I have been unable to find an answer to the following question.
    I use the blackberry storm, and I know that if you wipe the handheld with Encryption Mode turned on to device encryption, with media files on your memory card in an encrypted (.rem) state, then these files are unrecoverable after the wipe, and the memory card must be reformatted to continue using it.

My question is this, is there a way to backup whatever encryption key is used by the device so that after a reformat, or changing to a new or replacement device, this key can be restored to allow access to previously encrypted media files on the memory card? (I say key assuming it is a key used for encryption but in general, where would this specifically be found to be able to backup?)
    05-06-09 10:38 AM
    I have found (on my Curve), that once the Encryption Mode has been turned OFF, that if you Copy/Paste or MOVE the .rem files to a new directory, the copied file(s) will not have the .rem extension. This worked for pictures, videos and ringtones, I have no idea if it will also work for other types of files.
    05-06-09 12:42 PM
    Thank you for that reply bear. It does not exactly address the solution I'm looking for though. For example, I would like to be able to restore from a crash/broken device, etc. in that I would be able to have the necessary file in restoring my device to access the*.rem files after restoring. I hope that cleared up my question and makes sense.
    05-06-09 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD