an Alltel 8330 now, it wouldn't work once his acct. changes over to AT&T. What am I missing here?
    09-25-09 07:37 PM
    my dad is in an area where att is about to take over alltel and they are honoring ppls contract until its over and if they wannna stay they have to convert to att phone...my question is whats the difference in having a curve from att as opposed to getting one from alltel now bc he is able to get one now with his contract should he wait or should he stick with an alltel one
    Sounds like you're outta luck
    09-25-09 11:33 PM
    I am a current Curve user on Alltel (CDMA) who will become a ATT (GSM) user in the next couple months. I know I will be getting a new phone from/for ATT, but I'm a little concerned about making it through the next couple months. My current Curve is starting to have issues - ringer quit a month ago, little roller ball needs replacing - I need to clean under it every few days, and now I can't get email, and email password appears corrupted, so I can't change/delete email settings.

I've tried to reset email settings (unsuccessfully), done multi soft resets, bat removal and still no email. So I could use some help with these issues.

However, I'm thinking about getting a quad-band unit that would work on Alltel now, and then at least be a backup unit, if not primary unit when we move to ATT (and GSM) in a couple three months. So my main question is, can I buy an Xberry today that will work with Alltel and then work with ATT in Feb/Mar when they convert?

thanks, Chuck
    12-02-10 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD