Are people aware of Blackberry phones being sold as 'PGP ENCRYPTED MOBILE PHONES' with their microphones removed & teamed with 'International sims'

Obvs these are popular in 'certain circles' but what is involved in creating a BBRY of a similar spec.

I take it they are reflashed with a complete new OS. They cant receive calls or SMS. They run a simple PGP/OTR system.

Beautiful & effective.

The media is avoiding covering these phones on the demand of the Govt no doubt. They have been around for years.

I'd like to create something similar as a test more than anything. Mic removal? How would you even go about it?

They seem to use BBRY OS7 and older phones. You are looking at $1500+ all in. Most ask for subscription costs too.

Thoughts?

PGP Encrypted Blackberry Phones | Encrypted Mobile
    BlackBerry Security • Myntex
    http://securemobile.me/pricing/
    Last edited by teknofish; 11-08-15 at 12:38 PM.
    11-08-15 12:03 PM
    related but I was assuming BlackBerry would create a similar system of encrypted data communication for the priv.

There are already services available for Android and IOS. Seems like a no brainer for BlackBerry.

!
    11-08-15 12:25 PM
    These are out selling off the shelf Blackberrys. Why isnt this getting noticed? Why is the media avoiding covering these dream crime phones?
    11-17-15 08:28 PM
    That's interesting

I don't have patience to sugarcoat things.
    11-17-15 09:05 PM
    Why spend all of that extra money for a glorified encrypted email device? If you're in the position to need security that bad you could build out your own certificate infrastructure and use a standard device.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 05:42 AM
    These are out selling off the shelf Blackberrys. Why isnt this getting noticed? Why is the media avoiding covering these dream crime phones?
    No evidence of this. Just because several companies offer the same service doesn't mean volumes are significant in total. Given the price structure I guarantee they are not.
    11-18-15 06:39 AM
    probably these companies just bought BES directly from BB and now just selling phones connected to their BES servers?
    Edit: added pic from the site
    Attached Thumbnails Did you know that BB phones are being sold as 'dodgy pgp encrypted mobile phones'?-how-works-xl.png  
    gugomat likes this.
    11-18-15 08:02 AM
    Are people aware of Blackberry phones being sold as 'PGP ENCRYPTED MOBILE PHONES' with their microphones removed & teamed with 'International sims'

Obvs these are popular in 'certain circles' but what is involved in creating a BBRY of a similar spec.

I take it they are reflashed with a complete new OS. They cant receive calls or SMS. They run a simple PGP/OTR system.

Beautiful & effective.

The media is avoiding covering these phones on the demand of the Govt no doubt. They have been around for years.

I'd like to create something similar as a test more than anything. Mic removal? How would you even go about it?

They seem to use BBRY OS7 and older phones. You are looking at $1500+ all in. Most ask for subscription costs too.

Thoughts?

PGP Encrypted Blackberry Phones | Encrypted Mobile
    BlackBerry Security � Myntex
    http://securemobile.me/pricing/
    If the microphone is removed is it really a phone?
    rthonpm and gugomat like this.
    11-18-15 09:23 AM
    If the camera is removed is it really a phone? BB sells a Classic w/o one on Verizon for enterprise.
    11-18-15 01:44 PM
    The camera is not a required component for telephony, the microphone kinda is.
    "Hello... Hello... Hello... Can you hear me?"
    Insert car analogy hear.

Geez...
    11-18-15 02:05 PM
    If the camera is removed is it really a phone? BB sells a Classic w/o one on Verizon for enterprise.
    I would think most people would say a microphone is necessary for a phone, whose basic purpose is to talk.
    TGR1 likes this.
    11-18-15 04:01 PM
    its just a secure communication device with surveillance weaknesses removed. Microphone is removed so it cant be remotely activated by law enforcement.
    11-25-15 01:15 PM
    No evidence of this. Just because several companies offer the same service doesn't mean volumes are significant in total. Given the price structure I guarantee they are not.

I am the only person I know that owns a normal blackberry I know several with these dodgy versions.
    11-25-15 01:16 PM
    Well im in the Mob and we take the mic out so Obama cant listen to me
    11-25-15 01:21 PM
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 12:04 PM
    Great find. I bet this will take off soon and people will buy services like this.
    12-01-15 01:27 PM
    Great find. I bet this will take off soon and people will buy services like this.
    Would you really overpay for a glorified pocket encrypted email app? There are much more effective ways to keep your communications private.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-15 05:41 AM
    Would you really overpay for a glorified pocket encrypted email app? There are much more effective ways to keep your communications private.

Posted via CB10

Variety is good. Different applications for different solutions should have different prices. Stick to your yahoo mail, you probably don't need this.
    12-03-15 11:54 AM
    Variety is good. Different applications for different solutions should have different prices. Stick to your yahoo mail, you probably don't need this.
    Laughable...

Active Directory with PGP: I just decide not to waste money on an overpriced crippled device, especially since I'm moving to federated S/MIME for my team.

How's that Yahoo mail looking now?
    12-03-15 12:00 PM
    Laughable...

Active Directory with PGP: I just decide not to waste money on an overpriced crippled device, especially since I'm moving to federated S/MIME for my team.

How's that Yahoo mail looking now?
    As I said, different people require different solutions. You're happy with your stock handset and upgrading to cryptographed email, so you don't need the solution advertised on this thread. I think it is important to have options, including different levels of security. Some businesses can't afford being spied on or hacked.
    12-04-15 07:31 AM
    I know there are companies that have been doing this for years but instead of the microphone, they remove the camera. They'll then turn around and resell the phones to enterprise clients for a massive markup.
    12-04-15 07:42 AM
    The Dutch feds just seized the servers.

HUGE.

https://thehackernews.com/2016/04/en...curity+Blog%29
    04-21-16 12:53 PM
    Until the screen is there. No need in it though.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 01:08 PM
    Its been PROVEN this week that all outgoing comms on mobiles are insecure & eves droppable. Only End to End encryption is safe. I dont see why we continue to use Mic's and voice when its unsafe.
    gugomat and MyntexInc like this.
    04-21-16 01:35 PM