So everyone knows the down side possibilities that RIM faces. Nobody is talking about the possible upside. There are some that believe what is about to transpire is a revolution once again in the cell phone industry. (it�s no longer going to be just cell phones)
    Both the 2 current market leaders are about to hit a wall, as to the capacities of their operating systems. For separate reasons. Yes they have millions of apps and are currently fantastic devices (so is my OS 7 device for me) Yet like most revolutions nobodies is talking about it because they don�t see it coming.
    The ability to do more, almost anything with a �mobile device� is just around the corner. The current leaders OS�s were not built with this in mind! They were media consumption systems and a copy of a media consumption system.
    Imbedded device to device communication was totally missed, now due to a walled garden and a fractured/spastic malware magnet as top 2, the next generation of mobile devices will need to look else ware for the OS of the future. Enter RIM/QNX.
    With all this in mind RIM set to work before they actually even bought QNX. The enormity of the task due to the enormity of the future possibilities is the main reason for delays. All that time not really being able to inform the fans/customers of their plans. We all can understand why. During which time they have been selling into the market with BB7, a BB7 that has been good enough to keep them in 3rd place.
    It�s becoming clear that RIM has the financial capacity to deliver BB10 to market with the marketing effort that will be needed to explain the future to the masses. After the launch we will start to see the shift.
    I can imagine some of the players that are going to jump on board that others may have missed. Everyone likes to talk about Samsung and for good reason. Device to device communication is in their future for sure. How about HP, nobody has every spoke of the possibilities of their future needs with device to device communication. That nobody but RIM will be able to provide. They missed the mark with Palm or perhaps they didn�t feel the OS was strong enough. LG is another company that will need a stronger OS for their future D2D communications. The list of current hardware manufacturers that have nothing to do with cell phones is long, VERY LONG. D2D communications is going to hit in a way that apple hit with the iphone. With a bang! Everyone will watch with amassment as all those apps get rewrote so quickly. HTML5 baby!
    If Samsung can make an android and a WP why not a BBOS. If Nokia can�t sell into a WP only market why not a BBOS. From the home to the car and at the office. D2D is needed and now! The fact is, once it hits everyone moves fast! And perception will change even faster. Until then well we just don�t know. But one thing is for sure. RIM understands where they�re going and have for a long time. It�s too bad they had to do it under such scrutiny
    Last edited by Dapper37; 09-07-12 at 06:45 AM.
    jenks5150 likes this.
    09-07-12 04:44 AM
    Imbedded device to device communication was totally missed
    Embedded systems have been the lifeblood of QNX for many years now. QNX has also been quite smart about getting into bed with anyone and everyone. To be successful, QNX has to work with as many mobile devices as possible. For instance, the QNX-based system in the Chevy Sonic will work with all the major devices or the QNX based iDrive Office system in BMWs will work with iPhones running IOS 6. QNX wants to work with as many companies out there as possible.

RIM's handle on this market is through QNX, but QNX will be much more successful if it works with all the device manufacturers out there and their massive installed base, rather than just BB10 devices. Any special abilities stemming from BB10 would be gravy, but the meat and potatoes would be RIM owning a company that can enable these functions with any device.

If I was running QNX I sure wouldn't tie its success to the success of only one mobile device. Android is now activating 1.3M devices per day; if I was QNX I would sure want a piece of that pie. Might be a very lucrative way for RIM to diversify as well - much more so than it has so far.
    Last edited by cynicalreader; 09-07-12 at 09:56 AM.
    jenks5150 likes this.
    09-07-12 07:24 AM
    i agree with both but Android and Apple have a strangle hold on the market, its goign to take a bit of work to get these people to move, especially when people are comparing a dated 8300 curve to a modern iPhone4S or Galaxy. of course its goign to be slower and of course its not goign to be as vivid, its old technology
    09-07-12 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD