Hi All,

I'd like to use my phone for dial up when I'm at my cottage (no landline or wimax). I've been trying to find out if Rogers $30 6GB data plan (which I already have) includes tethering and have been getting mixed answers. I'm still trying to get clarification on that, so if anyone knows definitively I'd love to here the answer but that's not the main reason for this post.

From what I can tell all tethering seems to involve a dial up a number that you connect to just like with dial up internet service. So couldn't you use your phone to dial into a normal dial up provider, rather than your mobile phone companies dial up? The idea would be to get unlimited minutes to the dial up access number (using MY5 Canada-wide) and then dial them and use your unlimited dial up for $5/mo (or whatever it is these days). The only reason I could think of why this wouldn't work is if the modem function in blackberries and other modern phones isn't the same as the ones used for landline dial up. I'd still prefer to hear that Rogers allows tethering on the 30/6 plan but if not (and I fail to get retentions to give it to me) then this seems like a palatable way to get dial up when out of range of any other telecom option and wanting to use a full size notebook, however briefly that is.

So, will it work?

Take Care,
    Josh
    09-05-08 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD