With the recent announcement of the delay of BB 10 until Q1 of next year, did it ever occur to anyone since it may be caused due to software issues, that might be the reason RIM held off with officially announcing any more of the phones features other then the few that we already know of? This way, when BB 10 finally is released we may be getting a watered down O/S. Rim might have to remove things that were originally supposed to be on this phone just to make everything work together. With them not giving away a lot of the phones features from the get go, they may have figured that since they never really gave us much to go by as far as the phones capabilities, if they were to omit things, we would never know the difference. They may have known all along that there were going to be possibilities of them encountering problems, so they were playing it safe. If this is partly the case, all I can say is smart move on their part. Was just thinking about this since QNX is a totally new format. Some snags may have gotten in the way to prevent this phone from being released on time. Just a rant. Not doing this to cause harm, just something to think about, as I did
    06-30-12 04:16 PM
    You have made an assumption - that the OS is more feature complete than the canned demos we have seen so far - is there really anything to strip out?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    06-30-12 04:19 PM
    With RIM, one never knows or can tell. I am sure in the past when they announced things and then when the phone was finally released, things that were supposed to be on it, never made it to the final release. This is of course not only limited to RIM, as other platforms have done this too. Get everyone all hyped up with what the capabilities are, and then when they are released, a lot are let down
    06-30-12 04:22 PM
    If the watered down OS doesn't measure up to Android, and IOS, BB10 will be nuked by the media. They can't afford to leave anything out, RIM has to release something so good it gives everyone heart palpitations. The delay will only ramp up people's expectations, meaning they won't have any excuses for not getting it right.
    Toodeurep and Stewartj1 like this.
    06-30-12 04:29 PM
    The new OS does not have to measure up to Android and IOS.
    In fact, the opposite is true... Android and IOS have to fail to measure up to the new OS.
    I have a hunch that the delays hinge on the fact that the new OS also has to run as a desktop OS... because without a desktop OS Rim will always trail the competition.
    06-30-12 05:00 PM
    The new OS does not have to measure up to Android and IOS.
    In fact, the opposite is true... Android and IOS have to fail to measure up to the new OS.
    I have a hunch that the delays hinge on the fact that the new OS also has to run as a desktop OS... because without a desktop OS Rim will always trail the competition.

they will never release it as a desktop os. QNX cannot run the same programs as windows and mac os without them being ported over. such a product would fail miserably unless they were able to run programs from all computer os's. (which would be very hard)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-01-12 08:32 PM
    they will never release it as a desktop os. QNX cannot run the same programs as windows and mac os without them being ported over. such a product would fail miserably unless they were able to run programs from all computer os's. (which would be very hard)

I just need VMWare on QNX and I can load the other OS's
    07-01-12 08:43 PM
    in order for an os to have mass popularity, it must work OUT OF THE BOX. most people (especially isheep) are bad with computers and have been trained to expect the os to do whats advertised without hacking. unless rim could make the support work out of the box, there would only be appeal among a very small user base (out of box support would differentiate the os from others, and then people would switch without worrying about losing their apps/programs

07-01-12 09:41 PM

Why would you assume that RIM would never release a product that is destined to fail miserably? Lol

The 4G PlayBook will fail miserably and they are still moving forward with it. To be honest. If they made an OS that could actually do usb host mode and they stuck it in a nicely made ultrabook form factor, I would buy one.

I'm sure it would fail, but I would still want and use it. The PlayBook failed miserably also, but I still enjoy using mine.
    07-01-12 10:00 PM
    You guys do know QNX does run on x86 so desktops and I believe there is a desktop written for it but there probably is not that much software. You could probably easily port a huge number of linux programs that are open source to a qnx laptop super quickly. Still it would only be as popular as linux so not a big win there...

Hopefully we will see more than what was in the demo. To be honest if they just release the playbook os but more stable and still with flash I will be happy. I was contemplating android but they are dropping flash support in the future
    07-02-12 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD