I just want to describe my situation with my BlackBerry phone, which most I guess already know; VS a Samsung Android phone I used for a couple of weeks.

1; and foremost: Distraction. On my Samsung I found myself totally distracted, unproductive and adding tirelessly new apps that I always end up removing later on. I mean there are some interesting applications we should always have but for the most I really REALLY feel my IQ, and productivity dropping by the second while using it.

I hope Blackberry does not stop BB10 because it is just a revelation of the basics; web browsing, productivity apps and good overall performance. I know it depends highly on what we do, and expect from our phones; but so far I am more than satisfied with what Blackberry's lack of applications is letting me do.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 09:54 AM
    have to see what happens. Many want bb10 development to continue so lets hope it does
    lift likes this.
    09-03-15 09:58 AM
    My dad switched back to a dumb phone.... he didn't like being distracted by all the stuff a smartphone can doe either.

(do you know how hard it is to get a dumb phone from Verizon these days?)
    lift likes this.
    09-03-15 10:34 AM
    I just want to describe my situation with my BlackBerry phone, which most I guess already know; VS a Samsung Android phone I used for a couple of weeks.

1; and foremost: Distraction. On my Samsung I found myself totally distracted, unproductive and adding tirelessly new apps that I always end up removing later on. I mean there are some interesting applications we should always have but for the most I really REALLY feel my IQ, and productivity dropping by the second while using it.

I hope Blackberry does not stop BB10 because it is just a revelation of the basics; web browsing, productivity apps and good overall performance. I know it depends highly on what we do, and expect from our phones; but so far I am more than satisfied with what Blackberry's lack of applications is letting me do.

Posted via CB10
    Somebody should make blinders for humans.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-03-15 04:13 PM
    There was a similar post a while ago and it makes me sad. I'm trying to see the ad campaign - BlackBerry- the phone that can't do much so you won't be tempted to try. Or BlackBerry - the really not very smart phone for the not very self disciplined.

The real issue though is that the op is right to a point. The problem of that BB is really limited in what it can do for most everything; business and personal compared to Android or iOS due to the lack of apps.
    09-03-15 06:33 PM
    I think "distraction" is what 99% of the mobile users are actually looking for!

Q10/10.3.2.2252
    amathtools likes this.
    09-03-15 06:43 PM
    There was a similar post a while ago and it makes me sad. I'm trying to see the ad campaign - BlackBerry- the phone that can't do much so you won't be tempted to try. Or BlackBerry - the really not very smart phone for the not very self disciplined.

The real issue though is that the op is right to a point. The problem of that BB is really limited in what it can do for most everything; business and personal compared to Android or iOS due to the lack of apps.
    Can you specify what exactly we are missing by going with BlackBerry?

We can install social apps such as Tinder, We chat, Facebook, and Twitter.
    We can also have media apps such as YouTube, and Dailymotion if we want.
    We can have most of the Android apps function on our BlackBerry 10 devices too.

I don't feel that I am missing anything by going with BlackBerry. And I do feel that BlackBerry can match other phone OSes in terms of functions.

Posted via CB10
    vanrickman, ev44, lift and 1 others like this.
    09-04-15 12:27 AM
    You can ask John Chen the question. He has recently admitted that he feels the app gap is a big part of the problem!

Q10/10.3.2.2252
    09-04-15 03:40 AM
    Technology should enhance our lives, not distract from it.

Sometimes, less is more.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 03:54 AM
    One of the major issue my friends whom I have turned on to Blackberry OS10 have is with that fact the social apps such as Facebook and Twitter are not updated in a timely manner and don't function like the Android and IOS versions do?

This is a serious issue because once folks start having these types of issues, they loose interest in the product. Forget about using the browser, the apps should work properly and Blackberry should keep them updated, period.

The problem we face is the bar has already been set by the big two and folks aren't going to tolerate any shortcomings and that's just the way it is. Just my two cents.
    Blacklatino and vanrickman like this.
    09-04-15 04:45 AM
    One of the major issue my friends whom I have turned on to Blackberry OS10 have is with that fact the social apps such as Facebook and Twitter are not updated in a timely manner and don't function like the Android and IOS versions do?

This is a serious issue because once folks start having these types of issues, they loose interest in the product. Forget about using the browser, the apps should work properly and Blackberry should keep them updated, period.

The problem we face is the bar has already been set by the big two and folks aren't going to tolerate any shortcomings and that's just the way it is. Just my two cents.
    I use Twitter on a daily basis to keep up with important postings in regards to my kids' school activities. My daughter has the LG G3 and I am more up to date with the posts than she is. I also use FB Messenger on a daily basis to keep up with overseas friends. Works flawlessly either on its own or via the app. So, I don't see what the issue is with these two apps.

As for other "fun" apps, we bought a Lenovo tablet for $78. All games etc are relegated to the tablet. My Amazon Prime Music app, Xfinity Home app, banking apps all work fine.

I would love a Google Play store on my BlackBerry as I think the Amazon app store is lacking. But I would like the OS10 to stay intact and true to its form.

Posted via Classic
    09-04-15 07:01 AM
    I use Twitter on a daily basis to keep up with important postings in regards to my kids' school activities. My daughter has the LG G3 and I am more up to date with the posts than she is. I also use FB Messenger on a daily basis to keep up with overseas friends. Works flawlessly either on its own or via the app. So, I don't see what the issue is with these two apps.

As for other "fun" apps, we bought a Lenovo tablet for $78. All games etc are relegated to the tablet. My Amazon Prime Music app, Xfinity Home app, banking apps all work fine.

I would love a Google Play store on my BlackBerry as I think the Amazon app store is lacking. But I would like the OS10 to stay intact and true to its form.

Posted via Classic
    Are you using the OS10 apps or the android ones? My OS10 Facebook app hasn't worked very good for a while now!!!
    09-04-15 07:04 AM
    Technology should enhance our lives, not distract from it.
    Define "enhancing our lives". If technology can make a device more fun, all the power to it!

Q10/10.3.2.2252
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-04-15 11:01 AM
    Are you using the OS10 apps or the android ones? My OS10 Facebook app hasn't worked very good for a while now!!!
    OS10. Wonder why urs is not working well. Anyway have an awesome wknd. Miss reading ur posts!

Posted via Classic
    09-04-15 12:13 PM

We can install social apps such as Tinder, We chat, Facebook, and Twitter.
    We can also have media apps such as YouTube, and Dailymotion if we want.
    We can have most of the Android apps function on our BlackBerry 10 devices too.

I don't feel that I am missing anything by going with BlackBerry. And I do feel that BlackBerry can match other phone OSes in terms of functions.

Posted via CB10
    Okay, first off, I only use apps in the BB store or Amazon Store. I'm not messing with trying things side loaded or whatever. So among those there are two types of app deficiency. One is that the app just isn't there. The section me is that there are apps that do about the same thing but in a way that os seriously deficient.

In the first category the first thing that comes to mind are apps for travel. I would argue that if you travel a lot BB is a non-starter. Each airline as well as Amtrak, various hotels and such have their own apps for iOS and Android but not BB. Being able to change flights and have to new boarding pass appear in the app or change seats from the app is really valuable. Also things like apps to track your incoming aircraft (to estimate delays) or which seats are best on your flight are not available on BB.

Then there are the literally hundreds of apps to find out which subway or bus to take or call a cab or other things needed in a new city. Also, when I attend conventions they almost always have iOS and android apps with information on all of the presentations, what room they are in mad so forth. Then of course there are all the banking, restaurant purchasing etc apps that people use. We also use Asana, Basecamp and Slack for team management and I haven't been able to get them working although someone said you could sideload Slack.

I terms of low quality there are also a lot. The office suites for both iOS and Android are much better than BB in my experience. It is especially valuable that they rather seamlessly allow access to the documents across device (desktop, tablet and phone). Things like tasks managers while they exist on BB are limited it seems. One serious limitation for all of these is again the cross device capability of iOS and to a lesser extent Android. I use the same task manager on my phone, tablet and desktop and it is all synced. That is really just touching the surface.
    chenageddon likes this.
    09-05-15 04:49 PM
    Okay, first off, I only use apps in the BB store or Amazon Store. I'm not messing with trying things side loaded or whatever. So among those there are two types of app deficiency. One is that the app just isn't there. The section me is that there are apps that do about the same thing but in a way that os seriously deficient.

In the first category the first thing that comes to mind are apps for travel. I would argue that if you travel a lot BB is a non-starter. Each airline as well as Amtrak, various hotels and such have their own apps for iOS and Android but not BB. Being able to change flights and have to new boarding pass appear in the app or change seats from the app is really valuable. Also things like apps to track your incoming aircraft (to estimate delays) or which seats are best on your flight are not available on BB.

Then there are the literally hundreds of apps to find out which subway or bus to take or call a cab or other things needed in a new city. Also, when I attend conventions they almost always have iOS and android apps with information on all of the presentations, what room they are in mad so forth. Then of course there are all the banking, restaurant purchasing etc apps that people use. We also use Asana, Basecamp and Slack for team management and I haven't been able to get them working although someone said you could sideload Slack.

I terms of low quality there are also a lot. The office suites for both iOS and Android are much better than BB in my experience. It is especially valuable that they rather seamlessly allow access to the documents across device (desktop, tablet and phone). Things like tasks managers while they exist on BB are limited it seems. One serious limitation for all of these is again the cross device capability of iOS and to a lesser extent Android. I use the same task manager on my phone, tablet and desktop and it is all synced. That is really just touching the surface.
    Have you ever used BlackBerry Travel for flights etc? What about BlackBerry Blend for secure tablet and desktop integration? I own and run a business and there is no other mobile phone device but BlackBerry that I would use. There is simply nothing anywhere (yet) like the BlackBerry Hub for managing critical work emails. I could go on and on about my preferences for BlackBerry 10 over my Android tablet(s) and iPhone my daughter has in regards to OS and it's capabilities. It's all in preference and needs. I won't argue who has won the marketing war for the minds of the masses. BlackBerry has obviously failed there but the BlackBerry 10 OS is hands down the best. (And if one really wants Google Play it's quite simple via Cobalt method - no different than downloading 3 apps from the Play Store or Amazon)

Z10 on 10.3.2
    miker476 and medic22003 like this.
    09-06-15 09:33 AM

The last paragraph is utter BS!

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    09-06-15 09:35 AM
    Have you ever used BlackBerry Travel for flights etc? What about BlackBerry Blend for secure tablet and desktop integration? I own and run a business and there is no other mobile phone device but BlackBerry that I would use. There is simply nothing anywhere (yet) like the BlackBerry Hub for managing critical work emails. I could go on and on about my preferences for BlackBerry 10 over my Android tablet(s) and iPhone my daughter has in regards to OS and it's capabilities. It's all in preference and needs. I won't argue who has won the marketing war for the minds of the masses. BlackBerry has obviously failed there but the BlackBerry 10 OS is hands down the best. (And if one really wants Google Play it's quite simple via Cobalt method - no different than downloading 3 apps from the Play Store or Amazon)

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Yes, I have used Blackberry travel and it isn't what I am talking about. I am talking a out carrier specific apps that let you change flights, check upgrade lists, change seats and change flights. I am also talking about destination specific apps like ordering a Yellow cab, getting local bus information and as I said specific information on large conferences as examples. These are entire classes of apps not on BB10. Plus what I said about task managing apps, team managing apps office suites and messaging apps to name a few that are superior on iOS and Android.

I'm not sure what Blend has to do with anything. Will it let me run an iOS task manager on my q10? That's what I am talking about, running the same task manager on phone, tablet and desktop.

So no, BB can't do a huge about that iOS and android can do. If all you do is email BB10 isn't bad. But it really can't compete well in my experience past email.
    09-06-15 08:09 PM
    The last paragraph is utter BS!

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Well, it is pretty clearly true. See above post.
    09-06-15 08:09 PM
    Messaging apps better on Android or iOS. Are you talking about iMessanger? That's only available for Apple. Any cross platform messaging app such as Whatsapp and BBM work phenomenal on any BlackBerry 10 device.

As more and more companies switch to HTML 5 (as my own company has) the information renders the same across platforms (desktop,mobile, tablet) thus the mobile version is really NO different than an app. Simply add a bookmark and add to home screen. I can find bus routes, schedules, book a cab and track or handle flight info in exactly the same manner on my BlackBerry. Again I say BS.
    The difference is all in there-img_20150907_114828.png
    The difference is all in there-img_20150907_115128.png
    The difference is all in there-img_20150907_115206.png

Z10 on 10.3.2
    09-07-15 02:00 PM
    Messaging apps better on Android or iOS. Are you talking about iMessanger? That's only available for Apple. Any cross platform messaging app such as Whatsapp and BBM work phenomenal on any BlackBerry 10 device.

As more and more companies switch to HTML 5 (as my own company has) the information renders the same across platforms (desktop,mobile, tablet) thus the mobile version is really NO different than an app. Simply add a bookmark and add to home screen. I can find bus routes, schedules, book a cab and track or handle flight info in exactly the same manner on my BlackBerry. Again I say BS.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150907_114828.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	370249

Name:	IMG_20150907_115128.png 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	370250

Name:	IMG_20150907_115206.png 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	370251

Z10 on 10.3.2
    For messaging I meant Slack. Some you can use the web' others you can't. And you're picking a few examples. The apps are almost always better than the mobile web sites, where they exist.
    09-07-15 04:26 PM
    I could care less about snapchat but it won't work on bb10 regardless of html5
    Just saying

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 08:03 PM
    All we can do is express how truly committed to BB10 many of us are. Then pose the question, how would discontinuing a popular OS reflect on the future "Software" sales of a company trying to convince future buyers that they can trust BlackBerry to support and stand behind their products.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 08:43 PM
    Okay, first off, I only use apps in the BB store or Amazon Store. I'm not messing with trying things side loaded or whatever.
    Android runtime is a feature specifically added by BlackBerry themselves.

Therefore, you cannot really complain until you at least try the Android versions of the apps yourself. It would not be fair to BlackBerry if you complain without even fully utilizing all the features in the phone beforehand right?

I too use Android apps using Snap. I can tell you my phone would be a lot less useful without it.

Currently, I use Android bank apps to cash in cheques, as well as checking the balance. It works as good as native. In addition, I have Microsoft Office for Android which works well on my BlackBerry device too.

I guarantee you that the travel apps you mentioned would actually work properly on your BlackBerry phone too, if you bothered installing it.

The majority of Android apps work properly.
    09-07-15 09:56 PM
    For messaging I meant Slack. Some you can use the web' others you can't. And you're picking a few examples. The apps are almost always better than the mobile web sites, where they exist.
    When a site is built with HTML5 the information more or less renders the same across platforms ie tablet, mobile or desktop. A website for companies that really care where technology is today want the experience for the user the same as their app. I can use AMX, Wells Fargo, Chase, USAA and my local bank via the link added to my BlackBerry home screen and it renders just like an app and guess what it works JUST as good (but are arguably more secure with https) as they do on my Samsung Tab Pro Android tablet.

There is NOT one thing my Z10, Z30 or Passport cannot do vs. my Android tablet in helping me successfully run our business.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    09-07-15 10:38 PM