According to Engadget Mobile on 2/20, Verizon unlocked GPS for Google Maps app (can't link).

So I deleted my previous Google Maps and installed the new one (v3.something). My location is still off by a few hundred yards. I made sure GPS was on, even changed one setting to On Location...

Running .109 native on a 9530. Thanks for any info.
    02-26-09 03:18 PM
    Click the little blue spot on the bottom of the screen. Its also not instantaneous, it takes a few seconds for the phone to talk to satellites.
    02-26-09 03:20 PM
    Mine's unlocked and working perfectly. This may seem like a dumb questions but you were outside when you tried this right?
    02-26-09 03:22 PM
    Mine's unlocked and working perfectly. This may seem like a dumb questions but you were outside when you tried this right?
    Yeah when you click the blue dot in the lower right corner it should say its waiting for GPS. You need to be able to receive a signal from several gps satellites for it to work so it works best if you are outside.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 03:33 PM
    Mines been working ever since I bought my phone.
    02-26-09 03:35 PM
    I was a little bored on the train the other day, so I loaded up Google Maps, and it managed to track my progress pretty well.

But just to clarify, the GPS has always been unlocked with the Storm. aGPS is still locked AFAIK. Google just needed to make a few simple changes to Google Map to keep it from failing if it couldn't get aGPS to lock. After a lot of hemming and hawing, they finally seem to have made this fix. The problem was ALWAYS with Google Maps, NOT the Storm. But of course the important thing now, is that it's working.
    02-26-09 03:41 PM
    i have the same prob with my map
    02-26-09 03:44 PM
    Trapster and VZ Nav.

I hate google maps with a passion. Especially the new one that integrates latitude. It's not as straight forward and doesn't have many features at all. (Perhaps it does and i'm just blind.) In that case it's not very user friendly.

Just run trapster in the background, fire up VZ Nav... and i'm set. Better yet, hot key each one for fast switching.
    02-26-09 03:51 PM
    cant you just use the search function i swear there are about 50 threads on this already
    02-26-09 04:19 PM
    cant you just use the search function i swear there are about 50 threads on this already
    I saw nothing one the past 2 pages (unless I missed something) and figured this was a fairly new development for Verizon and warrented a new topic.

But yeah, I was indoors (not a military bunker or anything) and thought it would still pickup the signal. It was guessing 5000 Meters. Went outside and tried, within 3 meters. Awesome!

And I think GPS working with Maps didn't work with all phones because a month ago, outside, it would guess within 3000 meters.
    02-26-09 04:41 PM
    you need to be outside and line of sight to the satellite. Inside you just get cell tower positioning to +/- 1600 meters.
    02-26-09 04:49 PM
    GPS is line of sight? Or can it at least go through thin surfaces like a car roof?

I learn something new everyday...
    02-26-09 04:52 PM
    Not line of site, just not in a home it may cause problems, threw multiple walls and windows. But I have had mine work inside no problem. But you should have no problem when in your car. Since you car roof is not 4-5 inches think.
    02-26-09 04:56 PM
    Car roofs can be an issue for GPS (my Nuvi won't work from the backseat)
    02-26-09 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD