Hey CrackBerrians. I have been (like many on this board) digesting the latest news and both the spoken and unspoken comments from BBRY management from the latest earnings release for the last few days. (Thanks to all for the great discussions on this board.)
    I have fallen back to my signature tagline found at the bottom on my posts. "Device Agnosticism or Bust!"

I have always tried to maintain my digital live in such a way that my data and on line presence are independent of the device I use. I have been a BBRY user for about 8 or 9 years. For music (.mp3 and .flac), movies (.avi and .mp4), books (.mobi) and productivity (.xls and .doc and .ppt and .pdf) I use third party applications to access and use and/or edit these files.

With the recent news it looks like I may need to put this independent agnostic philosophy to the test! I think I have a good grasp on media and productivity activities. I was hoping the members here could help me with how I can perhaps manage contacts and calendars in a more independent way. Currently I back up contacts via Outlook to a spreadsheet; which is not ideal but is workable to load or access else where if necessary. My calendar is also all in my phone. Any alternatives members here could recommend for a off phone independent calendar?

(I'm not thinking of leaving the BBRY platform anytime soon mostly because I have tried the competitors and found them all wanting! The truth is I will likey I will keep using BBRY for many more years!)
    09-28-15 08:00 PM
    I think calDAV and cardDAV might be the best way to go. Then you can run your own calendar and contact server if you like, or choose from among many different online services that support those formats. Among the many host-your-own solutions, ownCloud supports this format, and there's also a program called Baikal that you can add to a webserver if you have one.
    CivilDissident and glamrlama like this.
    09-29-15 09:48 AM
    I think calDAV and cardDAV might be the best way to go. Then you can run your own calendar and contact server if you like, or choose from among many different online services that support those formats. Among the many host-your-own solutions, ownCloud supports this format, and there's also a program called Baikal that you can add to a webserver if you have one.
    #CoSign... All of this ^

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:42 AM
    My technique is to use Outlook on the desktop to manage my contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. Then I just select a phone app that syncs to Outlook, and to the native phone PIM apps. Right now I'm using VC Calendar on a Nexus 4 (Android). Before I used Pocket Informant on my Blackberries. Works great for me.

- R.
    09-29-15 01:53 PM
    Thanks I will look into that. Looks like a few options available.
    09-29-15 02:59 PM
    My technique is to use Outlook on the desktop to manage my contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. Then I just select a phone app that syncs to Outlook, and to the native phone PIM apps. Right now I'm using VC Calendar on a Nexus 4 (Android). Before I used Pocket Informant on my Blackberries. Works great for me.

- R.
    I dont have Outlook at the moment but I should on the near future. Reminds me that i may have some older system around with old Outlook data on them. Thanks. If i recall Outlook has a multitude of export functions.
    09-29-15 03:01 PM