BlackBerry Ltd Threatened By Apple ? IBM Partnership

BBRY price tumbled after an Apple/IBM announcement of a suite of enterprise apps. The premise seems to be that IBM, with its connections within the enterprise sector, will push these apps and iOS devices on customers.

I thought it was already decided that it doesn't matter if Apple/IBM keep pushing iPhones and iPads? At the end of the day it's BES12 that is best suited to securely manage devices and apps, regardless of platform.

Posted via CB10 | Z30 STA100-5 | 10.3.1.1016
    12-11-14 07:32 AM
    Yeah im sure that this is somethign in the past. I think october or something?
    12-11-14 08:03 AM
    Yes it was already announced even before the Samsung partnership and lenova venture

Send from the amazing powers of the ? Z30
    12-11-14 08:08 AM
    I think the problem is that we are happy that BB is doing well with BES, but most people here care more about handsets. It the handset division will continue not being profitable for BB, many fear that BB will just become a software/service provider.
    12-11-14 08:25 AM
    Having industry specific apps has a lot of appeal. BlackBerry needs to deliver on this front.

Remember, we're talking business. That's where BlackBerry needs to shine.
    Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 08:42 AM
    I never worry about BlackBerry not supporting hand sets. Sure it may not be their best money maker in the future, but it does give them full control over their BB10, BES/10/12 software. Look at the android phone manufacturers and their struggle with software and added on bloat ware. As for Chen, you can see him lit with pride when he displays the Passport. I am sure it is a winner today and will continue to be in the future.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 09:18 AM
    Best suited depends on the company and it's needs.... Security would of course be a combination of BES with BB10 devices, which is why regulated industries have had to settle on BlackBerry. But for productivity and compatibility... it has been shown that most business are already choosing Apple as their mobile device of choice (hopefully with BES as the EMM). The AAPL/IBM deal is only going to help Apple keep it's dominance in enterprise, which does and will continue to threaten BlackBerry hardware sales.

And BES12 can manage iOS devices - iPhones & iPads.... but that is not the same as being the best at it.
    Comparison of MDM Providers | Enterprise iOS

Which is why hardware is STILL very important to the future of BlackBerry! If they can't provide a "complete" solution, then they open the door a little to other Device Management providers.

But the AAPL/IBM deal seems to just be about enterprise level apps, something that BlackBerry might also be getting more involved with as we have seen from the Cancer App. Just like with computers, a platform is only as good as the functionality that it provides. The more business related app a platform can provide the more productive it can make employees, the better suited it will be for business. A few hundred different quality apps for different sectors of business (Health, Legal, Retail, Production, Sales.....) could be worth much more than a few 100K generic apps.
    heartmoves likes this.
    12-11-14 09:46 AM